PDA

View Full Version : AA batteries

Paulpp
25th April 2008, 11:43 AM
I am still having problems using AA batteries in the HLD4 and e-mailed Olympus today. Their response is not to use alkaline batteries as they are not compatable with the E3. I was however using AA-R6 Memorex zinc batteries without success. Have e-mailed Olympus again and will see what they say. Has anyone had any luck with this and if so with which batteries?

OlyFlyer
25th April 2008, 11:49 AM
Are you sure you asked the right question? Or maybe you misundrstood the answer or they misunderstood your question? The HLD-4 supposed to work with Alkaline, but not with rechargable NiMh type. NiMh having 1.2V per battery and Alkaline 1.5V is I think the problem, what you need is 1.5V batteries.

Paulpp
25th April 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the quick response - the text of the Olympus e-mail is -

"Avoid using alkaline batteries, as they are not properly compatible with the E-3.
Thank you for your e-mail.
Kind regards,
Mikko"

so now I am even more confused! Have you got alkaline batteries to work?

Paulpp
25th April 2008, 11:54 AM
.... meant to add that the Memorex ones I tries were 1.5v, said to be heavy duty.

Paulpp
25th April 2008, 02:32 PM
This is the latest response from Olympus
"Dear Paul,

Try updating the camera's firmware. This you can do with Olympus Master 2 (if you have not yet installed it, download a free copy from http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_softwareMaster.asp).
As for the chemistry of the batteries, I must take back my recommendation against alkaline batteries. While not compatible with many cameras, they are compatible with the HLD-4 battery grip. Alkaline and lithium are the recommended chemistries as per the manual of the battery grip. I apologize for the confusion.
Kind regards,
Mikko"

Have rechecked and I have v1.1 firmware.
Just been out and bought 6 new AA alkaline batteries with the same problem. Camera switches on and immediately shows no battery power as soon as you try and focus. Shutter locked up. Camera switches itself off and then on again.

Has anyone had any success before I e-mail Olympus again?

Melaka
25th April 2008, 05:59 PM
I've been banging on about this problem on various threads ever since I got the HLD-4. There have been several posts complaining it doesn't work with AAs and I can't get it to work with the LBH-1 either. As the LBH is a direct replacement for the BLM you'd expect both camera and grip to work with it. Mine doesn't. When I spoke to Watford some weeks ago they said they didn't recommend using AAs. However the manual is quite clear that they should work. That's why my kit is with Olympus at the moment and has been for a month with no sign of a return date. I think Olympus have a problem and aren't prepared to admit it.

I should contact them again if I were you. If users don't complain politely and forcefully things will never get better.

Paulpp
25th April 2008, 09:26 PM
Have both e-mailed them agaiin and written to Watford - will post any reply received.
Would still be interested to hear if anyone has been successful.

Doug H
25th April 2008, 10:35 PM
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the part that goes into the camera and where the AA holder goes into the battery compartment? When I got my HLD-4 I was disappointed that neither my BLM-1's or my AA's had any real life but it was a different story when I cleaned the contacts - seems the electronics in the grip are very sensitive to the slightest thing/ the connections are perhaps not as good as they might be.

Paulpp
26th April 2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks - will try cleaning the contacts but have no problems with usual batteries - only AA's.

Paulpp
26th April 2008, 11:32 AM
Interesting in that I have cleaned the contacts and now the battery charge indicator shows full charge all the time, but on pressing the shutter the top screen and viewfinder goes blank, but then reverts to normal showing a full charge. Even more interesting if I change the mode from A (my normal mode) to any other mode it always reverts to A when the top screen/viewfinder comes back on.
Wierd or what

Doug H
26th April 2008, 03:02 PM
It may be my imagination but it seems that the E3 stores its current settings on closedown instead of at the time you set them. So when the camera crashes through no/insufficient battery, you are back to the state when you last closed down properly. Someone might put me right on this, but this seems to be the case - I find it difficult to remember to switch off when taking the grip off (to put camera on a tripod) and then find my settings nothing like where they were.
As a result, I tend to use the camera either with grip or without - but not make changes during the day. One day I'll get my head around My mode and Custom Resets, but at the moment I'd sooner shoot my way.

Paulpp
28th April 2008, 02:09 PM
Had another e-mail from Olympus as follows -
"Dear Paul,
I need further information. Are you using the batteries in an HLD-4 battery grip or the LBH-1 Li-ion battery holder? Alkaline batteries should work in the HLD-4, while they will definitely not work with the LBH-1. If your use of the batteries is conformant to specifications (i.e., alkaline in HLD-4 or CR 123A in LBH-1), you should have the camera serviced.
Kind regards,
Mikko"

I remain unconvinced given the problems many seem to have and am anxious that I would be without the camera for an extended period whilst Olympus service it.

I know that Ian is going to raise this issue with Olympus for a definitive answer and I will probably wait until that is available.

Have yet to hear than anyone has had success with AA's - unless you know better, in which case whether before or after any service would be useful info.

Ian
28th April 2008, 02:39 PM
Had another e-mail from Olympus as follows -
"Dear Paul,
I need further information. Are you using the batteries in an HLD-4 battery grip or the LBH-1 Li-ion battery holder? Alkaline batteries should work in the HLD-4, while they will definitely not work with the LBH-1. If your use of the batteries is conformant to specifications (i.e., alkaline in HLD-4 or CR 123A in LBH-1), you should have the camera serviced.
Kind regards,
Mikko"

I remain unconvinced given the problems many seem to have and am anxious that I would be without the camera for an extended period whilst Olympus service it.

I know that Ian is going to raise this issue with Olympus for a definitive answer and I will probably wait until that is available.

Have yet to hear than anyone has had success with AA's - unless you know better, in which case whether before or after any service would be useful info.

Melaka has had his camera sent for service to resolve this very issue, but he's been without the camera for longer than expected as a part is required from Japan. I hope he will be able to share us his experiences once his camera is returned to him.

Ian

Melaka
28th April 2008, 03:08 PM
I'm happy to share them now, or at least the latest episode! The repair tracking website still shows the expected repair date as last Wednesday.

Firstly the email Paulpp recieved shows how little the chap at Olympus knows about the subject. You can't fit AAs into an LBH-1, it only takes CR123s which are shorter and fatter.

As of this morning my E3 is still with Olympus - over four weeks since I posted it. They told me last Thursday the spares were due from Japan that day. They haven't arrived and after several emails I was eventually told this morning they were due for delivery today and that I might get the camera back next week. I think this is part of a 'tell the customer what he wants to hear' campaign rather than any serious attempt to be helpful.

I have found Watford to be useless and unhelpful. I posted my letter to Mr Handa - MD Europe - in Hamburg this afternoon and will be interested to see what he makes of my complaints.

DerekW
29th April 2008, 10:44 AM
It is unbelievable that Olympus do not have a stock of spare parts for the E-3 in Portugal so that repairs can be promptly carried out.

It is penny pinching/incompetence of an order that that only British Leyland in it's heyday could exceed

Melaka
29th April 2008, 04:37 PM
I've had an email from Olympus saying the spare arrived today and is being fitted. Apparently it will take 4-5 days to get to Watford from Portugal and then however long it takes from Watford to here. That means the middle of next week at the earliest by which time I will have been without it for six weeks. I'll let you know then whether the AAs work or not. Incidentally it's not clear from any of the correspondence I have had whether it is the grip or the camera that's at fault.

Henk
30th April 2008, 03:23 PM
Apparently it will take 4-5 days to get to Watford from Portugal ...

It travels by donkey?:rolleyes:

Melaka
30th April 2008, 03:56 PM
What makes you think a donkey is so slow?

emirpprime
30th April 2008, 04:28 PM
It is a long swim... especially for a donkey!

Melaka
2nd May 2008, 04:45 PM
Well, well, well! While I was out collecting the newspaper this morning (the Coop, never my favourite shop, has stopped delivering) a courier arrived with a parcel. It looked as if it could be a camera and I wasnít expecting anything else. Could it be that the donkey had grown wings and returned my camera in record time?

I opened the box in expectation and trepidation. No, it wasnít my E3 but there, hidden in a couple of layers of packaging, was a brand new E3. Surely there was some mistake. I checked the paperwork and my name was on it. It certainly improved the taste of my breakfast coffee, but where was the HLD-4?

A couple of calls to Olympus proved fruitless as the Man-Who-Knew wasnít available. I am still in the dark as the message that was left on the answer machine this afternoon whilst we were out was not clearly audible so Iíll have to wait until Tuesday when things start up again. Service is only available 10-4.

In the meantime I tried it with the LBH-1. It fired off half a dozen rapid shots quite happily, which was six more than the previous camera had managed. So far so good, but Iíll have to wait a while to find out what the situation is with the AAs. At a guess the original problem must have been in the camera rather than the grip.

Iím just wondering what caused this rapid change in service. Was it by any chance the letter I wrote to Mr Handa in Hamburg on Monday? Maybe next week Iíll find out.

Ian
2nd May 2008, 05:50 PM
Well, well, well! While I was out collecting the newspaper this morning (the Coop, never my favourite shop, has stopped delivering) a courier arrived with a parcel. It looked as if it could be a camera and I wasnít expecting anything else. Could it be that the donkey had grown wings and returned my camera in record time?

I opened the box in expectation and trepidation. No, it wasnít my E3 but there, hidden in a couple of layers of packaging, was a brand new E3. Surely there was some mistake. I checked the paperwork and my name was on it. It certainly improved the taste of my breakfast coffee, but where was the HLD-4?

A couple of calls to Olympus proved fruitless as the Man-Who-Knew wasnít available. I am still in the dark as the message that was left on the answer machine this afternoon whilst we were out was not clearly audible so Iíll have to wait until Tuesday when things start up again. Service is only available 10-4.

In the meantime I tried it with the LBH-1. It fired off half a dozen rapid shots quite happily, which was six more than the previous camera had managed. So far so good, but Iíll have to wait a while to find out what the situation is with the AAs. At a guess the original problem must have been in the camera rather than the grip.

Iím just wondering what caused this rapid change in service. Was it by any chance the letter I wrote to Mr Handa in Hamburg on Monday? Maybe next week Iíll find out.

Oh well, things are beginning to look better. Fingers crossed for next week...

Ian

emirpprime
2nd May 2008, 06:37 PM
Glad things are looking up! Certainly must have been a nice suprise.
Perhaps Oly custom service has turned a corner... ;)
Phil

Ellie
3rd May 2008, 12:18 PM
Wow, that's good news, and you've got a camera for the Bank Holiday weekend too :)

Melaka
3rd May 2008, 04:38 PM
Small heart attack this morning. There was an envelope from Olympus and I could see the word invoice. Fortunately the sum turned out to be £0.00. Phew!

Anyway it's nice to have an E3 again. I put the newly acquired 12-60mm on it and then switched to the 50-200mm plus newly acquired 1.4 for some animal shots. Very satisfying but the £s were heavy! The E510 I've been using in the interim is a fine machine but nowhere near as satisfying to use as the E3.

Interestingly the new body came with firmware 1.0. I'd have thought new machines would have had their firmware updated to 1.1 Of course I only discovered that after I'd put all the settings on so had to do them all over again.

Paulpp
10th May 2008, 09:27 PM
Just wondering whether you have managed to see if AA batteries now work?

Melaka
11th May 2008, 06:41 AM
Not yet. I received an email last Monday saying the grip was awaiting despatch. It still hasn't arrived. Although I've had the replacement E3 for over a week (I was without one for five weeks altogether) I've so far been without the grip for over six weeks.

You may rest assured there will be a test with AAs when I get the chance and also a few comments on the service provided by Olympus.

Naughty Nigel
12th May 2008, 08:43 PM
In my expereince, Olympus always returns E-System cameras in brand-new condition, regardless of the reason they were sent.

I dropped my E1 a month ago, and it came back looking brand new.

Melaka
16th May 2008, 06:49 PM
The HLD-4 finally arrived on Monday with a note saying nothing had been found wrong with it. I wasn't too surprised as I had expected the problem lay in the camera.

I was in France using the E3 so it wasn't until Wednesday that I was able to try the AAs. After the success with the LBH-1 reported above I was quite confident. However I got the same result as on all previous occasions - zilch. I then thought I'd try the LBH-1 again. It took one shot and died, so I am back to square one there too, as now it can't even manage one shot. Interestingly with the LBH-1 inserted I get a green battery indicator whereas with the AAs, which are new, I get red.

I spoke to a lady at Olympus with rather mixed results. She said I'd be better using rechargeables so I gave that a go and got a red indicator and not much else. I said that I thought the only solution would be for me to travel to Watford and pick up a completely new outfit that has been properly tested with AAs and the LBH-1. She's off talking to the techie folk and I'm promised a call back. From the general tenor of the conversation I got the distinct impression that my problem is far from unique. It seems that firmware 1.1 has sorted out some problems but not all.

We know from his posts that Paulpp has problems. Is there anyone else out there who can shed some light on the matter please? Surely Paul and I cannot be the only forum members who can't make the thing do what it says on the tin. How many others can't make it work and how many have been able to?

In all I was without a camera for five weeks and the grip for over six, to which must be added nearly three weeks when the kit went away the first time. I'll reserve comment on Olympus service until after the matter is resolved.

Paulpp
16th May 2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the update even if not encouraging. I will certainly not be sending mine to Olympus. Ian was going to take it up with Olympus Japan, not sure if he has been able to do so.

Paulpp
23rd May 2008, 09:16 AM
Just wondering whether you got any further with Watford and/or whether Ian managed to find anything out from Japan (China?)

Ian
23rd May 2008, 09:21 AM
Just wondering whether you got any further with Watford and/or whether Ian managed to find anything out from Japan (China?)

Unfortunately, the trip to China was postponed because of problems arranging visas for such a large group of journalists.

My main source of technical information at Olympus Europe has also changed, so I'm trying to make contact with the replacement person.

So, frustratingly, I haven't made much progress - but I'm still working on it!

Ian

Melaka
23rd May 2008, 12:42 PM
I have told the young lady (Lydia) with whom I have been conversing at Watford that I expect an E3 and HLD-4 combination that can be shown to be working with AAs when I take the current ones in to do a swap - Sale of Goods Act and all that. I live fairly close to Watford so going over to do the exchange in person is no great hardship and will ensure I can check that what I am given is really working. I supect there is a bigger problem with AAs than they're prepared to admit so I'm not expecting a phone call in the near future! It'll be ten days before I am in a position to chase them up again.

Paulpp
23rd May 2008, 12:51 PM
Good luck - somehow I think you might need it.

Naughty Nigel
23rd May 2008, 10:22 PM

I'm afraid not. E1-Fan has suggested that I send Ian another PM to remind him, so I will try that, but somehowI think I've missed the bus.:(

gphemy
24th May 2008, 06:15 PM
I've been banging on about this problem on various threads ever since I got the HLD-4. There have been several posts complaining it doesn't work with AAs and I can't get it to work with the LBH-1 either.

My E-3 also does not operate when I use 3xCR123 (new) in the LBH holder, just the same symptoms as paulpp described with the AA holder - however it operates perfectly happily with the AA holder with 6xAA lithiums installed. They are not even new lithiums, having come from the motor drive on my OM system. Not cheap, but they last for aeons compared to alkaline.

Piers

Melaka
24th May 2008, 08:46 PM
My E-3 also does not operate when I use 3xCR123 (new) in the LBH holder, just the same symptoms as paulpp described with the AA holder - however it operates perfectly happily with the AA holder with 6xAA lithiums installed. They are not even new lithiums, having come from the motor drive on my OM system. Not cheap, but they last for aeons compared to alkaline.

Piers

That's useful to know, thank you. I wonder if it works with AA alkalianes, such as Duracell.

Jim Ford
25th May 2008, 10:41 AM
. Not cheap, but they last for aeons compared to alkaline.

Is this a good price?

http://tinyurl.com/5kvlbx

(Also handy that you get 6)

Jim

Ian
25th May 2008, 10:47 AM
That's useful to know, thank you. I wonder if it works with AA alkalianes, such as Duracell.

My HLD-4 didn't work with Lithium AAs properly, though that was before the latest firmware update.

I felt there was a very slight improvement after the firmware update when using alkalines or NiMH rechargeables, but not to an acceptable level of performance.

I'll try Lithiums again at some point...

Ian

gphemy
25th May 2008, 05:34 PM
Is this a good price?

http://tinyurl.com/5kvlbx

(Also handy that you get 6)

Jim

That's where I have always bought mine, but less than £1 each *does* look to be a good price (and given the application, a six-pack is far better than a four-pack).

Piers

Ian
5th June 2008, 02:04 PM
I had a bit of a surprise today when having another go at AA Alkalines, see:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15208&postcount=4

Ian

Paulpp
5th June 2008, 02:36 PM
Interesting.. Upgrading the firmware made no difference to me although i was not using Duracell.
Will be interested in the other types.

Ian
5th June 2008, 05:05 PM
Interesting.. Upgrading the firmware made no difference to me although i was not using Duracell.
Will be interested in the other types.

I definitely noticed a difference between standard alkalines and heavy duty 'premium' alkalines like the Duracell Ultras. The former (even standard Duracells, for example, allowed the camera to switch on but literally after one shot the camera would shut down.

Ian

Invicta
5th June 2008, 05:05 PM
I am still having problems using AA batteries in the HLD4 and e-mailed Olympus today. Their response is not to use alkaline batteries as they are not compatable with the E3. I was however using AA-R6 Memorex zinc batteries without success. Have e-mailed Olympus again and will see what they say. Has anyone had any luck with this and if so with which batteries?

Not tried Alkaline battries but the HLD-4 manual states:

Supported Digital Cameras: E-3

Battery types: BLM-1 Lithium Ion, AA Alkaline, AA Lithium

So maybe worth sending a copy of the manual page to Oly support. Oly do seem reluctant to find a fix for this.

Melaka
5th June 2008, 06:05 PM
As mentioned in my last post a week or so back I have asked for a camera and grip that can be shown to be working when I collect them from Watford. This is to replace my grip (the original one) and camera (the one Olympus supplied out of the blue to replace the one that had been away for repair for some five weeks). I checked on progress yesterday and apparently a camera and grip are on order from Germany but have yet to arrive.

I think it would be helpful to the E3 community overall if anyone else who has problems gets in touch with Watford. As far as I know I am the only person actively pursuing the matter. Moans on a web forum can be ignored but actual complaints are more difficult to overlook. There's obviously a big issue but not enough pressure yet on Olympus to resolve it.

Paulpp
6th June 2008, 06:44 AM
I made contact with Watford via e-mail a number of times but the only response I got was that alkaline batteries should work and if they don't (which is the case) I should send the camera in for servicing. Was waiting to see what other's experience was before resigning myself to losing the camera for xx weeks.

Ian
6th June 2008, 08:07 AM
I've now tried the Sony Stamina Platinum heavy duty alkalines and I get about the same kind of performance as the Duracell Ultra M3s. In other words, you take a few pictures - say 5-10 - and then the low battery warning comes on. But despite that, I am able to keep shooting, including using live view and continuous high speed shooting. Yesterday I got 50 shots out of a part used set of Duracell Ultra M3s and I only stopped because of lack of time.

Olympus Europe say that depending on the battery, 30-100 shots can be expected from a set of alkaline AAs, and this actually seems reasonable.

I'm still waiting for the special Panasonic batteries, but I'm now going to try a set of 'ordinary' alkalines (standard Duracells or own-bran alkalines).

So far the main points seem to be that the warning light comes on prematurely, but that it doesn't necessarily mean you can't take pictures any more. That's my experience of course and I know that some have had a much less useful experience, which does point to a particular hardware fault specific to them.

Ian

angelpaaul
6th June 2008, 11:27 AM
I picked up my E3 on Tuesday after being repaired by Olympus, faulty shutter button. Out of curiosity I tried my E-3's AA battery holder to see if there was any difference.

I used a (fresh) set of bog standard Energizer alkaline AA batteries. Nothing fancy, just the cheapos. I managed to rattle off 30-40 shots before the low battery warning came on but it didn't stop or lock-up. Time didn't permit me to run it until it stopped but I imagine I may have been able to double that figure.

Before my E3 went in for repair it would only manage about 10-20 shots then give up and that was with the same type of battery. Well, it beat me as to why it now works but it does. The cameras firmware is v1.1 if that means anything.

Regards - Paul

Ian
6th June 2008, 04:26 PM
I picked up my E3 on Tuesday after being repaired by Olympus, faulty shutter button. Out of curiosity I tried my E-3's AA battery holder to see if there was any difference.

I used a (fresh) set of bog standard Energizer alkaline AA batteries. Nothing fancy, just the cheapos. I managed to rattle off 30-40 shots before the low battery warning came on but it didn't stop or lock-up. Time didn't permit me to run it until it stopped but I imagine I may have been able to double that figure.

Before my E3 went in for repair it would only manage about 10-20 shots then give up and that was with the same type of battery. Well, it beat me as to why it now works but it does. The cameras firmware is v1.1 if that means anything.

Regards - Paul

Hi Paul - did you upgrade the firmware, out of interest? 1.1 is the latest. Most E-3s have shipped with 1.0.

Ian

angelpaaul
6th June 2008, 05:45 PM
Hi Ian - no, I didn't upgrade the firmware, it came back with it on already. That's one on the reasons I tried the battery holder, to see if the upgrade had cured the 'fault'. If I get time at the weekend, I'll try the camera out using the battery holder and fresh batteries. I'll use it as I would normally to see what happens. No point in firing away until it dies as you don't use it that way in reality do you?

Regards - Paul

angelpaaul
8th June 2008, 03:25 PM
I managed to find time to try the E3 battery holder today. Loaded with fresh Energizer alkaline AA batteries I set out for my local botanical gardens.

The camera was set to single shot with the preview set to 5 seconds and I didn't use live view. After about 5-6 shots the low power light came on but I ignored it. I took 22 shots then I stopped for a quick break, about five minutes. When the camera was turned on again the low power light was off but came back on again after 3-4 shots. I managed another 48 shots before the camera locked up completely. Turning the camera off then back on again didn't really make much difference at this point so I went back to the standard BLM-1.

So, I managed to get 70 shots out of a fresh set of Energizer alkaline batteries, is this good or bad? Personally, I don't think I'll be using the pack, not even for an emergency. I think I'll just pack some extra, freshly charged, BLM-1s.

Regards - Paul

Paulpp
21st June 2008, 08:18 AM
Thought people might be interested in the following reply from Olympus Customer Services - not tried it as yet, but it seems they have been looking into the issue.

"We have tried an E-3 here today with the HLD-4, using Duracell Power Pix AA batteries 1.5V Nickel Oxy Hydroxide, and have currently taken around 70 shots... this was using the flash, LCD screen, etc randomly whilst shooting.

It might be worth giving these a try.

You can purchase from RS Components - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0155456#header - hopefully the link will work.

Kind regards
Lydia"

It looks as if the link is not fully reproducing in this post.

Ian
21st June 2008, 09:13 AM
Thought people might be interested in the following reply from Olympus Customer Services - not tried it as yet, but it seems they have been looking into the issue.

"We have tried an E-3 here today with the HLD-4, using Duracell Power Pix AA batteries 1.5V Nickel Oxy Hydroxide, and have currently taken around 70 shots... this was using the flash, LCD screen, etc randomly whilst shooting.

You can purchase from RS Components - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0155456#header - hopefully the link will work.

Kind regards
Lydia"

It looks as if the link is not fully reproducing in this post.

The forum shortens the visual representation of long urls, but they should still work normally.

I've bought a set of eneloop rechargeable AAs and have received some Panasonic OxyRide AAs and will give these a try shortly.

Ian

Melaka
4th July 2008, 07:00 PM

Kind regards
Lydia"

I spoke to Lydia this morning as I think the camera in question is the one I have asked for to replace my current E3/HLD4. The plan is that once they have a fully functioning outfit I'll drive over and swap it for my kit. However I told Lydia that I won't accept one that only works with Nickel Oxy Hydroxide as the specification says it should work with AA alkaline and AA lithium. This must be a tricky issue for Olympus as some people have been successful with AAs and others haven't. I'm awaiting further developments.

Ian
4th July 2008, 08:47 PM
I spoke to Lydia this morning as I think the camera in question is the one I have asked for to replace my current E3/HLD4. The plan is that once they have a fully functioning outfit I'll drive over and swap it for my kit. However I told Lydia that I won't accept one that only works with Nickel Oxy Hydroxide as the specification says it should work with AA alkaline and AA lithium. This must be a tricky issue for Olympus as some people have been successful with AAs and others haven't. I'm awaiting further developments.

I have been getting up to 50 shots or so with premiumj heavy duty alkalines (Sony Stamina Platinum and Duracell Ultra M3, for example), but the oxyride type batteries last about twice as long. Not yet re-tested lithiums, but will soon.

Ian

Joop
5th July 2008, 11:02 PM
I have been getting up to 50 shots or so with premiumj heavy duty alkalines (Sony Stamina Platinum and Duracell Ultra M3, for example), but the oxyride type batteries last about twice as long. Not yet re-tested lithiums, but will soon.

Ian
There is a big difference in using it uninterrupted or with some pauses between sets of shots. Alkalines will recharge to some extend it they are used with pauses between sets of shots, ie camera power off. This might double the number of shots.

Melaka
8th August 2008, 05:50 PM
Success at last! Olympus sent me an HLD-4 which they said worked with Duracell M3s. I tried the same batteries in my own HLD and they worked there too, running off 20 shots before I stopped. I've returned the second HLD to Olympus. I looked up the M3s on a Duracell website and they are designed to be used with cameras etc whereas the more common Plus are not. It would have saved a lot of hassle and numerous posts on this and other forums if the instructions made clear that 'super' rather than ordinary alkalines are needed. It was also disappointing that it took six months before Olympus came up with a solution that fits what it says on the tin.

Invicta
9th August 2008, 06:33 PM
Just done a test today with my new Ni-MH rechargables. The low battery warning came on but I was able to fire off 65 shots before I decided to stop. Placing the batteries back in the charger showed them at 75% charged so I am very happy with this as a fall back position. I was planning to use the batteries just for the flash gun but I think I will be adding another set for emergencies.