PDA

View Full Version : Which gear for Austria in changable weather?

Greytop
2nd August 2011, 06:09 PM
Title says it, I'm weighing up (literally :)) taking either my m4/3 kit or slimmed down E-5, 12-60, 50 f/2, 40-150 Mk1 (all weather except 40-150) based package.
Might also consider taking the 7-14 but then I would need my back pack :(

Any thoughts?

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd August 2011, 06:23 PM
Go light. I have decided the m4/3 is the perfect travel system.

For seriously bad weather I have the mju 1030 SW

Have a great time

*chr

Chevvyf1
3rd August 2011, 07:10 AM
Huw, I ache like heck after lugging lenses and cameras all day Monday. BUT without them I would have missed so many photos ! So I would go E-5 to maintain the IQ and a wide and a long lens !

DerekW
3rd August 2011, 08:40 AM
Austria covers a wide range of terrains from Vienna and Salzburg to the Alps - which area are you going to.

TBH I agree I agree with Chevy take the E5 and also take the M4/3 for informal evening strolls thru the cities

Greytop
3rd August 2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Graham, Chevvy and Derek *chr
I guess my angle was really from the weather resistance point of view due to the forecast for the Tyrolean region over the coming days. Having used my m4/3 kit a fair bit (including a recent weekend away) I know the image quality is there.
I'm trying to weigh up the reluctance to lug my 4/3 gear around against it's weather resistance and flexibility benefits.

Greytop
5th August 2011, 02:25 PM
After a bit of deliberation I've decided to go weather proof and robust but on the heavy side :)
Edit: E-5 minus grip, plus 12-60, 40-150 Mk1, 50 f/2 and EC-14 because I'm taking my mid sized Lowepro :)

The changeable and unpredictable weather was the deciding factor, were it some where more dependable (weather wise) then it would most definitely have been the E-PL2 and my m4/3 lenses.

Chevvyf1
5th August 2011, 07:04 PM
Huw, you have reminded me to sellmy Grips ! I never use them and the E-5 batteries last for ages and charge real quick !
Have a wonderful hols and I look forward to the fab shots!

Greytop
5th August 2011, 08:53 PM
Huw, you have reminded me to sellmy Grips ! I never use them and the E-5 batteries last for ages and charge real quick !
Have a wonderful hols and I look forward to the fab shots!

Thanks Chevvy, I'm hoping to get reasonable ones, fingers crossed *chr