PDA

View Full Version : Flash Guns

abacus180
9th September 2011, 12:07 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but are hot shoe flash guns on all makes of DSLR cameras interchangeable? eg Oly.Canon, Nikon. I know they would need to work in the "manual" flash setting

jamie allan
9th September 2011, 07:01 PM
This might be an answer to part of your question.
http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash2.html

abacus180
9th September 2011, 07:48 PM
I think a better way of explaining my question would be to ask whether Oly,Cano and Nikon bodies have the same hot shoe fitting?
Cheers
Graham

DekHog
9th September 2011, 09:12 PM
They're all the same apart from the Sony range - any flash should fire in manual mode on your Olympus, as all it requires is the centre pin to trigger it.....

Ross the fiddler
10th September 2011, 03:49 AM
If it's only the centre pin connecting, then manual operation would be possible (or Auto on the flash with the light sensor), but the other control (TTL) pins from the non-compatible flashes would need to be isolated (insulated) to avoid malfunction or damage of either the camera or flash.

DekHog
10th September 2011, 07:16 AM
If it's only the centre pin connecting, then manual operation would be possible (or Auto on the flash with the light sensor), but the other control (TTL) pins from the non-compatible flashes would need to be isolated (insulated) to avoid malfunction or damage of either the camera or flash.

:eek: Really? :eek: I must be extremely fortunate not to have ended up with a smoking pile of plastic.... :D

Ignorance is bliss..... :rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
10th September 2011, 09:00 AM
:eek: Really? :eek: I must be extremely fortunate not to have ended up with a smoking pile of plastic.... :D

Ignorance is bliss..... :rolleyes:

Better to be safe than sorry. ;) I'm having battles looking for the best way to wire in after market fog lights for my Honda CR-V 99, doing it the best way by utilising existing stuff as much as possible, so caution is being exercised here. It's just frustrating finding details specific to my model. :mad:

Putting cellotape over the extra pins on the flash (if freshly done without the wear) can get around any incorrect connections. It's probably pretty unlikely to create damage but still might cause a problem if connecting where it shouldn't.