PDA

View Full Version : To beep or not to beep

andym
30th April 2008, 08:12 PM
One of the first things I do with any new camera is to find out how to turn the focus beep off.
I dont even normally look for the focus confimation light I try to rely on my eyes.
Any other thoughts??

Chillimonster
30th April 2008, 08:33 PM
Off for me too - sounds too much like a P&S with it on :D

Graham_of_Rainham
30th April 2008, 08:42 PM
Why oh why must everything beep nowdays? :confused:

I turn off as many sound effects as I can.

Just wish I could do the same with some people... :(

JohnGG
30th April 2008, 08:58 PM
They probably make them beep for "health & safety" reasons, I hope you all did a risk assessment before turning it off ;)

Cheers,

JohnGG

P.S. mine's silenced as well :)

250swb
30th April 2008, 09:22 PM
I leave mine switched on with the E3, who am I kidding, if I want to be quiet I use a Leica, and the clunk of the shutter of the E3 easily compliments the sound of the beep.

Steve

DerekW
30th April 2008, 09:54 PM
Given the E-3 lights up the centre focus point indicating which point is being used prior to confirming focus I use the beep to confirm focus instead of being mislead by the focus point.

DTD
30th April 2008, 10:06 PM
One nice thing about the Ricoh GRD-2 is you can turn everything off – including the display and the power lamp.

Ellie
30th April 2008, 10:28 PM
Off, after realising it worried animals. :o

ndl0071
1st May 2008, 07:08 AM
It's off for me too, on both the 510 and E1.

j.baker
1st May 2008, 07:42 AM
Just like road runner... Beep Beep for me

(Yes I know is should be Meep for roadrunner)

knikki
1st May 2008, 09:25 AM
Mine beeps I think it makes it reassuring and homely :D :D

Scapula Memory
1st May 2008, 10:04 AM
I am with Graham on this one. There is far too much beeping going on, not just with cameras but with just about every electronic item in my house. Silence is golden sometimes and I like my cameras quiet.....*zzz

HughofBardfield
1st May 2008, 11:20 AM
Given the E-3 lights up the centre focus point indicating which point is being used prior to confirming focus I use the beep to confirm focus instead of being mislead by the focus point.

Wearing glasses and using an ME1 means I can't see the green viewfinder indicator on the E510. The E1 display is much better (and the E3 when I can afford one).

For that reason, I prefer the "beep" on - but switch it off if I'm shooting birds or other animals. Having said that, it seems to be an asset sometimes in zoos - it attracts some animals' attention and gets them to look at you.

gno
1st May 2008, 05:25 PM
Isn't the Beep for when you're reversing!

Mine would be off if I had one.

Gavin

Barr1e
1st May 2008, 05:49 PM
Isn't the Beep for when you're reversing!

Mine would be off if I had one.

Gavin

Hi and welcome.

Regards. Barr1e

(I prefer the beep.)

OlyFlyer
4th May 2008, 04:01 PM
Mine is on most of the time. In quiet environment I switch it off. I know the camera is not exactly quiet but not every focus confirmation results in an image. Since I try to keep my camera aimed an in focus all the time, it would result in a lot of beeps, so I switch it off if necessary.

shenstone
4th May 2008, 04:48 PM
I'm like Oly Flyer. It's on when useful (noisy, busy environments) and off when it would be a distraction to others (Nature etc).

IMHO it's like any tool it's for use when you need it no sense in just putting it to one setting and leaving it as such.

Regards
Andy

Graham_of_Rainham
17th May 2008, 10:48 PM
I just may have changed my mind on this. The beep has its uses in certian lighting conditions when it's hard to see the indicators clearly.

Like so many things, it has its uses and there just may well be a time and place for all the features of the E-System after all... :)

Graham