PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Panasonic 14-42mm and IS on the PEN

George Dorn
27th September 2011, 09:51 PM
Has anyone experience of the 14-42mm Panasonic lens on a PEN body? There is no OIS switch on the lens, so what happens? I've searched, but my Google Fu is weak.

meach
28th September 2011, 12:39 AM
Assuming the Pens work the same as E series DSLRs (I've never used a Pen) then the I.S. is in body and will work with any lens, whether it has stabilisation or not. However, if you use a lens which does have I.S. then you can use it either in the body or in the lens, but NOT both as they will work against each other. So the answer in this case is - just switch it on in camera and Bob's your uncle. No doubt if I'm wrong someone who actually knows the answer will be along to put me right.

Zuiko
28th September 2011, 01:50 AM
The 14-42mm "lost" the Mega OIS switch of it's predesessor, the 14-45mm. http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10030701pana14mm42mm.asp

As far as I can tell, the OIS is now active all the time, although from the menu in Panny bodies you can vary it so that it only activates upon pressing the shutter button, or configure it for horizontal panning.

What I'm not clear about is whether the OIS is active full time on Olympus cameras. Best to assume it is and turn the Olympus IS off.

StephenL
28th September 2011, 06:36 AM
Just to muddy the waters, my understanding is that unless it is switched ON by the body, the 14-42 IS is OFF in the lens. This of course relates to Panasonic bodies. That's because the lens needs an electrical input to operate its in-lens IS mechanism.

So, with this lens on an Oly body, the IS is OFF by default so you can happily switch ON the body IS. That's because the Oly body does not have an output to power the in-lens IS.

George Dorn
28th September 2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks folks

Can anyone suck it and see?

Zuiko
28th September 2011, 07:25 AM
Just to muddy the waters, my understanding is that unless it is switched ON by the body, the 14-42 IS is OFF in the lens. This of course relates to Panasonic bodies. That's because the lens needs an electrical input to operate its in-lens IS mechanism.

So, with this lens on an Oly body, the IS is OFF by default so you can happily switch ON the body IS. That's because the Oly body does not have an output to power the in-lens IS.

That makes sense, Stephen, I did wonder about this. :)

I also wonder why Panasonic had to change a perfectly goood lens (14-45mm) in the first place. I fail to see in what way the 14-42mm is an improvement. :confused:

StephenL
28th September 2011, 07:29 AM
That makes sense, Stephen, I did wonder about this. :)

I also wonder why Panasonic had to change a perfectly goood lens (14-45mm) in the first place. I fail to see in what way the 14-42mm is an improvement. :confused:

The usual - cost cutting :rolleyes:

DJMC
28th September 2011, 04:49 PM
:confused:

George, why the Panasonic 14-42 and not an Olympus one for the PEN?

:confused:

George Dorn
28th September 2011, 06:41 PM
George, why the Panasonic 14-42 and not an Olympus one for the PEN?

Well often it's first come, first served as to what kit is available in my household... I'm sure that there's going to be an occasion when I grab the bag and it's going to have the Panasonic lens in it. Having fiddled with and tried the combination I can't be sure that I'm getting any IS at all!

Confirmation of what should happen would be nice. Olympus seem to be a bit tardy in replying to my query.

@ StephenL - the lack of a supply to the OIS in the lens that you mention would mean that both systems wouldn't kick in and cause a conflict, then. However, I'm not sure that the IBIS hasn't been nerfed.

PS for me, the P. and O. versions of the lens have quite similar image quality.