PDA

View Full Version : Canon D70 Body

abacus180
18th August 2011, 04:03 PM
I had a play with one of these in Jessops today. Seemed V good and the salesman was singing its praise due to the size of the sensor, the quality of the image and its speed among other things compared with the Oly E5.
Is he right?
Graham

OlyPaul
18th August 2011, 04:26 PM
Do you mean a Canon 7D?

crimbo
18th August 2011, 04:43 PM
I had a play with one of these in Jessops today. Seemed V good and the salesman was singing its praise due to the size of the sensor, the quality of the image and its speed among other things compared with the Oly E5.
Is he right?
Graham

No....IMHO

Zuiko
18th August 2011, 05:00 PM
Probably quite evenly matched. It could be a better or worse camera compared to the E-5 according to your personal preferences and requirements. Did the salesman have an E-5 to offer? If not, he would say the Canon was better, wouldn't he?

My preference would be for the E-5, but that's just me. :)

abacus180
18th August 2011, 05:29 PM
sorry a mistake, this is the one

Zuiko
18th August 2011, 09:29 PM
sorry a mistake, this is the one

I assumed it was, unless Canon had updated the 60D with unprecidented haste! :)

David M
18th August 2011, 09:46 PM
Of course he's right, a salesman wouldn't lie to you just to (possibly) make a sale.

And most camera salespeople are experienced, expert, award winning photographers just working in the shop between National Geographic assignments. :rolleyes:

Zuiko
19th August 2011, 08:24 AM
And most camera salespeople are experienced, expert, award winning photographers just working in the shop between National Geographic assignments. :rolleyes:

You've noticed that too then David? *laugh

David M
19th August 2011, 09:30 AM
You've noticed that too then David? *laugh

I think we've both been around long enough to have noticed it years (possibly decades) ago.

I've also noticed that the ideal equipment is always in stock and anything not in stock is a piece of crap not worth considering.

Jim Ford
19th August 2011, 11:00 AM
Is he right?
Graham

There was someone on a forum (this one?) that got rid of a 7D in favour of an Olympus (E5?). I've also seen 7D owners on a wildlife forum struggling with them and keep going back to their 50Ds which they're relieved they'd kept

Jim

Ian
19th August 2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not entirely sure what the point is here? The 7D is a fine camera and Canon users swear by it. Now, this is an Olympus site, so unless we're talking specifics, I don't really understand why Graham has posted this? So Graham - I think you need to be more specific in your question.

Ian

roadkill_6mm
20th August 2011, 08:29 AM
Well......I had an Oly E-510 and now have a Canon 7d - Though I havent used/handled an E5

The 7d is an excellent camera. The high speed shooting is fantastic for capturing high speed military jets (which is a bit of a hobby of mine) also the focus tracking, when coupled with my 300m f4 L series lens makes life so much easier.

Would I swap it for an E-5?

Probably! I've seen results of what the E5 is capable of and I cant say that the 7d is any better. Sure in the right hands the results of just about any camera are fantastic.

One thing I will say for the 7d Vs E5 debate is this.........

Do not get drawn into the old 'Canons are better at handling noise' debate. In my experience they're not. With my 7d when I am shooting aircraft I limit myself to iso 400 (though I prefer not to go above 200) I have shot up to iso 1600 in the past with disappointing results.

Yes the images are perfectly 'useable' at iso1600 - though what's defined as 'useable' is very much subjective.

Personally I like detail - when I shot an F-15 low level in Wales I left the 7d on 'Auto ISO' as it was getting towards the end of the day and the light was fading, in order to keep the shutter speed up my camera selected ISO 1000. The picture itself is fine, though I would have prefered to crop closer to the cockpit however I can due to the loss of detail and noise.

Now as with many things I'm sure things have improved as I have gotten used to the camera and my technique has got better. But the same can be said with just about any camera system.

Many weeks ago I posted the reasoning behind me going from Oly to Canon - in a nutshell it was due to the uncertainty of Olympus in the DSLR market and for the immediate future the PEN series just dont do the things I need them to.

It had NOTHING to do with the quality of Oly gear - in fact the two things I miss the most are the 12-60mm SWD and 50-200mm SWD. They were by far and away my 2 favourite lenses, and still are!

It annoys me that people trust the opinion of sales staff - they're their to make a sale. (ok thats a bit sweeping, I know some sales people out there will give good sound advice even if it means missing out on a sale)
At the same time this is an Oly forum so things are going to be slanted towards Olympus.

So, in a nutshell - a camera is a camera. Get out and take pictures!!

Oh and if you're looking to buy a new one - the way one feels in your hand, which is comfortable is probably more important that the brand on the front.

But bear in mind the colour from an Oly (even my old E-510) is hard to beat!

ATB

Neil

Greytop
20th August 2011, 09:37 AM
Excellent post Neil, good to hear a balanced view from a 7D user rather than seller *chr

Jim Ford
20th August 2011, 09:52 AM
What clinches Olympus for me is the quality of the lenses. At least 99% of image quality is determined by the lens - all the light for the image _has_ to pass through the lens. The camera body is just an accessory to the lens.

When I used film SLRs I used to fret about lens quality - it was so variable. The Konika I had had a good standard 50mm lens, whereas the 50mm Tessar I had on an Exakta was poor. Enlarger optics were also variable in quality.

Now I use Olympus I no longer fret about lens quality. I know that the standard quality lenses are excellent, the 'Pro' quality superb and the 'Top Pro' quality unequalled.

If I went down the road of choosing another camera make, I'd be back to worrying about lens quality and being faced with a range varying from 'bottle bottom' to 'near Olympus'. I've seen really horrible results from good camera bodies, fitted with a notoriously poor 'kit' lens. I don't want to go there!

Jim

Greytop
20th August 2011, 10:46 AM
Spot on post Jim, lens quality is exactly the reason I'm still using Oly 4/3rds.
I too have experienced variable quality/performance of optics elsewhere and hence feel comfortable with Olympus optics if a little unnerved about the future (of 4/3rds).

Zuiko
20th August 2011, 11:47 AM
Well......I had an Oly E-510 and now have a Canon 7d - Though I havent used/handled an E5

The 7d is an excellent camera. The high speed shooting is fantastic for capturing high speed military jets (which is a bit of a hobby of mine) also the focus tracking, when coupled with my 300m f4 L series lens makes life so much easier.

Would I swap it for an E-5?

Probably! I've seen results of what the E5 is capable of and I cant say that the 7d is any better. Sure in the right hands the results of just about any camera are fantastic.

One thing I will say for the 7d Vs E5 debate is this.........

Do not get drawn into the old 'Canons are better at handling noise' debate. In my experience they're not. With my 7d when I am shooting aircraft I limit myself to iso 400 (though I prefer not to go above 200) I have shot up to iso 1600 in the past with disappointing results.

Yes the images are perfectly 'useable' at iso1600 - though what's defined as 'useable' is very much subjective.

Personally I like detail - when I shot an F-15 low level in Wales I left the 7d on 'Auto ISO' as it was getting towards the end of the day and the light was fading, in order to keep the shutter speed up my camera selected ISO 1000. The picture itself is fine, though I would have prefered to crop closer to the cockpit however I can due to the loss of detail and noise.

Now as with many things I'm sure things have improved as I have gotten used to the camera and my technique has got better. But the same can be said with just about any camera system.

Many weeks ago I posted the reasoning behind me going from Oly to Canon - in a nutshell it was due to the uncertainty of Olympus in the DSLR market and for the immediate future the PEN series just dont do the things I need them to.

It had NOTHING to do with the quality of Oly gear - in fact the two things I miss the most are the 12-60mm SWD and 50-200mm SWD. They were by far and away my 2 favourite lenses, and still are!

It annoys me that people trust the opinion of sales staff - they're their to make a sale. (ok thats a bit sweeping, I know some sales people out there will give good sound advice even if it means missing out on a sale)
At the same time this is an Oly forum so things are going to be slanted towards Olympus.

So, in a nutshell - a camera is a camera. Get out and take pictures!!

Oh and if you're looking to buy a new one - the way one feels in your hand, which is comfortable is probably more important that the brand on the front.

But bear in mind the colour from an Oly (even my old E-510) is hard to beat!

ATB

Neil

Thanks Neil for an excellent and very balanced post. I certainly agree that how a camera handles for the individual is the most important consideration by far. Apart from that all cameras have strengths and weaknesses in how they perform and features offered. If I was swapping to Canon I'd go for a 60D in preference to a 7D, mainly for the articulated screen, but I can appreciate the speed of the 7D makes it more suitable for aircraft in flight. What Graham (the OP) has failed to tell us is what his main type of photography involves, or what he is hoping to get into.

Thanks again, Neil, and great to see that you still visit us. :)