PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I think I've killed my camera

g9ern
5th September 2011, 10:37 AM
I was just trying to update the firmware and I 'disconnected' the camera before the firmware was complete. I didn't realise it was still working and had this screen on the LCD (which I now found out was telling me NOT to disconnect).

Since the screen wouldn't go away I took the battery out.

Am I now totally screwed?

zuiko-holic
5th September 2011, 11:01 AM
Take out the batteries and put them back in 24h.

This should "reset" the camera to its factory defaults but I cannot guarantee it will work.

RogerMac
5th September 2011, 11:06 AM
I was just trying to update the firmware and I 'disconnected' the camera before the firmware was complete. I didn't realise it was still working and had this screen on the LCD (which I now found out was telling me NOT to disconnect).

Since the screen wouldn't go away I took the battery out.

Am I now totally screwed?

Same thing happened to me once when I lost the wiFi signal whilst updateing. I sent it back to Oly and they fixed it for free. It was still under guarantee and I do not know if they would charge for an out of warranty fix

Since then I always use a wired connection to my router whilst updating.

Roger

g9ern
5th September 2011, 11:37 AM
Take out the batteries and put them back in 24h.

This should "reset" the camera to its factory defaults but I cannot guarantee it will work.

Thanks, fingers crossed.

g9ern
5th September 2011, 11:40 AM
Same thing happened to me once when I lost the wiFi signal whilst updateing. I sent it back to Oly and they fixed it for free. It was still under guarantee and I do not know if they would charge for an out of warranty fix

Since then I always use a wired connection to my router whilst updating.

Roger

If there was a charge it wouldn't be economic for me to do it since the camera cost me so little in the first place.

Why can't they do the upgrade via a CF card like Nikon - so much easier.

Howi
5th September 2011, 02:46 PM
If there was a charge it wouldn't be economic for me to do it since the camera cost me so little in the first place.

Why can't they do the upgrade via a CF card like Nikon - so much easier.

THAT'S one question we have ALL asked....
Panasonic 4/3 and m43 can upgrade via SD card, Oly can be a bit of a Dinosaur sometimes......

g9ern
6th September 2011, 12:18 PM
Still dead, damn!

RogerMac
6th September 2011, 08:39 PM
Still dead, damn!
Email Oly and ask for a quote for the fix. Address is somewhere on their web site

Roger

g9ern
6th September 2011, 08:49 PM
I did that (sort of).

The reply I got started "Please be advised that technical queries are dealt with by our Olympus team in Prague. etc........."

I don't know if this means they have forwarded my query or if I have to write again.

josephlck
10th June 2012, 11:41 AM
Have you tried plugging it back to the comouter and running the firmware pdate again?

Ps. Just realised this was in september! Hope it's been fixed.

g9ern
10th June 2012, 12:09 PM
I sent the camera to Olympus but they wanted some unearthly amount of money to repair it so it has gone to the big camera shop in the sky.