PDA

View Full Version : my new toy arrived today 11-22mm

Crippledsandwich
3rd August 2011, 08:26 PM
brought it from London Camera Exchange, their service was extremely good. Iv only managed to take a few shots around the house, it has really surprised me how different 11mm is to 22mm. It's a cracking lens, feels really well built.

Can anyone give me some advice on getting the best out of the lens, I have had a go at landscapes before but only with my kit lens.

Thanks

crimbo
3rd August 2011, 10:47 PM
Its not a toy!
If you have a filter on the front then do not contemplate going above f8...other wise you will get dust bunnies from the filter!
Keep it level... I have the 12-60 but the 11-22 is still not for sale
enjoy

Crippledsandwich
3rd August 2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks Chris, is that rule for any filter like Cokin P or just the UV/Skylight you and fit to the front?

Nick Temple-Fry
3rd August 2011, 11:14 PM
Watch the edges of your composition, they should make a frame to view the subject, it's very easy to take a wide angle shot and then have to crop away distraction, Liveview is useful if you have time/tripod.

Be careful of lens alignment l/r and tilt, especially if photographing architectural scenes.

Put the hood on the right way up 'Olympus Lens Hood' must be on the top otherwise the lens hood will clip the image quite badly.

And before any long exposure make sure the lens/filter is clean of dust, true for any lens but long exposures can emphasise the problem.

It's a great lens, enjoy it.

Nick

zuiko-holic
4th August 2011, 08:41 AM
brought it from London Camera Exchange, their service was extremely good. Iv only managed to take a few shots around the house, it has really surprised me how different 11mm is to 22mm. It's a cracking lens, feels really well built.

Can anyone give me some advice on getting the best out of the lens, I have had a go at landscapes before but only with my kit lens.

Thanks

Very nice lens indeed, sold it very recently on eBay, but I mostly used it for interiors 'cause of the f/2.8.

For landscapes you have to be careful for flares if the sun is inside or very close your frame. That's the main reason I preferred the Zuiko 9-18 for landscapes.

abacus180
4th August 2011, 10:22 AM
The 11-22 is without doubt my favourite toy. I carried it up Cat's Bells in the Lakes a couple of weeks ago and took some great shots with it (for me that is).

crimbo
4th August 2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks Chris, is that rule for any filter like Cokin P or just the UV/Skylight you and fit to the front?

I got dust bunnies at f11 from the screw-in skylight filter

Crippledsandwich
4th August 2011, 10:26 PM
Watch the edges of your composition, they should make a frame to view the subject, it's very easy to take a wide angle shot and then have to crop away distraction, Liveview is useful if you have time/tripod.

Be careful of lens alignment l/r and tilt, especially if photographing architectural scenes.

Put the hood on the right way up 'Olympus Lens Hood' must be on the top otherwise the lens hood will clip the image quite badly.

And before any long exposure make sure the lens/filter is clean of dust, true for any lens but long exposures can emphasise the problem.

It's a great lens, enjoy it.

Nick
thanks for the advice Nick,

The 11-22 is without doubt my favourite toy. I carried it up Cat's Bells in the Lakes a couple of weeks ago and took some great shots with it (for me that is).

Do you have any of your examples online at all?

I got dust bunnies at f11 from the screw-in skylight filter
Thanks again Chris I will have to look out for that