PDA

View Full Version : The Oly, Pany m4/3 merger

Kiwi Paul
13th September 2011, 08:32 PM
What a great idea that was and is!!
Although the 2 companies are competing for the same slice of the pie, by using completely compatible equipment ultimately they enhance each other and help the m4/3 system grow far beyond what either company could do on their own.
Some folk will prefer this or that camera from one of them and then buy a mix of lenses depending on what suits so it's win, win for both companies. They each have a different (although similar) approach so most folk can find something they like that gets them on board the m4/3 merry go round, then as new models come out folk buy them, maybe Oly one time, Pany the next. It's so good to have such a choice of compatible equipment to choose from and both with a slightly different idea of what the consumer wants and both good quality equipment too.

Long live the merger and long live m4/3, I can really see this developing into something far bigger than we ever thought it would, it really is the future.

Paul

Ian
14th September 2011, 10:16 AM
I think it's a terrible idea!

Thank goodness no evidence to support this nightmare has emerged.

Panasonic and Olympus are very complementary in terms of design and expertise. I think their respective strengths could be masked by a merger. I'm looking forward to more Micro Four Thirds brands joining the party and Fujifilm looks to me to be the next name to watch.

Ian

Kiwi Paul
14th September 2011, 10:20 AM
I didn't mean merger, I used the wrong term which is why I renamed the titled to collaboration.

Are Fuji Film thinking of joining using the m4/3 standard?

Paul

Ian
14th September 2011, 10:37 AM
Ah, OK Paul :)

The thing is that Olympus and Panasonic have been collaborating behind the scenes for at least 6 years anyway.

The first Panasonic Lumix DSLRs were full of Olympus components. The have jointly developed Micro Four Thirds (although Panasonic has been the lead developer).

I have read that Fujifilm is interested in joining the CSC party and as they are a named consortium member of Four Thirds, they already have links.

On the other hand, they are also closely linked to Nikon, having used Nikon bodies for their own-brand DSLRs in the past.

Ian