PDA

View Full Version : E-510 or E-1

Ijay37
10th November 2007, 08:06 PM
As someone with limited finances as anyone any advice whether or not I should sell my E-1 body and buy an E-510 in other words wich is the best camera for a hobbyist. I can't see me being able to afford an E-3.
John OAP

Ian
10th November 2007, 08:26 PM
As someone with limited finances as anyone any advice whether or not I should sell my E-1 body and buy an E-510 in other words wich is the best camera for a hobbyist. I can't see me being able to afford an E-3.
John OAP

Hi John,

It really depends on what you need from your camera. The E-1 is still capable of very fine images as long as you don't need high ISO and particularly big enlargements or severe cropping.

The main benefits for moving to an E-510 are: slow shutter speed stability with Image Stabilisation, smaller and lighter body(but less robust and not splashproof), live view, high ISO performance.

Which lens/es do you have at the moment?

Ian

Ijay37
11th November 2007, 12:07 AM
Hi Ian
Thanks for your input, I have the 14-54 & 50-150 lenses I am thinking of buying the new 70-300 to replace the 50-150.
My daughter has an A3 printer so that is the largest print I would be using.
John

R MacE
11th November 2007, 12:32 AM
Hi John,

if you don't intend printing larger than A3 then the E-1 should be fine. Obviously there's less room for cropping but that said I've had 20"x16" prints done by Photobox and was happy with the results.

Richard

Hiding_Pup
12th November 2007, 01:23 AM
Waterproofing didn't figure on my dSLR wish-list when I bought my E-1 but, standing on a beach in the rain the other day, and not even thinking about putting my camera away when other photographers were reaching for their waterproof gear, made me realise how much I depended on it, even if I wasn't actively using it most of the time.

That, and the 100% viewfinder which has improved my photography no end, would make me opt for an E-1 over an E-510.

Maybe try one of those up-res programs for Photoshop before giving up on the E-1?

DTD
12th November 2007, 10:29 AM
I'd keep the E-1, unless you are regulary missing photos that you could get with the 510.

yorky
12th November 2007, 06:46 PM
I have never used the E1 but if you are used to the weight of the E1 I wouldn't bother upgrading yet. The 510 is a fine camera and the i. s.system works well, but betterthe devil you know, Ifyou weight the E3 will no doubt become cheaper in six months or so.