PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Boat at Thornham Creek

Zuiko
22nd April 2008, 09:55 PM
I've already posted a couple of versions of this boat, but this one was the most challenging, and potentially most dramatic. It was taken in strong backlighting early one morning, heavily bracketed with tonemapping in mind.

I'm quite pleased with the result, except for excessive noise in the shadow areas of the boat which promted me to do a B&W version.

Is there any way I could avoid that noise? Does this image work, and if so is it best in colour or B&W?

All comments and critisism greatly appreciated.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/THORNHAM_CREEK_tonemapped_5exp_r_s.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/THORNHAM_CREEK_tonemapped_5exp_B_W_r_s.jpg

Thanks,

John

knikki
23rd April 2008, 07:40 AM
Hello Zuiko

Both are good although I prefer the Colour one. The B+W lacks punch and I find the tones of the boat seem to blend into the surrounding grass.

If you got more punch into the B&W one and printed it onto Ilford Harmen paper you might get away with it being "fine art" :D

Don't know aboout the noise I can see any on my monitor at work but I believe "Noise Ninja" is meant to good for getting rid of it.

Jim
23rd April 2008, 07:45 AM
Like the colour one more, there is a lot of interest in the shot other than just the boat and I like this.

HughofBardfield
23rd April 2008, 11:49 AM
Nice images!

I prefer the B&W version, although I agree it perhaps lacks a bit of contrast. A bit of work in Curves might give it a bit more snap.

I like the colour version too, but I find the tones a bit muted for my taste. I wonder if some work on the sky and trees to put more emphasis on the foreground might help????

Just my tuppence. It's a nice shot - well spotted.

Scapula Memory
23rd April 2008, 12:13 PM
I've already posted a couple of versions of this boat, but this one was the most challenging, and potentially most dramatic. It was taken in strong backlighting early one morning, heavily bracketed with tonemapping in mind.

I'm quite pleased with the result, except for excessive noise in the shadow areas of the boat which promted me to do a B&W version.

Is there any way I could avoid that noise? Does this image work, and if so is it best in colour or B&W?

All comments and critisism greatly appreciated.

[LEFT]http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/THORNHAM_CREEK_tonemapped_5exp_r_s.jpg

Thanks,

John

Hi Zuiko,

Hope you do not mind but I ran your colour version through Neat Image to
see what could be done with the noise. No other alterations here, just noise removal. It was done using standard default settings as well. Your thoughts?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/538/THORNHAM_CREEK_tonemapped_5exp_r_s_filtered.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4843)

emirpprime
23rd April 2008, 08:17 PM
Hi John,
I really like the colour version but the sky lets it down. However, if you crop it just above the tree line... It looks ace :D The pastel colours and mist by the trees give it a real feeling.
As to the B&W version, the sky is still weak (a function of the HDR I think), so a crop would help, but generally try bringing up the lights and highlights in a curve, makes a big difference :)
You have a really good shot here, it just needs a bit of tweaking.
All the best,
Phil

DerekC
23rd April 2008, 08:32 PM
I prefer the colour version it work better for me. I agree with Phil about the feeling the mist and pastel colours give to the picture.

Derek C

Zuiko
23rd April 2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys,

you've given me plenty to think about. I've tried the crop just above the trees and can see how this works. I see what you mean about the sky, however there are elements of it that I do like. I must admit I've already worked it a fair bit and it's quite possible that I lack the skills to take it much further without making it obviously artificial. At least with digital I can give it a try with nothing to lose!

John, thanks for taking the time and trouble to run my image through Neat Image. I can see a big improvement in the area that was troubling me, the interior of the hull at the bow end, which on most of the exposures taken was heavily in shadow. that program goes on my shopping list!

I'll also try to get more puch in the B&W, again depending on whether my pp skills are up to it - but at least it'll be good practice!

Thanks again,

John

steverh
24th April 2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks guys,

you've given me plenty to think about. I've tried the crop just above the trees and can see how this works. I see what you mean about the sky, however there are elements of it that I do like. I must admit I've already worked it a fair bit and it's quite possible that I lack the skills to take it much further without making it obviously artificial. At least with digital I can give it a try with nothing to lose!

John, thanks for taking the time and trouble to run my image through Neat Image. I can see a big improvement in the area that was troubling me, the interior of the hull at the bow end, which on most of the exposures taken was heavily in shadow. that program goes on my shopping list!

I'll also try to get more puch in the B&W, again depending on whether my pp skills are up to it - but at least it'll be good practice!

Thanks again,

John

John,

Try Noiseware "Community Edition" if you only need noise reduction occasionally. It works well and it's free. :)

I also think the picture works better if you chop off most of the rather bland and overbright sky.

Invicta
24th April 2008, 05:15 PM
Hi

The bright patches in the bottom left are a bit distracting. Being the brightest item in the photo I find my eye is drawn down to the bottom left.

Maybe a spot of careful "burning" with a black brush on a 50% gray overlay layer over these highlights may help.

Zuiko
1st May 2008, 02:11 AM
Well, I've had a go at addressing some of these points, cropping the sky and toning down some of the foreground hilights, etc.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/update.jpg

Is it an improvement?

Thanks,

John

theMusicMan
1st May 2008, 05:54 AM
I like it John, but to be honest I prefer the original - containing the sky! It adds a certain character to the image. It is certainly a great shot nonetheless.

emirpprime
1st May 2008, 06:32 AM
I certainly prefere this new version, but I'm afraid you'll never please everyone! What do you think about it John? After all, you have the final say and only you can comment on how it looked when you were there.
All the best,
Phil

ndl0071
1st May 2008, 06:53 AM
Hi John

My vote goes with the musicmans opinion here, the new cropped version looks a bit squished to me, much prefer the sky.

However I think we can all agree that it's a great shot either way:cool:

Neil

Zuiko
1st May 2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the opinions, guys. Personally, I like both versions but I just get the feeling that there's something lacking from each, like it was almost a fantastic shot but didn't quite make it. Whatever I do with my limited skills in photoshop fails to give it the vital lift needed. I've got quite a few "if only" pictures in my collection!

John

alert_bri
1st May 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi John,

I like your original colour version the best... I would just keep going back whilever it's there, you never know - you could just get those *perfect* conditions next time!

Well Done, and thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards

Brian