PDA

View Full Version : Running an E-5 off the mains

Bikie John
29th August 2011, 10:14 AM
Has anyone tried running an E-5 off the mains? I want to run a slideshow through a TV (of a pub cricket match on the pub telly after the game - should be worth a pint or 2 *chr ). I've sorted out the video connection and doing the slideshow but I don't know how long the camera's batteries will last.

The E-5 seems to have a socket the same as the DC input on the E-3, and the E-3 manual says you can use the AC-1 mains adapter. But the E-5 manual makes no mention of it at all, although in the section on slideshows it says "if the cameras is running on batteries it will stop after 30 minutes" which rather suggests that there might be an alternative.

Thanks in anticipation ... John

WPJ
29th August 2011, 03:17 PM
Hi John,

Yes the E5 works with the AC-1 mains adapter; can't see why you would not be able to run your show off it.

I use the AC-1 mains adapter. for software updates and uploading images.

Regards

Paul

Bikie John
29th August 2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks Paul, I'll see if I can get hold of an AC-1.

Cheers ... John

peak4
29th August 2011, 07:00 PM
Make sure you're sitting down when you look at the price:eek:

Bikie John
29th August 2011, 09:24 PM
Make sure you're sitting down when you look at the price:eek:

I wondered about that. Got any idea what it's likely to be? I haven't found one in the usual places (Whorehouse Express etc.), was going to ask the nice chaps in LCE tomorrow.

Ciao ... John

peak4
29th August 2011, 09:36 PM
Occasionaly they pop up on ebay and go for 50-85
New http://www.harpersphoto.co.uk/product/olympus_ac-1_ac_adapter/
Ouch

Wreckdiver
29th August 2011, 10:25 PM
I wondered about that. Got any idea what it's likely to be? I haven't found one in the usual places (Whorehouse Express etc.), was going to ask the nice chaps in LCE tomorrow.

Ciao ... John

Are you ready for this? Olympus AC-1 (https://secure.parkcameras.com/14250/Olympus-PS-AC1-Power-Adapter-for-E-1-E-3.html)

Steve

Zuiko
30th August 2011, 01:55 AM
That seems a rather expensive solution. 30 minutes is actually rather a long time for a slide show. If you need to go on longer, why not have an interval for 15 minutes so the lads can get another couple of rounds in? That will give you time to change the battery and let the camera cool down.

Bikie John
30th August 2011, 08:56 AM
Eek :eek: That price is pretty hardcore, isn't it. Thanks Bill and Steve.

Zuiko's suggestion of spare batteries sounds better value for money, and will be more versatile. Ideally I would like to just to leave the slideshow running for an hour or two as people drift in and out after the game. But a break every half hour or so doesn't sound like too much of a hardship.

Thanks for the input, problem solved now I think. I might still ask the LCE chaps, just to see the look on their faces when they see the price :D

Cheers ... John

Ulfric M Douglas
30th August 2011, 09:44 AM
130-170 for something that should be bundled in with the batter charger - for free!
Dang.
My camcorder uses a cradle thingy for both purposes.

Graham_of_Rainham
30th August 2011, 11:22 AM
Can you do a DIY with the HDL-5 and that AA Battery holder and a 9v power supply. The +ve and -ve on the AA holder are identifiable from the AA battery orientation marks, so a simple bit of wiring should work quite easily.

Wreckdiver
30th August 2011, 11:28 AM
If you wanted to extend the run-time of a single battery you could always use an HLD-4 with 2 batteries.

Steve

Zuiko
30th August 2011, 01:41 PM
Just a thought, John. The pub TV isn't one of these new-fangled things with a card slot is it? I believe some TVs now have the facility of plugging an SD card in directly.

Bikie John
30th August 2011, 06:14 PM
Just a thought, John. The pub TV isn't one of these new-fangled things with a card slot is it? I believe some TVs now have the facility of plugging an SD card in directly.

Nice idea but no such luck - that was my first thought. I wondered about running the slideshow on a laptop and plugging it through but that turned out to be remarkably challenging. Then I remembered the video cable that comes with the camera and always gets left in the box.

Ciao ... John

Bikie John
31st August 2011, 08:05 AM
If you wanted to extend the run-time of a single battery you could always use an HLD-4 with 2 batteries.

Steve

Thanks for the comment Steve, I would be running it with the battery grip with 2 BLM-5s in. They wouldn't be fully charged though as they would have just shot a cricket match (100+shots) - and a couple of spare BLM-5s would also knock a hole in the bank balance.

I'm not sure because I haven't stress-tested it but I suspect the shutdown after half an hour is a decision made by the camera rather than the batteries dying. As Zuiko John hinted in an earlier post, the batteries and/or camera might get a bit warm after continuous running so it might be a good idea to let them cool down a bit anyway.

Thanks all for your suggestions ... John

Bikie John
8th September 2011, 09:22 AM
We had the match last Sunday (it didn't rain, but it did get pretty gloomy) and I ran the slideshow afterwards off the camera batteries. After about 20 minutes everyone had seen it so battery life was not an issue. Checking the charge level afterwards on my Hahnel Twin V Pro charger it showed 100%, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

A couple of further points for info:

1. The friendly chaps at LCE checked up on the Oly price for the AC-1 mains adapter. They choked on their coffee when Oly said GBP225. Oly have them in stock - I'm not surprised, I would be more surprised if they had ever sold one at that price!

2. Hahnel are now selling BLM-5 equivalents (hope mentioning this isn't against the forum rules). Needless to say the price is a lot more comfortable than Oly's own - and I strongly suspect that they are the same batteries anyway with different labels stamped on :)

Ciao ... John