PDA

View Full Version : After sales service second to none

Melaka
24th April 2008, 05:02 PM
The title is taken from the professed aim on the Olympus repair tracking site.

My E3 and HLD-4 had to go back to Olympus for the second time because the AA batteries were not working in the HLD-4, as discussed on another thread. Although supposedly repaired on the first occasion the AAs still didn't work when I got the camera and HLD-4 back.

The camera and grip were posted on 27th March and are recorded as having reached Olympus on 2nd April. Actually I think they arrived before that because when I phoned on 1st April to enquire why there was nothing on the web site I was told there was a delay in logging things for servicing.

I opted for email notification of progress and received an email on 11th April saying the gear was "still: in workshop". (I now think that by 'still' they meant it was lying there doing nothing).

I heard nothing further until I checked on 24th April when the web site still said the estimated repair date was 23rd April. I phoned Watford. They told me the camera needed spares which were due in from Tokyo that very day. When I enquired as to why I hadn't had an update I was told they didn't send emails about repairs. This, I said, I found surpising as the email on 11th April had come from Watford. I wasn't believed even when I read it out to the lass on the phone.

After a rather fruitless conversation I asked to speak to the manager. I explained that I didn't think the service I was receiving met the professed aim but my protest was ignored. I was told that an email notification is only sent if there is a significant change in status. Missing an estimated repair date is apparently not regarded as significant. Seemingly they put three weeks as the estimated repair time irrespective of the circumstances. It appears I won't get another email until such time as the camera is repaired, probably next week. I was assured that as a professional model the camera would get priority in the repair process.

I've only had the camera for about five months. It spent three weeks or so being "repaired" in February/March and has now been away for a further month, likely to become five weeks. That amounts to 40% downtime (50% if you take account of the fact I didn't get the HLD-4 until well into December) which I regard as wholly unacceptable, especially for a camera that is supposedly aimed at professionals.

Ian - are you able to draw this sad state of affairs to someody who matters in Olympus please? Alternatively do you have the email address or phone number of NONE as that is where the camera will have to go next time? Even Olympus admits they provide a better service.

j.baker
24th April 2008, 05:24 PM
It is unfortunate that you have had bad service/experiance. However I am a paid member of the pro club and I have sent my camera in for repair, and one of the the pro membership perks is load equipment (if available). You need to be a member prior to sending it in. You also need to justifty why you need the equipment (I did in my case).

Olympus UK are sending me a loan camera (it may be differnet that what I send it due to stock levels). I will update this thread when it arrives.

My current repair will be my second Oly DSLR to be sent in for service/repair. So far so good.

I find the any customer service/support that I get from any company depends on who you are talking to and how you are talking to them. They only have a job to do, and I find that getting angry with them never helps. Yes, I can get forcefull, but I always make sure that my communication is polite.

Melaka
24th April 2008, 05:31 PM
Fortunately I also have an E510 so am not entirely without a camera. Indeed I had to use it for some photos to illustrate an article when the E3 was first away.

You're right about the staff 'only having a job to do', but that job is to provide an efficient service. Amongst other things that means getting repairs right first time, providing meaningful estimates of repair time and keeping the owner informed if things change.

DerekW
24th April 2008, 06:03 PM
Melaka

Welcome to the club - I cannot understand why it takes so long to log a returnd item into the database and also why they do not have a full stock of spares in Europe

See post 23 in this thread

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=879&page=2

250swb
25th April 2008, 08:57 PM
Scratches head, wonders, all this trouble when a pair of BLM-1s (Uniross upgrade equivalents at about £12 each) would have worked in the HLD-4 in the first place?

Melaka
26th April 2008, 05:55 AM
Because equipment should do what it says on the tin!

blu-by-u
26th April 2008, 07:26 AM
I don't own an E-3 but having heard countless complains on the grip, Have Oly release a firmware upgrade for the Grip yet? OF is the camera still reporting a low battery when only 1 BLM-1 is being used after about 100 shots?

250swb
26th April 2008, 07:31 AM
But this problem with trying to use AA's in the grip was known from day one of the E3 being released, so it has to be just a little masochistic swimming against the tide? The length of time taken to find a cure may just be Olympus trying to work out how to tell you diplomatically that it can't be done.

As for doing what it says on the tin, the Oly UK website only says that the HLD-4 will accept two BLM-1's, and while my HLD-4 came with a pamphlet suggesting it could be used with AA's, I also accept that manufacturers also use nowadays the 'product specification may change without notice' clause in many cases.

Steve

blu-by-u
26th April 2008, 02:50 PM
I think Oly is stumped by the tiny protection circuit built into the grip. They should have just do away with that board and all this problem with AA and single BLM-1 would be gone.

Olyflyer...you are good with that soldering iron of yours...why not try jumping that circuit board?