PDA

View Full Version : Lend hood for 50-200 SWD?

Tordan58
13th September 2011, 11:52 AM
Hi,

Not sure what is the right forum to post - here, accessories or elsewhere...

Can anyone provide a recommendation from where to source a lens hood for the 50-200 lens? (Options are very limited where I live, I suppose the UK has a much broader range of dealers).

Thanks,
Tord

Chevvyf1
13th September 2011, 11:58 AM
I would set up an eBay search - and look to see if there is one there now! *chr

Ian
13th September 2011, 12:00 PM
Of course, there are two types depending on whether you have a SWD version or not.

Ian

Tordan58
13th September 2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Ian,

I could of course have been explicit in the body text as well (and not only the title) that it is a lens hood for the SWD version I looking for.

BR
/Tord

DerekW
13th September 2011, 12:18 PM
Tord

Look up "Luton Camera Repair" on Google and email them to see if they have one in stock and postage costs to Sweden

Ian
13th September 2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Ian,

I could of course have been explicit in the body text as well (and not only the title) that it is a lens hood for the SWD version I looking for.

BR
/Tord

Ooops - sorry, I missed that. Then again, I suppose I might not have been the only one :)

Ian

gphemy
14th September 2011, 09:10 AM
Can't see LH-70C available at the usual places in UK, Tord, except for the Olympus UK online shop which wants GBP61.27 (excl. shipping).

Lots of European sites list it "not in stock", but fotozakupy.pl have them in stock for PLZ150 + 100 shipping to EU. PLZ250 is about 60.

http://fotozakupy.pl/oslona-obiektywu/olympus-lh-70c-zuiko-50-200swd,8386s

Fotozakupy seem to be unusually well stocked in lens hoods, at prices which are a bit lower than the usual European prices. But Adorama and B&H both list it for pennies less thun USD30.

Piers

Tordan58
15th September 2011, 07:24 AM
Hi,

As feedback to you -

Luton
Hood: 34.99 + vat (20%)
Shipping: 6.00 + vat (20%)

B&H:
They do have the item in stock at an attractive price $29.95. However shipping is expensive (>$50, which seems a bit steep to me) and then is the issue with tax and custom charges on top of this.

Sound like Luton is the way to go.

/Tord

gphemy
15th September 2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the update, Tord. Luton would always be my preferred supplier, I have known the team there for many years - I must encourage them to update their website!

Yes, the cost of shipping from B&H is awful. I only included their price for reason of irony - and I didn't tell you the price at the US Olympus webstore, which is USD39.95 - but they will not ship outside North America.

Piers

Olybirder
15th September 2011, 12:43 PM
That sounds a lot of money for a chunk of plastic, even if it does have a little sliding door in it. I think I will start to take a bit more care of mine. Did you lose the original or break it Tord?

Ron

Tordan58
15th September 2011, 01:39 PM
Hi

My lens was bought second hand. There was a cosmetic crack in the lens hood (that the seller informed me about) that has now degraded to the point where a small part near the thread is missing. It now takes not much force to un-twist the hood from the lens front.

I agree it is a lot of money for a piece of plastic. I will make a serious attempt to restore the hood using epoxy, careful application and avoiding to fill the thread. It that fails I might buy a new one.

/Tord

gphemy
15th September 2011, 02:16 PM
That sounds a lot of money for a chunk of plastic

I disagree - sort of - as by one measure it's a bargain.
Comparing Olympus UK online shop price for the hood against Warehouse Express price for the lens:
6% of the cost of a new lens for the LH-70C hood.
12% of the cost of a new lens for the LH-120 hood.
15% of the cost of a new lens for the LH-120B hood.

I daren't tell you how much those last two cost. Though for that sort of price you would think Olympus would get the description right - they think LH-120 is for the 90-250 zoom, as if!

Piers