PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED Black Rapid camera strap

paullus
4th October 2011, 09:56 PM
I just want to point out that this post has been written with help from my wife of 32 years and she has read it before posting.
For years I've been searching for a satisfactory way to carry my camera about. There have been loads of things said about the supplied straps which are not great. I had been using a Matin Comfort strap which was the best I'd found to date. My wife does have an ample bosom and hated the way the camera sits and bounces around so much on a neck strap that she had resorted to using nothing more than a wrist strap which is less than ideal.
So, I know there are much cheaper alternatives, Sun Sniper and other copies but after a lot of deliberation I have bought a Black Rapid RS-7 for me and an RS-W1 for my wife. (S=Shaped and S-W= Shaped for Women).
They were ordered from Amazon, delivered, fitted and quickly found to be superb in design, quality and function. Both straps are comfortable and inovative; making for a smooth, simple and easy way to bring the camera from its resting position to the eye and back again.
The RS-W1 is even more impressive because it does very cleverly fit the female form in a far more comfortable and considerate way. There are various videos on the net of both of these versions in use so you can see for for yourself.
We will never go back to the conventional type of neck strap now though.

Wreckdiver
4th October 2011, 10:58 PM
Also, try these: OpTech Pro camera strap (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-optech-pro-camera-strap-black/p1007795)

Much more comfortable than the Olympus strap and they don't slide off your shoulder.

Steve

paullus
5th October 2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks Steve I had forgotten about my Op-Tech, it's lying in a drawer virtually unused as I found the Matin Comfort Strap far more comfortable.
The sling type straps are in a different league though.
I'll put the Op-Tech in the classified ads section if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
Steve.

jchallen
5th October 2011, 06:13 AM
Thanks Steve I had forgotten about my Op-Tech, it's lying in a drawer virtually unused as I found the Matin Comfort Strap far more comfortable.
The sling type straps are in a different league though.
I'll put the Op-Tech in the classified ads section if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
Steve.

I too have found the benefits of the sling strap, but as I still use a neck strap on occasion and as I have developed a good system with Op Tech kit (see other posts) I have found the the Op Tech sling adapter very comfortable.

As the name suggests it let's you convert a neck to to a sling strap. I have, however swapped the supplied buckles with a Blackrapid hook and eye as I find that a tripod socket attachment works better for sling straps.

Wreckdiver
5th October 2011, 06:26 AM
There's always Pete's (Snaarman) homemade strap which looks very good: Snaarstrap (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8269&highlight=Snaarstrap)

Steve

paullus
7th October 2011, 03:54 PM
Just out of interest has anyone attached a sling to the D-ring of a Manfrotto 200PL tripod QR plate. Black Rapid do a custom connecting screw which replaces the Manfrotto one but it's 15. I attached a luggage weighing scale to the QR plate screw and pulled over 10 Kgs on it without any apparent signs of weakness. I doubt anyone would carry that much weight around their neck. Therefore it would appear that attaching to the QR plate screw is a viable option if required.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Steve

Doug H
7th October 2011, 09:52 PM
I use the Manfrotto plate all the time on my E-3. I also tested the screw and in the sort of use I put it to it's been fine - normally at weddings when I carry two cameras in the same way and I literally lower one to pick up the other.

I did, however, have a problem with the snap hook when the snap hook was the wrong way in on the plate and the plate effectively levered the spring bit open and allowed the hook to come loose so when I let go of that camera it went crashing onto the ground! Fortunately it was grass and no damage to camera or lens - it fell on the flash which needed a quick emergency repair.

Learnt my lesson and changed the hook so it won't happen in that way again.
I also keep a Manfrotto plate on the tripod mount of my 50-200 on a second strap if I am just using one camera so I can do a lens change with more confidence if I have nowhere good to put down the lens.

Using my home made BR strap has made carrying cameras on my shoulders much more comfortable than anything around my neck.

Doug

MotoCroz
27th November 2011, 09:37 PM
Just found this link which would of stopped it crashing, a cracking idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ytTZqU0okE

Doug H
27th November 2011, 10:00 PM
Interesting - have tried several "safety straps" to avoid the same problem but found that - for me - they all tended to be more of a nuisance and got in the way when quick access to the cameras/battery/card were necessary.
I'd love to be able to find the small locking carabiners on a swivel hook though - the only ones I have found are simply not strong enough for my liking.

Doug