PDA

View Full Version : Lottery win ( not the 10 prize)

abacus180
3rd August 2011, 01:38 PM
OK, Clean slate.
I wish to purchase a Camera, set of lenses, laptop, software,printer etc etc.
What would you buy in each category?
(not necessarily Oly if you think there are better cameras/lenses etc. available)
Graham

son of sid
3rd August 2011, 02:35 PM
Apologies for stating the obvious, But it all depends on what you want to photograph and how (eg will you be stitching HDR stuff and panoramic shots), what you want to do with the pictures afterwards and, if printing how large you want to go.

You also need to add a decent tripod and flash to your list.

If money were no object (and I could manage the weight) then I'd opt for two bodies - Nikon D3s and D3x - and the basic four pack of Zooms - 14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 200-400mm f4. To this I'd add the 105mm f2.8 micro for macro shots, the 85mm f1.4 for portraiture and the 24mm and 45mm PC lenses for architectural photography..

I'd also buy an SB-900 flash.

Tripod would be a Gitzo Carbon Fibre or equivalent or one of the top of the line Manfrotto's, either with an Arca or Kirk Ball-head.

For the computer I'd get the fully specced out MPG Mac Pro from OCZ in the States together with two NEC WUXI 30" screens (or equivalent).

Software - a minimum of Photoshop CS-5 and Lightroom.

Printer would be an Epson - the model dependent on How big I wanted to print.

BUT - first of all - I'd sign up for every photography course I had access to, to ensure I had my technique nailed and knew what I was doing, what I wanted to do and how to get the best out of my equipment.

Sid :)

son of sid
3rd August 2011, 02:40 PM
On second thoughts - I could never handle the weight of the Nikon gear - I'd go for something like a Leica III with a few primes as my carry round system and a complete Mamiya 6 system for more "serious" work together with a Freezer full of film to use with them.

I'd still do the courses though.

DekHog
3rd August 2011, 03:17 PM
Leica M9 and a few tasty primes to go with it would be nice..... :D

abacus180
3rd August 2011, 03:46 PM
Leica M9 and a few tasty primes to go with it would be nice..... :D
Thanks mate.
that's the camera sorted, lenses? Laptop, studio facilities? I've just come into an awful lot of money to spend, lucky me. I know it wont mean I can take good photos.

Zuiko
3rd August 2011, 07:14 PM
Don't settle for 3rd party recommendations, visit camera shops and try everything you're possibly interested in for yourself. With money to burn, you can also hire virtually anything Canon or Nikon plus, of course, all the tasty Zuiko lenses for Olympus. Trying before you buy must be the very best solution.

With unlimited funds I'd have a number of systems for different purposes.

For landscapes from the boot of the car I'd have a 5x4 field camera with digital back with 60mm, 90mm, 150mm and 300mm lenses, a full set of Lee ND grads and use my existing Pentax spot meter.

For low light I'd have a couple of Nikon D3s with 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 (two bodies to avoid changing lenses, thus minimizing the Nikon dust problem).

For street and travelling light I'd have an E-P3 with large grip, VF2, 12mm, 45mm mZuikos and 14mm and 20mm Panasonics.

For sport, wildlife and for mobile landscapes (me mobile, not the land) when I want something more than a Pen but need something lighter than the 5x4 I'd have an E-5. I'd love to say I'd have the 300mm f2.8 for sport/wildlife but I don't think I'd handle it so I'd have the 50-200mm, EC14, and Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma). Possibly also the 150mm f2 depending on weight. Wide and standard lenses would be 9-18mm, 35-70mm and 12-60mm for greater flexibility when wanting to travel light with just one lens. For macro I'd have the 50mm f2 and the Sigma 150mm f2.8 and I'd throw in an 8mm fisheye as well.

Or I might not waste time pondering over all that gear, just grab what I've already got and leave first thing tomorrow to spend a year on the west coast of Ireland! :D

Benedict
3rd August 2011, 07:51 PM
true happiness can only be achieved by donating to those of us who less well off than you .....:):):):):)*yes*yes*yes

crimbo
3rd August 2011, 07:56 PM
The M9 is an obvious choice to tryout...how about looking at the Sigma SD 1...but to be honest if you can manage the weight then an E5 with the best lenses you can handle

wanderer
3rd August 2011, 09:03 PM
I thought this might just be a disguised wish list thread. But if you've come into money, lucky you. I came into a reasonable sum recently and it permitted me to add to my collection an E-5,the 7-14 and 50mm macro.
I'm delighted with the results so far and feel there is a noticeable improvement in quality rendition.

If I had a few more grand to spend I would add the 14-35, 35-100 and the 90-250. This would give a range from 14-700mm with the EC-14 (at 35mm equiv) and I cannot think of a scenario that that would not cover. I have an FL-50R and would buy a second and figure out how to use them as a mobile studio lighting system. I have a very good Manfrotto tripod but might consider an upgrade to a Gitzo Mountaineer.

I don't know enough about laptops to figure out what the top of a range might be but it would have CS5 extended and Photomatix and link to an A3+ Epson printer.

There is lots of other stuff if it were an unreasonable amount.:) Hasselblads, Fuji 617, Caravanette, a porter to help me carry it all, etc.

It is nice just to dream sometimes.*yes
And now I've done a wish list.:D

abacus180
3rd August 2011, 09:59 PM
I thought this might just be a disguised wish list thread. But if you've come into money, lucky you. I came into a reasonable sum recently and it permitted me to add to my collection an E-5,the 7-14 and 50mm macro.
I'm delighted with the results so far and feel there is a noticeable improvement in quality rendition.

If I had a few more grand to spend I would add the 14-35, 35-100 and the 90-250. This would give a range from 14-700mm with the EC-14 (at 35mm equiv) and I cannot think of a scenario that that would not cover. I have an FL-50R and would buy a second and figure out how to use them as a mobile studio lighting system. I have a very good Manfrotto tripod but might consider an upgrade to a Gitzo Mountaineer.

I don't know enough about laptops to figure out what the top of a range might be but it would have CS5 extended and Photomatix and link to an A3+ Epson printer.

There is lots of other stuff if it were an unreasonable amount.:) Hasselblads, Fuji 617, Caravanette, a porter to help me carry it all, etc.

It is nice just to dream sometimes.*yes
And now I've done a wish list.:D

That's the best advice so far. I am speaking to Kerso at the moment about a 3K spend so don't ridicule me for having some money to spend the rest of you.
Graham

wanderer
3rd August 2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks. I almost give the impression I know what I'm talking about.

I am speaking to Kerso at the moment about a 3K spend so don't ridicule me for having some money to spend the rest of you.

Guess who I got the E-5 and the 7-14 from?:D

I go for Olympus for a number of reasons.
1. Its copes very well in British weather due to its build.
2. The range of equipment, although not as large as Canikons, is comprehensive.
3. The rotatable screen/live view is a great point for those of us who don't want to lie on the ground or carry a stepladder to take photos. Used the live view the other day in a microlight as I couldn't use the viewfinder with a visor helmet.
4. The file sizes are not too enormous and mean you can use a less 'heavy' laptop.
5. I've been an Olympus man for 35 years and always liked their approach.

For that budget I would go for an E-5, 12-60, 50-200, 35mm macro, EC14 and FL-50R. I think that would probably be around 3K (in Kerso's prices) and cover 90%+ of your picture taking needs.
Try the other lenses and bits via Ian's hire before you buy. I have and its well worthwhile.
For a laptop, a 17" screen (I'm writing this on a Dell of that size) and Elements 9 as a starter kit. The larger screen is better for working on your photos.

Enjoy shopping.

David M
3rd August 2011, 10:38 PM
Tripod would be a Gitzo Carbon Fibre or equivalent or one of the top of the line Manfrotto's, either with an Arca or Kirk Ball-head.

I'd go with either the Arca-Swiss or Really Right Stuff BH-55 and maybe one of the RRS carbon fibre tripods.

DekHog
3rd August 2011, 10:50 PM
If I'd seriously come into money, would I buy Olympus? Hell no, you must be kidding! I'd maybe buy an E-P3 for the other half, but there are a 101 better things out there than any Olympus model if the truth be told..... don't burn good money on stuff you don't need, even if you can easily afford it....

I'd give you my full wish list, but that's only any use to me, not to you.... :)

Zuiko
3rd August 2011, 11:04 PM
so don't ridicule me for having some money to spend the rest of you.
Graham

Has anyone ridiculed you? :)

OlyPaul
4th August 2011, 07:05 AM
Even as a Olympus die hard I'd be loath to recommend investing in system (Four Thirds) that is at a dead end or at best stagnant, unless you are already tied into it with a lot of expensive equipment. :[

I will not post my wish list as it is quite modest these days. :)

CallaWolf
4th August 2011, 08:41 AM
I'd be looking at an M9 for street photos and a Hasselblad for the rest

Oh, such dreams