PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from e-3

Alex G.
2nd September 2011, 05:21 PM
Is it really worth it to upgrade from an e-3 to an e-5?
I would like to hear your opinions
*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd September 2011, 06:10 PM
I did some extensive thinking about this and decided to upgrade my "Walkabout" C8080 to a mft system for about the same cost.

Bottom line the mft system gets a lot more use than an E-5 would...

*chr

Alex G.
2nd September 2011, 10:50 PM
I do have a Pen e-p1 as well which i dont use as much as my e-3, due to the lack of lenses that's y i was wondering if its worth selling my e-3 to get an e-5 *ohwell

Zuiko
2nd September 2011, 11:41 PM
If you can afford it I'd say yes, it is worthwhile. The newer sensor, processor and weaker AA filter all help to improve the IQ over the E-3 quite significantly. However, that does not automatically make the E-3 a bad camera, it still gives excellent results and will continue to do so. Unless you have unlimited funds you must have other choices to consider, maybe another lens, and only you can decide what to prioritize.

zuiko-holic
2nd September 2011, 11:51 PM
E-5 will give you some advantages over the E-3.

The most important are better hi-ISO performance (2-stop advantage in my opinion) and better resolution (weaker AA-filter and TruPic V+ seem to do the trick).

There are however some other minor advantages that should not be overlooked.
IMO these are SD card slot, a far better LCD and the ability to add copyright info.

If you have decided to keep 4/3 as your main system, I say go for it.

Bikie John
3rd September 2011, 07:47 AM
I am reallypleased with the E-5 - strikes me it is what the E-3 should really have been. I still like the E-3 and use happily it when I need 2 bodies (and have strong shoulders), but the E-5 is definitely better.

Whether it is worth it for you is a different question entirely - it all depends what you need. I think Zuiko and zuiko-holic have summed up its advantages pretty well.

Ciao ... John

Alex G.
3rd September 2011, 08:58 PM
Hmm thanks for your comments. I think I'll go for it if i manage to sell my E-3 at a good price!

paullus
5th September 2011, 05:44 AM
Personally I'm much much happier with my E-5 than I was with the E-3.
I think part of the reason for this was the fact that I swapped my E-620 for the E-3 and I would go as far as to say that this was a mistake. I know I'm at resk of getting flamed here but I think the E-620 produces better pictures than the E-3.

Steve

zuiko-holic
5th September 2011, 06:56 AM
I know I'm at resk of getting flamed here but I think the E-620 produces better pictures than the E-3.

No risk. It's definite! :p

Well, E-620 does offer "punchier" images but I generally prefer the better per-pixel clarity of E-3 (especially above ISO400).

eviscerator
7th September 2011, 08:38 AM
I had a few doubts too when I thought switching my E-3 for an E-5.

What I can say is that it's worth the upgrade. Every weakness of the previous version is fixed or greatly improved.

-Better ISO
-Much, much better image quality (it's like all your standard lenses become high grade and high grade become super high grade etc). That's almost unbelieveable.
-Better AF and better C-AF tracking, even if it's not equal to competitors.
-Greatly improved LCD display (much bigger and great resolution) and Live View features.

Also there are general tweaks in every part. There's no reason to have doubts, it's indeed a great camera and I'm very satisfied of the choice.

eviscerator
7th September 2011, 08:41 AM
No risk. It's definite! :p

Well, E-620 does offer "punchier" images but I generally prefer the better per-pixel clarity of E-3 (especially above ISO400).

What I dislike the most of the E-620/E-30 series is their "metallic look" noise. E-3 's file is much softer and imho, retains much better detail.

yorky
7th September 2011, 01:04 PM
I changed from the E3 to E5 and have no regrets at all, also bought the EP2 whic is a fine camera and easy to carry but its no match for the E5 the delay is its wak point after the instantaneous action with the E5