PDA

View Full Version : Hello

tlove
27th April 2008, 05:47 PM
Hello all.

This is my first posting - I've just 'stumbled' over this site, although I have visited (but not signed up to :o) the Four Thirds User site. I'd just like to say 'thank goodness - finally, a site dedicated to Olympus kit :):)!'

I started off with an OM-1 back in 1980, then had an OM-2 for a number of years, before starting a family - that's when I lost the plot 'cause I then had a Minolta followed by a Nikon (my first excursion into digital).

Finally I saw sense and got a C5060WZ (still got it, just teaching my daughter to use it :)), while I went on to the E-400, then the E-510. Then I had to sell my E-510 to get the E-3. I've got a selection of Olympus lenses, flash, teleconverters etc. plus a Sigma 50-500mm - great for wildlife photography (even though it weighs a ton to my scrawny little arms:D!).

That's enough from me - maybe I'll get brave and post a few photos at some point. Nice to be here!!

Thea

Ian
27th April 2008, 06:04 PM
Hello all.

This is my first posting - I've just 'stumbled' over this site, although I have visited (but not signed up to :o) the Four Thirds User site. I'd just like to say 'thank goodness - finally, a site dedicated to Olympus kit :):)!'

I started off with an OM-1 back in 1980, then had an OM-2 for a number of years, before starting a family - that's when I lost the plot 'cause I then had a Minolta followed by a Nikon (my first excursion into digital).

Finally I saw sense and got a C5060WZ (still got it, just teaching my daughter to use it :)), while I went on to the E-400, then the E-510. Then I had to sell my E-510 to get the E-3. I've got a selection of Olympus lenses, flash, teleconverters etc. plus a Sigma 50-500mm - great for wildlife photography (even though it weighs a ton to my scrawny little arms:D!).

That's enough from me - maybe I'll get brave and post a few photos at some point. Nice to be here!!

Thea

Nice to have you here :) We try out best to be a happy bunch. Looks like you are well kitted out :D

Look forward to seeing some photos soon!

Ian

j.baker
27th April 2008, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the forum.

We can always need another Bigma user on here.

Watch out for the regional events that are organised, or even suggest your own.

Have fun.

Barr1e
27th April 2008, 08:18 PM
A big welcome from me also.

Enjoy your time here and I look forward to seeing some of your pix.

Regards. Barr1e

emirpprime
27th April 2008, 08:25 PM
Hi and welcome!
I hope you enjoy it here and look forward to seeing some shots :D
Phil

andym
27th April 2008, 08:27 PM
Welcome from another Bigma owner.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

theMusicMan
27th April 2008, 08:40 PM
Welcome from a soon to be Bigma owner... :) (I hope!)

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots. How do you like the E-3...?

Jim
28th April 2008, 08:13 AM
Welcome aboard :) Look forward to seeing some of your images.

tlove
28th April 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks all for the lovely welcome :):).

I'll be brave and start posting when I've figured out what the 'rules and regs' are regarding uploading images (you know, image, filesize and where they have to be loaded to etc.) for this site. Any help/advice out there please :confused::confused:

My E-3 is not bad thanks - I'm warming to it more and more, except I do have a couple of niggles:

1 - dust has found it's way up under the focusing screen (I've only had it since December :(), and as the screen isn't interchangeable there's not a lot I can do :(:(.

2 - the HLD-4 power grip which I got 'free'. None of the buttons/controls work on it, so it serves as a big battery pack for my 2 BLM-1s (great out and about but adds a lot of weight along with the Bigma :eek:). It's been back to Olympus once, who kept it for a month before returning it 'repaired' and the buttons still don't work :mad:. I'm not prepared to send the E-3 back to get it checked out to see if the problem is with that (it's the only camera I've got now and I can't be without it this time of year), nor can I afford to keep posting the grip back, and Olympus have stopped listening now so I think I have to live with it.

The backpack's nice though!!

Well - you did ask :D:D

Thea

emirpprime
28th April 2008, 06:25 PM
I'll chip in with a couple of bits ;)

Uploading images - click on Gallery at the top of any page, then (if you're logged in) on the line below Gallery etc, on the right hand side is Upload Photos :)

The reccommendation is to make the image 800 px long on its longest side so it displays well in the forum. It also needs to be under 512kB and either jpeg of png. If you try uploading a photo and it "completes" the upload but then doesn't show you the photo straight after it probably didn't satisfy one of the rules - it isn't too helpful about telling you when this happens!

Glad to hear you are liking the E3, but sorry about the troubles. I'm sure you ahve checked the obvious but they didn't send the grip back from repair with the Lock on did they? One of those little things easy to overlook in a rush. Perhaps if you make it to any of the days out, or to a dealer you can try another grip out to see if the problem is the grip or the camera. It might help hurry Oly into replacing it if necessary.
The dust sounds like a pain, have you tried using a blower around the edges of the eyepiece to clear it? Might work. Oly will clean it, but its back to sending it away :(

The backpack's great, I though that was the best gift too :D Except for the 50mm Macro I got with my E1, now that was an incentive!

All the best,
Phil

tlove
28th April 2008, 07:21 PM
I'll chip in with a couple of bits ;)

Uploading images - click on Gallery at the top of any page, then (if you're logged in) on the line below Gallery etc, on the right hand side is Upload Photos :)

The reccommendation is to make the image 800 px long on its longest side so it displays well in the forum. It also needs to be under 512kB and either jpeg of png. If you try uploading a photo and it "completes" the upload but then doesn't show you the photo straight after it probably didn't satisfy one of the rules - it isn't too helpful about telling you when this happens!

Glad to hear you are liking the E3, but sorry about the troubles. I'm sure you ahve checked the obvious but they didn't send the grip back from repair with the Lock on did they? One of those little things easy to overlook in a rush. Perhaps if you make it to any of the days out, or to a dealer you can try another grip out to see if the problem is the grip or the camera. It might help hurry Oly into replacing it if necessary.
The dust sounds like a pain, have you tried using a blower around the edges of the eyepiece to clear it? Might work. Oly will clean it, but its back to sending it away :(

The backpack's great, I though that was the best gift too :D Except for the 50mm Macro I got with my E1, now that was an incentive!

All the best,
Phil

Thanks for that Phil - don't get too excited about my photography tho - read my signature :D:D:D.

About the grip - lock on, lock off, it doesn't make any difference (I've tried both settings) still the buttons don't work on it :(:(!

Thea

Graham_of_Rainham
29th April 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi & Welcome,

Hang on to that 5060, I used one at work for years, it is brilliant. Also if you put an IR filter on it produces really credible results

Look forward to seeing some images

Have fun

Graham

blu-by-u
30th April 2008, 05:10 AM
Hi..welcome to this nice forum...From a newbie :D

I don't use the forum's gallery..(no reason to) I upload all my pictures to Flickr and I just link them everywhere. Reason I chose Flickr is that it already automatically resize them to 4 different sizes for me.

Since I am using a paid account there, there is no limitation to size and amount of uploads.

Cheers...do up load some pictures..be it fantastic, good and even bad ones. :p