PDA

View Full Version : 70-300 and EX25 = wonderful macro tool

Tordan58
1st August 2011, 08:32 AM
Hi,

Yesterday I tested this combination and I must say found it extremely useful for photographing insects at comfortable shooting range. With comfortable I mean at a distance where you are less intrusive / causing the the subject to flee.

Below is a reprint from the Olympus Japan site, specifying the working range and magnification ratio for the combo at some focal lengths:

70mm MF 42.5cm ~ 43.8cm 0.34 ~ 0.4x
150mm MF 74.2cm ~ 125.8cm 0.17 ~ 0.42x
300mm MF 90.8 ~ 422.1cm 0.09 ~ 0.66x

Divide the size of the sensor (21.7 mm diagonal) with the magnification factor to get an idea of what subjects you could fill the frame with. Being able to take pictures of e.g. butterflies at several meters distance, filling the frame, is really nice.

For some strange reason Olympus declare that only MF is working but that is not true. Having roughly adjusted focus with the zoom, the AF system will do the fine focus adjustment for you.

A monopod is a useful companion to this setup, not only reducing shake blur but also allowing you to relax and secure the distance to subject (since DOF is narrow).

I plan to post pictures later.

/Tord

Ross the fiddler
1st August 2011, 10:26 AM
It is a good combination for close up shots & the monopod is also helpful with it, but a ball head is possibly best in this application as you chase bugs around the garden with the flexibility of angling the monopod to where you need it.

Tordan58
2nd August 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi Ross,

Regarding the monopod, I went for a model with a fixed head partly due to not finding one with a ball head providing just the right amount of "fluidity" (is that the right word?). The ball heads I had the possibility to test either felt too lose or too tight. Too tight = same as fixed head, too lose = concerns when moving around with the setup.

I agree a functional ball head would allow even more relaxed tracking of subjects without having to adjust length every now and then.

Is there any make and model you could recommend?

Regards,
Tord

CallaWolf
2nd August 2011, 10:18 AM
Anyone tried the 50-200 with the EX25? I'd be interested in a direct comparison

(I should add that even though I have both, I've never tried it)

Tordan58
2nd August 2011, 10:51 AM
Anyone tried the 50-200 with the EX25? I'd be interested in a direct comparison

(I should add that even though I have both, I've never tried it)

Hi,
Yes I have tried.

For medium range macro shooting the setup possible to use but since the lens is does not have macro features by design you will have to face a tradeoff between macro magnification vs. range of working distances.

The tradeoff is easiset expressed as below (reprint from Olympus specifications)

ED 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
50mm MF 27.6 ~ 28cm 0.48 ~ 0.49x
100mm MF 48.9 ~ 53.9cm 0.25 ~ 0.32x
200mm MF 88.5 ~ 195.9cm 0.12 ~ 0.35x

At 50 mm you need to be +/- 2 mm from subject - not useful
At 100 mm the range is +/- 25 mm - quite limited
AT 200 mm the range is more than +/- 50 cm from subject which is useful, magnification max 0.35X is not that great.

I would say a typical application area could be flora or other static objects with a size 5-20 cm

/Tord

Ross the fiddler
2nd August 2011, 12:09 PM
Hi Ross,

Regarding the monopod, I went for a model with a fixed head partly due to not finding one with a ball head providing just the right amount of "fluidity" (is that the right word?). The ball heads I had the possibility to test either felt too lose or too tight. Too tight = same as fixed head, too lose = concerns when moving around with the setup.

I agree a functional ball head would allow even more relaxed tracking of subjects without having to adjust length every now and then.

Is there any make and model you could recommend?

Regards,
Tord

I use a Giottos lighter duty one (on an Optima monopod that has had the lever clamps modified to lock tightly to make it double as a monopole for walking) that you would probably say is too loose, but a quick loosening & tightening of the thumb screw suffices for me. I can see something that could have a well controlled tension giving a firm but fluid operation would be ideal.