PDA

View Full Version : Hugh from Kamakura

hughster
30th April 2008, 11:00 AM
Actually, originally from the UK, but I've lived in Japan for the past 20 years. I got myself an E-410 with the double kit lenses about a month ago, and I've been having a lot of fun with it - I hadn't touched an SLR for about 20 years, and I am so pleased to have graduated from the point and shoots (however good they may be). I'm having to work for my pictures, rather than have the camera take them for me, but the results are worth it, as far as I'm concerned.

My wife had an old Contax 35mm, and I found an adapter on eBay allowing me to attach her Zeiss Tessar lens to the 410 - it makes for a wonderful combination.

Anyway, a few pictures from yesterday (public holiday in Japan). Very little post-processing on any of them - mainly cropping.

http://j-views.homeip.net/Pictures/Odawara/index.html

Fluffy
30th April 2008, 11:29 AM
Welcome. I liked your photos. The one of ropes or wires on the shingle is particularly good. Nice composition.

My wife spent 6 months in Kamakura before we were married (so it was before your time). She was staying with an artist and studying kimono construction. She of course was a blonde Texan.

Cheers, Steve

Ian
30th April 2008, 02:33 PM
Welcome hughster san! :)

I will be making my fifth visit to Japan in June (work work work - probably little time for sight-seeing, unfortunately). Going to Osaka, but will also be visiting a couple of towns further east and north.

Japan is an amazing place to visit - I envy you living there!

Where is Kamakura more precisely?

Ian

hughster
30th April 2008, 02:44 PM
Kamakura is about an hour south of Tokyo (take the Yokosuka line through Yokohama). My wife's family is from here and I haven't lived in Kamakura all the time I've been in Japan, but it's 8 or 9 years now.

I am sure I will have lots of elementary questions to ask you all as I discover more about this camera, so please be patient with me.

Ian
30th April 2008, 02:54 PM
Kamakura is about an hour south of Tokyo (take the Yokosuka line through Yokohama). My wife's family is from here and I haven't lived in Kamakura all the time I've been in Japan, but it's 8 or 9 years now.

I am sure I will have lots of elementary questions to ask you all as I discover more about this camera, so please be patient with me.

Feel free :)

I'll be visiting Yamagata and Fukushima.

Are you far from the Suzuka race track? Went there about 8 years ago. It's not that far from Yokohama if I recall, because some of the teams had hotels there.

Ian

Ellie
30th April 2008, 10:27 PM
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/hello3.gif Good to meet you :)

hughster
30th April 2008, 10:31 PM
Suzuka - no, it's between 1.5 and 2 hours by bullet train, and then a trek into the countryside. If you went by car on GP weekends, it would take 6-8 hours (traffic jams, etc.). Teams might have hotels in Yokohama as being slightly cheaper and closer than Tokyo, but Nagoya would make more sense, especially since they've opened a new international airport there.

But now the Japanese Grand Prix has moved from Suzuka to Fuji racetrack (which is much closer to Tokyo).

Another photo I took the other week of a temple near our house (Meigetsuin).

Barr1e
30th April 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi Hugh -

Wlecome - have fun here and looking forward to seeing your pix.

Regards. Barr1e

hughster
30th April 2008, 11:05 PM
Another photo I took the other week of a temple near our house (Meigetsuin).

Ouch, forgot to post the link. If the way I've done this posting offends the etiquette of this list, please let me know and I will do it properly.

http://j-views.homeip.net/Pictures/Meigetsuin4.jpg

HughofBardfield
1st May 2008, 11:39 AM
Welcome Hugh

From another Hugh!