PDA

View Full Version : Bannerdale Crags

Yorkie
20th April 2008, 07:49 PM
This was taken in Feb 2008 with E510 and the kit 14mm lens. No poloriser.

Thoughts please.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/2100665-1.jpg

Thanks

Ian
20th April 2008, 08:48 PM
I like this one a lot - it has really good sense of space.

Ian

BigD
20th April 2008, 09:03 PM
wow, it makes you realise just how big the world is :)

Dave.

Zuiko
20th April 2008, 09:18 PM
Side lighting provides strong relief and creates a great sense of depth in this scene. Good composition, using the curve of the edge of the coomb to lead the eye through the picture. You say a polarising filter was not used but the sky displays the characteristics of a polariser, with uneven saturation and bluish tinge to the clouds. I don't think this is a white balance issue because the mottled colours of the fells appear sufficiently neutral. The saturation of the sky may be a little overcooked, but I quite like it in this instance as it does add drama to this fine shot of a hill walk I have enjoyed myself in the dim and distant past.

John

JohnGG
20th April 2008, 09:19 PM
I like the way your eye is lead from the foreground around the curve of the ridge into the distance and the figures give a sense of scale. Nice one :)

Cheers,

JohnGG

Graham_of_Rainham
20th April 2008, 10:14 PM
In addition to agreeing with the comments already made.

If this is not to be a record shot, may I suggest that you flip the image (horizontally) and crop so that the leading diagonal then runs from lower left corner, across towards the upper right.

A little tweek to bring the red in the jackets up just a bit. It's where the eye goes so why not let it see what it expects...

I too thought this has a polorised sky as the graduated darkening in the top corners is quite pronounced. Cropping this off to give the image a panoramic format will, I feel, enhance the overall picture.

Overall, I think, this is a very credible image and one worthy of display.

Zuiko
20th April 2008, 10:37 PM
In addition to agreeing with the comments already made.

If this is not to be a record shot, may I suggest that you flip the image (horizontally) and crop so that the leading diagonal then runs from lower left corner, across towards the upper right.

A little tweek to bring the red in the jackets up just a bit. It's where the eye goes so why not let it see what it expects...

I too thought this has a polorised sky as the graduated darkening in the top corners is quite pronounced. Cropping this off to give the image a panoramic format will, I feel, enhance the overall picture.

Overall, I think, this is a very credible image and one worthy of display.

Cropping is fine, but I'm not sure about flipping the image. True, it would look better but it would also lose its veracity and compromise Yorkie's memories of what was no doubt a very enjoyable day on the hills.

I don't think this image is destined to be "more" than a record shot but there is nothing wrong with that and this IMO is a very worthwhile record shot. I'd be very pleased to have it in my files, forming part of the memories that define my life. And I'd have loved to be there when this shot was taken. May even have taken one similar myself. *yes

John

Ellie
20th April 2008, 11:05 PM
Wow! What a huge space, and what tiny little people

All I can say is I like the picture, it's got a feeling of wintery cold even without any ice and snow because of the muted colours.

Ray Shotter
21st April 2008, 10:59 AM
I think you have captured a superb scene and the composition balance is excellent and the colour contrast very good. I like it very much.

Ray.

OlyPaul
21st April 2008, 01:31 PM
Nice use of sidelighting and the figures help to create the mid ground and it does give a sense of space as Ian said, but I have to confess I'm a advocate of including some foreground interest as well when using a wide angle lens even if its only a rock but thats just me and I also agree with a little less saturation in the sky comment...just my thoughts.:)

ewan
21st April 2008, 05:01 PM
Splendid shot of some splendid scenery

steverh
21st April 2008, 05:38 PM
Lovely - it makes me want to put my boots on and head for the hills.

Barr1e
21st April 2008, 06:08 PM
Good grief - was it windy?

Regards. Barr1e

Zuiko
21st April 2008, 08:01 PM
Good grief - was it windy?

Regards. Barr1e

No, it was following a lunch-time session involving a few jars of Jennings at the Mill Inn, Mungrisdale! ;)

John

alert_bri
6th May 2008, 07:59 PM
This is a really nice shot John... the only improvement I could suggest would be to lighten the sky just a little from the top left corner... it's a little oppressive.

Kind Regards

Brian