PDA

View Full Version : Hiring an e5?

Janet
23rd August 2011, 06:58 PM
Maybe a daft question, but I'm thinking of hiring an e5 for a forthcoming event...

Minimum hire of three days, but I'm a total technophobe...how much different is this from my e520 and would I be able to get to grips with all the controls and settings in such a short time to actually be able to produce any decent pics?

I can see me spending three days simply trying to get to grips with the controls!

I have an event coming up where there will be some low light evening photography involved and much as I love my camera, I just know that my e520 and kit lenses simply aren't up to the job.

Janet

Zuiko
23rd August 2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Janet, there is quite a difference in handling and function, I have to think what I'm doing when I go back to my E-510 (now my wife's) from my E-3. Do you live close enough to anyone with an E-3 that you could have a play with? The E-3 and E-5 are very similar to operate.

Are you planning to hire an E-5 and fast lenses? If not, it might be better to stick to the camera you know and hire the fast glass instead, providing you can handle the extra weight. If you are hiring both an E-5 and fast lenses still take your trusty E-520 along, as back-up should you have difficulties with the E-5.

Having said that, it is mainly button placement and having an extra dial, at least the menus are pretty much the same. You shouldn't need to learn the whole camera, just the bits you need for your job. If the evening part of the job involves the same type of conditions and subjects you can set the camera up specifically for that in advance and you shouldn't need to change much during the shoot. Just practice the bits that you might need to change. If the event runs earlier in the day as well, in better light, you can confidently use your E-520 for that.

With a little forward planning I'm sure you'll be fine, you certainly have the photography skills. :)

Ross the fiddler
23rd August 2011, 11:35 PM
I also recommend downloading the E5 manual (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/dslr.cfm#body) to take in as much as you can before you get to hold the camera to compare it with the E520. That's just something I like to do & then start wishing for the later model. At least I become aware of the abilities of the later models in so doing.

David Morison
24th August 2011, 06:12 PM
I got my E5 last December after having used an E30 for a good while. I found it took quite a long time to be able to comfortably use all that the E5 has to offer. I suppose it all depends what you want to do but I do agree with Ross that a bit of cribbing on the E5 manual beforehand is almost essential.

David

Homer Simpson
25th August 2011, 06:42 PM
I think you would be better off experimenting with the 520 is similar lighting conditions.

I'm constantly amazed how bright photos taken with the kit lens come out when I think the available light is too poor.

If you shoot RAW I'd have thought you could gain a stop or two post process - not that I know what I'm talking about, you understand.

In your shoes, I'd be playing around with the OM 50mm F1.8 ( 3 stops faster than the small kit lens - I think *shrug ) legacy I bought a few months ago for 10 quid - but have not yet put on the camera:rolleyes:

Felltop
25th August 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi Janet

I have recently made the move from E520 to E5. I agree with the earlier comments about the additional features in the E5, but I was able to get better pictures (probably mainly due to the better lens on the E5) quite easily- within hours of playing with the E5. I would not be too worried.

Best of luck either way!

Felltop

stryker
26th August 2011, 12:33 PM
JANET, if this event is an important event, such as a wedding etc it is much better to go and photograph the event with a camera you are totally used to and familiar with. There is so much going on and so many things to think about you don't need having to sort out an unfamiliar camera.
I have photographed several weddings with my E510 with no problems whatsoever because the camera is second nature to me. I can change any setting without thinking.
What I would say is definitely have a second camera with you. It is often useful to have a zoom compact in your pocket for those candid pictures.
i am photographing a wedding in september and I will have my main camera E510, Sigma SD15 or Lumix G1 depending on the lighting and my trusty LX3 in my pocket. All those cameras are second nature now and I will be shooting RAW probably on F8 or F11 Aperature priority depending on the light.