PDA

View Full Version : Lens opinions appreciated

E-P1 fan
23rd August 2011, 10:54 AM
I own the 14-42mm standard kit lens and it is very serviceable as a general purpose lens.

I used to have the 14-54 FT lens and liked it a lot but it went with my E1.

In your opinion - is the 14-54mm a significant improvement on the 14-42mm - enough at least to justify the cost of the lens?

If not, have you any suggestions regarding other lenses?

I currently have E-P1: 14-42mm MFT: 35mm macro FT : 40-150mm (mk11) FT: MMF1 adapter

Thanks

snaarman
23rd August 2011, 11:09 AM
I own the 14-42mm standard kit lens and it is very serviceable as a general purpose lens.

In your opinion - is the 14-54mm a significant improvement on the 14-42mm - enough at least to justify the cost of the lens?

I currently have E-P1: 14-42mm MFT: 35mm macro FT : 40-150mm (mk11) FT: MMF1 adapter

Thanks

It depends how close you look at the screen, and how big you print.

I'm keeping my 14-42 because it's light, and for a kit lens it's really rather good. I don't use it much though, the 14-54 feels much nicer and TBH it is that bit sharper when you go pixel peeping.

The 40-150 kit lens has grown on me this summer, and I suspect I will sell my 70-300 soon as a result. I think that 300 is too long for my general needs. So another kit lens winner there.

You have the 35mm which is supposed to be mega sharp - I have the 50mm macro which never fails to astonish. Amazing lens.

The only lens I would suggest might be the 9-18. All I hear about it is good news. One day I will have to get one I suspect.

Pete

StephenL
23rd August 2011, 11:38 AM
The Mk2 14-54 lens is a very capable lens, and focusses quite well on m4/3. However, you'd expect to pay at least 320 for a good used example (such as mine which is for sale!) and on top of that you'd need your adaptor. Where this lens really shines, in my opinion, is the wider maximum aperture.

Many people rate the old Panasonic 14-45 lens. However, it is saddled with the same aperture range as the Oly 14-42.

At present there isn't the holy grail of a m4/3 version of the 12-60 lens, but if there was it would cost at least 1000 in my opinion.

At the end of the day I consider corner sharpness, which is where these other lenses really shine, to be of less importance than other people say. When I take a photo, with very few exceptions, I make sure the topic is "classicly" composed, ie, not right at the edge. I've never yet sold a shot where someone has said "that photo's great, but it's a bit soft in the corners". That tends to only happen when you shoot test charts. I don't find there's a lot of demand for test charts these days.

An exception is when I'm shooting a work of art for inclusion in a book. Then, I purposely don't fill the shot with the painting but crop out of the centre, avoiding any edge problems.

My favourite lens on m4/3 is the 7-14mm, but it's a tad costly.

zuiko-holic
23rd August 2011, 11:44 AM

Thanks

Zuiko 14-54 (esp. Mk II) is a far more better lens than 14-42 but also bulkier and I don't think it's a good idea for the E-P1 (I've tried the combination for academic purposes and it's really not that convenient).

14-54 is a woderful match for 4/3 bodies because its sharper, better corrected, faster, brighter, weather-proofed and offers good balance on most 4/3 bodies BUT, in m4/3 what matters most is size, weiht and convenience.

If you need a better lens, then go for a Zuiko 14-42 II which is even smaller and provides significantly faster AF.

Chris Pattison
7th September 2011, 02:08 PM
The 14-42m mark II is a step up in performance. It's lighter, smaller, near silent, and much quicker to focus. I find it a shade sharper too, but that might be just me!

Chevvyf1
7th September 2011, 03:06 PM
IMOHO the Zuiko 14-54 is the BEST and with the 50-200 Zuiko gives all most people could generally want! I am never less than ASTOUNDED by shots I have "grabbed" with either of these lenses.

However, they are weighty in Lb's/Kg and /$ :eek: But no one said excellence can ever be cheap :D

spn0923
24th September 2011, 02:54 PM
im going through the similar thing (e600 1442mk2). Worried 14-54 was too big but risked it when i found a 14 54 mk1 laughably cheap (i wont say you'll cry). Upshot is yes it is much bigger and heavier but does sit nicely on the 600 and the pictures are so much sharper even my wife notices. I love it so much I am thinking of going for a mk2 if i can pull a flanker again like i did with the mk1! I 'd be tempted to get the cheaper mk1 since i guess size is important if you have a Pen and you may decide its just too big for everyday use. Go for the mk2 if you really must use facedetect in live view because the mk1 doesnt support that (although obviously it does liveview in general)

Who's_E
24th September 2011, 07:14 PM
Have you considered the new Panasonic power-zoom 14-42? I haven't seen any reviews but it looks like it covers high quality with light weight. I would assume that it gets close to the 14-54 if it is significantly better than the kits. If you don't need the depth of field of f3.5 at the long end then just compensate the lack of aperture by cranking the ISO up a stop.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic_x_14-42_3p5-5p6/

The Panasonic 14-45 kit lens is quite highly rated but, as others have said, it might cost you more to change than you see in benefits.

Nick

Ulfric M Douglas
24th September 2011, 08:05 PM
My 14-54MkI takes very very nice pictures on these Pen bodies,
however I use it with tripod to get maximum clarity.
Handheld I just use a couple of primes : Olympus 17mm and a manual 45mm.