PDA

View Full Version : EC-14 or EC-20

Graham_of_Rainham
21st April 2008, 12:09 PM
For those lucky enough to have (or tried) both the extenders, a simple question :confused:

Which one is the most useful?

And

The hard question, why?

I'm thinking of getting one and any steer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

Ian
21st April 2008, 12:20 PM
For those lucky enough to have (or tried) both the extenders, a simple question :confused:

Which one is the most useful?

And

The hard question, why?

I'm thinking of getting one and any steer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

I only have the EC-14 and haven't yet tried the EC-20, but I get the feeling that the EC-14 is less problematic. It only loses 1 stop of brightness compared to the EC-20 (2 stops) and when used with the slower lenses in the range this often means that the lens has to be wide open when shooting.

It's the same with other camera brands - most report that the 1.4x converter is more usable than the 2x version. On the other hand I'd expect the 2x to work well with the faster (f/2 and f/2.8 - translating to f/4 and f/5.6, respectively) lenses.

Ian

j.baker
21st April 2008, 01:01 PM
Graham,

I find the EC-20 mostly useless. I will be looking at the EC-14 sometime this year.

If you are at eny of the events this weekend, you can try our my ec-20.

Graham_of_Rainham
21st April 2008, 02:16 PM
John,

That's exceedingly decent of you *chr

Regards

Graham

andym
21st April 2008, 02:20 PM
I'll have an EC14 with me at Woburn this weekend if anyone wants to try.
I use it on the 50-200 most of the time with very good results.

scanny
21st April 2008, 11:04 PM
I bought an ec 20 to use with my 50-200. I could only get any good results if i used a tripod in the gloomy scottish light with my e1, even with a e510 i was still struggling. I sold it on fleabay and now have my eyes on a 135-400 sigma. The concencus i found was the ec 14 was more usable with the ec20 being condition dependant, however a newbie like me has probally hindered the ec20.

theMusicMan
22nd April 2008, 05:12 AM
I have the EC-14 and at first found it difficult to use (with my 70-300mm) - needing a lot of light to get decent images, as well as being soft at the long end. I guess this is reminiscent of the 70-300 rather than the EC-14 though, as when this combination is used for getting closer to 'closer' subjects rather than 'distant' subjects the images are much better (if you see what I mean!).

I tried photographing a Heronry recently where there were around 10 Herons across the opposite side of a river that were probably at least 100' away. Even with the 70-300 at max fl with the EC-14 I wasn't really close enough for anywhere near a full frame image, so I guess the birds were a tad too far away to expect a decent shot. Most of the images I captured of the Herons were somewhat soft, however, when I capture birds in my garden or at my feeder, the quality is very good indeed. The main difference is that under these shooting conditions very often I am not necessarily at maximum fl and as such the image quality seems to be maintained.

For me it's simply been down to learning technique, and knowing the limitations of the lens combination i.e. 70-300mm + EC14. I have read of good results being obtained from the 50-200mm + EC14 too, though not particularly from the EC20 combination.

Hope that helps.

Melaka
22nd April 2008, 06:41 AM
I have my eyes on a 135-400 sigma.

The Sigma is now listed as a discontinued lens so unless you can find some unsold stock it'll have to be a second hand one. There've been comments on other threads to the effect that it is a bit soft and that the 1.4 and 50-200 are sharper, albeit with less reach.

I've tried a borrowed 1.4 with my 50-200 and was so impressed I've ordered one for delivery this week.

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd April 2008, 08:28 AM
Well I'm not sure that I'd agree that the 135-400 is particularly soft - and we've had a thread quite recently demonstrating the contrary. I'm using it quite happily with the ec1.4 when I want the extra oomph.

But the 50-200 + ec1.4 - well that's magical, you'll enjoy it immensely.

Nick

HughofBardfield
22nd April 2008, 10:41 AM
Well I'm not sure that I'd agree that the 135-400 is particularly soft - and we've had a thread quite recently demonstrating the contrary. I'm using it quite happily with the ec1.4 when I want the extra oomph.

But the 50-200 + ec1.4 - well that's magical, you'll enjoy it immensely.

Nick

Like he said!

Shame if Sigma have discontinued the 135-400... It's still listed on Sigma UK's website (not that that means anything...)

Scapula Memory
22nd April 2008, 12:31 PM
Graham,

Excellent question as I am considering one or the other as well. What alerted me to an issue was pricing where the ec20 can be got cheaper than the ec 14. From what I have been reading on the net the ec14 is by far the more sensible choice.

I suppose though it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Melaka
22nd April 2008, 05:12 PM
Discontinued lenses are at www.four-thirds.org/en/products/popup/end_of_sale/lens.html