PDA

View Full Version : Processing programs: ib and Viewer 2

DaveC
21st September 2011, 12:27 AM
I have just started looking at the two programs included with the E-5. Can somebody please explain the differences between them and/or where I can find more info. Such as: are they non-destructive in their processing? In ib are my image files actually copied so am I working on copies? Any help appreciated.

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd September 2011, 12:06 AM
I looked at ib some time ago, it seems to be more aimed at those upgrading from a compact camera than for 'serious' use.

Viewer gives you choice when you save (save as, or save), obviously save overwrites the existing file.

Viewer 2 is a good raw converter but, compared to (The Gimp - which is free, or Photoshop if you are rich) a bit limited in use as a photo editor.

Not really answered your questions but have pushed your post back into view.

Nick

DaveC
22nd September 2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the pointers. I was mainly interested in knowing just where the programs fitted into the rainbow available. I actually use ACDSeePro but was curious if I am missing anything with the Olympus programs.Hopefully I'll get a bit more input.

tommy781
22nd September 2011, 04:12 PM
I use viewer 2 for convert the raw but lightroom for all the rest

Who's_E
22nd September 2011, 05:23 PM
Given the best RAW converter appears to be an Olympus camera, all I want from my RAW converter, which I am sure Olympus Viewer can do is: "Process my RAW like the E3/E5 does a JPEG and save it as a TIFF, then let me do some other stuff to it." That would be utopia.

In the meantime I will muddle through with Viewer and GIMP.

Nick