PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for e510

SPT
3rd October 2011, 06:04 PM
I have digital slr zuiko 14-42mm, 40-150, 70-300 lenses, I want to be able to zoom close to wildlife which is far away, I don't get close enough with the 70-300 lense, is there some sort of attatchement that will convert the lenses to allow for greater detail in further distance ? Very basic question, but any help appreciated.

Tordan58
3rd October 2011, 08:17 PM
Hi,

You could attach a teleconverter (EC14 (1.4X) or EC20 (2.0 X)) to the 70-300 although it will impact on the lens speed (1 or 2 EV steps) and you will need good light conditions for the setup to be useful (shake blur, focusing may also be difficult on low contrast subjects).

/Tord

Greytop
4th October 2011, 07:18 PM
Tord is spot on with his suggestions, details of the EC-14 here (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_ZUIKO_DIGITAL_1_4x_Teleconverter_EC-14.htm) and the EC-20 here (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_ZUIKO_DIGITAL_2_0x_Teleconverter_EC-20_.htm)
Any one have any 70-300 plus teleconverter examples?

zuiko-holic
4th October 2011, 09:28 PM
I have digital slr zuiko 14-42mm, 40-150, 70-300 lenses, I want to be able to zoom close to wildlife which is far away, I don't get close enough with the 70-300 lense, is there some sort of attatchement that will convert the lenses to allow for greater detail in further distance ? Very basic question, but any help appreciated.

Well, you do realize that 70-300 is equal to 140-600mm (equiv.) and this as far as a lens can go without needing to sell your car in order to buy it (excluding mirror lenses of course).

EC-14 is a good solution but you will lose 1EV and you will have 100-420mm (200-840mm equiv.) @f8 wide open.
Since you need to stop-down in order to get the optimal performance from the lens, then, your working apertures will be f/11 and f/16.

Not that good...

For that reason, I cannot even suggest the EC-20 with 70-300.

There is of course the Bigma (which seems to give very pleasing results if you get a good copy) and you may want to consider a used Zuiko 50-200mm (which is a far better lens than the 70-300) and an EC-20.

Nick Temple-Fry
4th October 2011, 09:34 PM
I'd be a bit careful coupling a teleconverter to the 70-300 on an e-510, the camera is quite a way back in terms of sensor performance and the higher iso's you'll need to drive shutter speed may (especially at this time of the year) lead to noise issues. Certainly I'd avoid using the ec2.0, it really does need the more expensive lenses in front of it.

Ian has both teleconverters on the hire list, might be worth hiring the ec1.4 and giving it a try first.

Nick

David M
4th October 2011, 10:11 PM
If you've got the manual focusing skills fast legacy glass is a good option. There's a few lenses that come to mind depending on your budget and the length you desire.

The OM Zuiko 350mm f2.8 is my lens of choice. Works well with either the EC-14 or OM 1.4x-A tele-convertors to give you a 500mm f4 or the OM 2x-A to give you a 700mm f5.6.

The screw mount EBC Fujinon 600mm f5.6 is a rare but good lens. It's external focus so a bit of a pain to use compared to an internal focus lens but the sample I had was sharp although had some CA at times. I think I paid 300 for mine.

Then there's the more exotic but (strangely) much more common Nikkor 600mm f5.6 IFED. Good close focusing, sharp and being internal focus easier to use. There was a few of these converted to OM mount for photographers using the OM system and who needed a good long lens. I still regret selling my OM fit sample.

Having listed the 600mm above, the lens I'd look for to use on a 4/3 body is the Nikkor 400mm f3.5 IFED. I never used one in my film shooting days but it was reported to be sharper than the 600mm and it's a stop and a third faster.

paulthomas
22nd October 2011, 09:08 AM
The samples I've seen of the 70-300 with a teleconverter have all been poor IMO. I wouldn't recommend that combination. Assuming the ZD 300/2.8 is out of your price range (which is for most people) I'd suggest that you buy a portable hide and let the wildlife come to you. I use a portable hide a lot for photographing waders and water fowl. The one I use most is called a "Mini-dome Hide" from a company called Wildlife Watching Supplies. I like it because it gives me a nice low shooting angle. A lot cheaper than a teleconverter too.