PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Lost in the menu system!

E-P1 fan
1st September 2011, 10:00 AM
I think I may have acidentally 'touched' something on my E-P1 and can't for the life of me work out how to get back to where it used to be. The E-P1 is wonderful but the menu system is like doing Spaghetti Junction for the first time.

When I look at a shot now there's a SHADOW|HIGHLIGHT icon at the bottom of the viewing screen and any deep shadow areas in the image blink dark blue.

I'm sure this is really useful - but I'd like to turn it off - prior to then discovering if I want to use the function or not.

Can you help? :confused: *please

andym
1st September 2011, 10:08 AM
Well I don't have a Micro 4/3 but if it's like all other later 4/3 cameras when you view a picture if you push the info button(don't know if Micro 4/3 has one)you can display shadows/highlights,histogram,shooting info etc.

Hope this helps.

Olybirder
1st September 2011, 10:27 AM
Yes, I think Andy is correct. There should be an 'Info' button below the 'OK' button. If you keep pressing this while previewing an image, it should cycle through the various display options.

Ron

E-P1 fan
1st September 2011, 12:09 PM
I'll try that. When faced with this manual my brain turns to mush.
Bear with! :)

E-P1 fan
1st September 2011, 01:06 PM
BINGO - thanks guys. The offending 'thing' has gone.
Must learn to see the wood for the trees with that manual.
GREAT camera though.

Hope this thread might help other E-P1 users too

Bikie John
1st September 2011, 01:28 PM
Now you know what caused it and how to get rid of it, it could be worth looking through the info displays. There is a lot of useful stuff in there (for the E-1/3/5 anyway, it sounds as though the EP-1 is very similar).

Ciao ... John

E-P1 fan
1st September 2011, 02:09 PM
I have John - endlessly - but I end up lost usually - and the manual is so small it doesn't help my eyes at all. Hey why don't some of you expert guys on here get togther and write an intelligible manual aide memoir - say a Pdf with simple bullet points - like a FAQ on the E-P1?? C'mon Olympus I'm sure you've some stuff lying around as an incentive for such good work! *chr

Olybirder
1st September 2011, 03:04 PM
the manual is so small it doesn't help my eyes at all.

Have you tried downloading the pdf version of the manual? You can zoom in to make it bigger as you view it on your monitor. It's available here:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_manuals.cfm?prodID=E-P1_master

Ron

E-P1 fan
1st September 2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks Ron - I did that when I first got the camera - I still get lost in it's 'style'. I think it was roundly criticised on launch too... great camera - lousy manual. I've never found a manual so confusing - I wonder if Cheney wrote it. Mind you technical authorship is a much under-rated talent and skill imho

I've found that this helps in most situations but not all - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Lantern-Guides-Olympus--P1/dp/1600596711/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314869822&sr=1-1