PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever use a ND8 filter...?

theMusicMan
30th April 2008, 11:08 AM
Hey All

Still killing time here!!! Just wondered if anyone has an ND8 grad filter that they have used...? Is this somewhat too much of a ND effect...? are there circumstances when this can be used effectively...? I have the ND2 and ND4, and am considering the ND8 to make it a trio!!

Thoughts...?

snaarman
30th April 2008, 11:12 AM
ND8 ?? Is that 3 stops difference one edge to the other???

Pete

theMusicMan
30th April 2008, 11:14 AM
Not sure actually to be honest snaarman, sorry! I liked the effects I achieved with the ND4 on the weekend, and wondered if anyone here had any images taken using the ND8grad.

Nick Temple-Fry
30th April 2008, 01:59 PM
Taken using ND2/4/8 stacked in a Cokin P series holder - but with the filters the wrong way round and only masking the side with the candle.

Only light source was the candle, very little pp, an example of how flexible the cokin style system is.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/505/candle_and_bible.JPG (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5012)

And yes - I've also used the nd8 grad for landscapes/seascapes (but I can't now remember what filter combination was used on which image)

Nick

Ian
30th April 2008, 02:12 PM
I think the ND4 (which I have) will be used the most, but I can see the time when I'd wish I had an ND8. The ND4 was only just adequate for the shots I took at Caerleon the other weekend.

ND4 reduces the brightness by two stops. So only 1/4 the light gets through (hence the 4).

ND8 reduces the light by half again, making it 1/8th of the original light (hence the 8) or 3 stops difference.

ND2 is one stop and so half (1/2) the light.

You can overlay the filters if you are careful and get cumulative effects, so ND2+ND4 = half of a quarter, or ND8, for example. It's the same as 1 stop plus 2 stops, making a total of 3 stops.

With luck you can use your grad filters as full filters unless you use a very wide angle lens.

Ian

knikki
30th April 2008, 02:46 PM
I use the Hytech Filters and one of those is a 0.9 ND grad which is a 3 stop one. You can use it lots when the sun is in the picture or even when you have a very bright sky.

If you not sure when to use it, then switch the camera to spot metering and meter the forground, then take a separate meter reading for the sky, if the difference is 3 stop or more then use the ND8, so to stop the sky from blowing out.

As a side note I have a 2 ND filters, one is a 6 stop the other a 10 stop, great for doing long exposure with the MF camera, might have ago and see what it does with the digi machine :D

theMusicMan
30th April 2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, very useful indeed. I guess I shall be purchasing the ND8 grad then...:)

I agree with Ian in that the ND4 I used on some images when in cornwall last weekend I only just managed to accomplish the effetcs I was after.

Thanks all.

David M
30th April 2008, 09:29 PM
My most used ND grad is a 2 stop (ND4) hard edged followed by a 3 stop (ND8) soft edged. I can't remember the last time I used a 1 stop (ND2).

But I should add that I do a lot of scenic photography where the horizon is level and flat so a hard edge works better in those circumstances. I should also add that I hardly use my ND grads these days, preferring to bracket and do an HDR.