PDA

View Full Version : Olympus EP2 Versus Olympus E450

emalamb900
27th September 2011, 11:17 AM
I own an Olympus E450. I have only the standard lens that comes with it the 14-44 mm

I like taking portraits and was looking at buying a new lens.

I am going traveling for 6 months and wanted a small camera that takes good pictures and allows me to control the apperture. While looking for lenses for my E450 I came across the Olympus PL2 camera and have seen some great deals

I just wanted to ask some advice. Would it be a good camera to trade my more bulky E450 in for without down grading the quality of my photos too much?

DekHog
27th September 2011, 11:20 AM
You'd actually be upgrading your picture quality, not downgrading it - the E-PL2 knocks out images on a par with the E-5.....

emalamb900
27th September 2011, 11:28 AM
Hiya

And is the lack of viewfinder a massive problem or does overall the gain of being a more compact camera out weigh the negatives?

StephenL
27th September 2011, 12:03 PM
Hiya

And is the lack of viewfinder a massive problem or does overall the gain of being a more compact camera out weigh the negatives?

That's really a personal thing. For me, I can't usually work without a viewfinder, except in certain circumstances such as close-ups. Other people find using an LCD screen fine. But you can always fit the excellent VF-2 viewfinder to the E-PL2.

timg
27th September 2011, 12:54 PM
I am going traveling for 6 months

The one quote I remember when going travelling is "don't take anything you aren't prepared to lose"... I'm not saying you will lose/damage it but anything can happen while you're away!

DekHog
27th September 2011, 05:10 PM
Hiya

Like Stephen says, it's really down to the individual if they can live with using only the LCD for composition. My VF-2 is more or less welded to my own E-PL2, but that's just me..... if you're going to encounter bright sunshine I wouldn't like to be stuck with no VF - you end up doing the 'shoot and hope' thing as you can't actually see what's on the LCD....

DJMC
27th September 2011, 05:22 PM
For greater pocketability, consider the XZ-1 too.

Certainly on a par with the E-450 for image quality.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-XZ-1-vs-Olympus_E-450/specs

;)

yorky
27th September 2011, 05:49 PM
You certainly wouldn't be losing any quality, I have the ep2 which is a great camera and I use it when the E5 would be too bulky and heavy, the ep2 doesn't attract much attention either and the level gauges on the screen are very useful. The only thing I have against it it is rather slower to use for moving objects.

Ulfric M Douglas
27th September 2011, 06:43 PM
Since everyone's ignoring this bit I'll chime in.
... I like taking portraits and was looking at buying a new lens.
Buy an old manual 50mmF1.8 (or thereabouts) lens from a car-boot sale then buy an adapter for that lens to 4/3rds (Roxsen on ebay are good & cheap) and you've got a splendid portrait setup for about 20 total cost.

Or buy a new Olympus Pen and still have to find a decent portrait lens setup.
The e-P2 and e-pL2 are two different cameras by the way, you mention both as if they're the same.

(By the way the 40-150MkI lens for your e-450 can take very nice portraits)