PDA

View Full Version : New patent 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adaptor

Daveart
12th September 2011, 02:05 PM
I have just read that Olympus as submitted a patent for a new 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adapter that will allow 4/3rds lenses on a micro 4/3rds camera that will greatly increase the speed of the lens to closely match the lens fitted to E system bodies, and a pro level micro body should be comming in the next couple of years, possibly with eye level electronic view finder built in.

Dave

StephenL
12th September 2011, 02:16 PM
Welcome news, but 2 years? They'll have missed the boat! Depending on your definition of "pro level", Panasonic are already there with the GH2.

Daveart
12th September 2011, 02:25 PM
Hi I think that they are waiting to get this 4/3rds to m4/3rds off the drawing board and into production before bringing out the pro body, which would make sense really, It might come sooner, as it takes time to get the patent accepted.

It is really looking good that existing pro lenses will get benifits from m4/rds bodies.

Dave

Nick Temple-Fry
12th September 2011, 03:26 PM
This seems to be the current front page of our old friends 43 Rumours.

It has reference to a translation from Japanese by someone who has read the patent
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2011-09-09

Anyone make hide or hair of it?

Though I do like the phrase "Let me be buried in the land of the lens"

Nick

snaarman
12th September 2011, 05:52 PM
Hmm. An active 4/3 to m4/3 adapter with large diameter optics that carry out the focus function rather than using the motor in the 4/3 lens???

Wouldn't it be great if it would still work with your legacy lenses. Now all your lenses have IS, and they are suddenly all AF too :)

Zuiko
12th September 2011, 07:05 PM
I'm sure they are exploring several ways of making FT lenses work (properly) on MFT. I'm not getting too excited, though, because even if it happens I suspect this adaptor will be very expensive, as will the "Pen Pro" if the price of the E-P3 is anything to go by.