PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Flash Query

Invicta
29th April 2008, 10:48 AM
I have been looking at the FL-50R Wireless Flash. I am not 100% sure how this can be used if you have say two FL-50Rs.

I believe you use the pop-up flash on the E-3 to communicate with the FL-50R. So if you had a two flash setup could you mount one flash on the hotshoe and use the pop-up flash to control the second or for multiple flash units do they always have to be mounted off camera? If the latter can you have one inline with the camera as it will not be insight of the pop-up flash for control.

Many thanks

Ian
29th April 2008, 02:18 PM
I have been looking at the FL-50R Wireless Flash. I am not 100% sure how this can be used if you have say two FL-50Rs.

I believe you use the pop-up flash on the E-3 to communicate with the FL-50R. So if you had a two flash setup could you mount one flash on the hotshoe and use the pop-up flash to control the second or for multiple flash units do they always have to be mounted off camera? If the latter can you have one inline with the camera as it will not be insight of the pop-up flash for control.

Many thanks

Anything mounted on the shoe will prevent the pop-up flash from operating on the E-3. I don't believe (but i will check) that the remote flash system can work without the pop-up flash, so I guess you would need to use a stand for the unit that you need to place close to the camera. If that places the flash behind the on-camera unit and out of direct line of site, I would hope that reflection off the subject would maintain the wireless communication, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

Good question though! Let me do some digging...

Ian

Jim
29th April 2008, 02:36 PM
I am not 100% sure if this is a possible work-a-round or not.

Could the 'External Flash Connector' be used for a 2nd flash mounted on a flash bracket. This would in principle allow the onboard flash to still pop up and control the FL-50R or FL36R.

If this worked the you could get a bracket that allows the flash to be mounted above the lens at all times.

The alternative is to simply mount a FL-50R or FL-36R on the backet described above and let the remote signal trigger both off camera and bracket mounted flashes.

Naughty Nigel
22nd May 2008, 11:35 AM
Please note that whilst the flash can be fired remotely, it must be used in manual or auto modes, as TTL metering will not work using the wireless link.

HTH

shenstone
22nd May 2008, 11:43 AM
Please note that whilst the flash can be fired remotely, it must be used in manual or auto modes, as TTL metering will not work using the wireless link.

HTH

Ah.

Thanks for that I think you've just saved me an "upgrade" which would have been more frustration than benefit

Regards
Andy

Graham_of_Rainham
20th January 2009, 02:33 PM

HTH

My new E-3 & two FL50Rs work well in TTL mode and even Super FP works.

The easy way to get any other flash to work is with a slave sensor (don't want to risk HV getting to the E-3)

Classic wisdom on flash says it should all be done in manual mode anyway and the E-3 makes this so easy with the remote communication.

*chr

Jonesgj
2nd February 2009, 06:07 PM
Not sure whether to add to this thread or post separately - Let me know!

I have just bought an FL36R (Just before the price went up!)

I have an E520, and now that I am sure I can't find it in the instruction booklets for both devices, it seems as though if I want to use the FL36R as a remote flash, I must use the pop-up flash on the E520 as the trigger.

Is this right? Has anyone experience in this matter?

I wanted to use the flash off-camera to experiment with. On-camera its fantastic, I'm getting (for me) some great shots.

Regards

Graydon