PDA

View Full Version : HELP! E-1 zoomed vs. XZ-1 cropped

DJMC
31st July 2011, 02:30 PM
:confused:

Weird question:

If I looked at a photo of a distant subject taken firstly with my 6MP E-1 at EFL 600mm (70-300 lens), and then one with my (coming) XZ-1 10MP at EFL 112mm (max zoom), then cropped the XZ-1 pic to match the E-1's, which would be 'better', the uncropped E-1 or the cropped XZ-1, and why?

I'm aware camera shake with the E-1 at 600mm EFL would be an issue!

Just wondering if I could do away with my seldom used 70-300 and rely instead with cropping the XZ-1 as Ian did here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14800

Any theories welcome. Facts even better!

;)

DekHog
31st July 2011, 06:45 PM
Assuming you never hand held the E-1, or had a decent enough shutter speed, I'd say the E-1 by the proverbial mile. The sensor in the XZ-1 is still tiny in comparison to a 4/3 sensor, so even though you only have (a very excellent) 6mp with the E-1, it should still kick the XZ-1 into the weeds - cropping is death for photographs! Cropping images from a compact is also death.... but torture comes free of charge before it... :)

crimbo
31st July 2011, 07:00 PM
You will have the kit... so go experiment

wfk
31st July 2011, 07:06 PM
(a very excellent) 6mp with the E-1

5mp :)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/page2.asp

DJMC
31st July 2011, 07:53 PM

Oops, slip of the finger!

What are the two sensor dimensions, E-1 & XZ-1, and what size the pixels themselves? (not that I'll really understand the figures for sure!)

Is Ian a genius with his XZ-1 duck photo?
It's double the megapixels of the E-1 but it looks much better than double the IQ. Guess the improvement is exponential?

:confused:

DekHog
31st July 2011, 07:59 PM

My bad.... :rolleyes:

Nick Temple-Fry
31st July 2011, 08:39 PM
Surely the issue is the lens resolution, not having ether a 70-300 of an XZ-1 I can't really comment, but would expect that the 70-300 would outresolve the XZ-1.

Nick

Zuiko
31st July 2011, 09:03 PM
You can get away with some amazing crops, even from a compact, for low resolution web pictures but just try making an actual print. I'd expect the E-1 to out-resolve a 10mp compact even before cropping.

Shaw
31st July 2011, 09:20 PM
I am expecting delivery of an XZ-1 on Tuesday as a replacement compact for my Panasonic TZ10. Even slight crops from the TZ10 have been extremely disappointing, and seeing Ian's crop from the XZ-1 prompted me to go for one.

DJMC
31st July 2011, 09:55 PM
I am expecting delivery of an XZ-1 on Tuesday as a replacement compact for my Panasonic TZ10. Even slight crops from the TZ10 have been extremely disappointing, and seeing Ian's crop from the XZ-1 prompted me to go for one.

Yep, me too. Mine arrives tomorrow. Shall we both do some comparison zoom/crops E-1 vs. XZ-1?

;)

Shaw
31st July 2011, 10:06 PM
Yep, me too. Mine arrives tomorrow. Shall we both do some comparison zoom/crops E-1 vs. XZ-1?;)
Sounds like a good idea.

DJMC
1st August 2011, 07:47 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

Actually, you could do some E-5 vs. XZ-1 comparison shots too, and I could do some E-620?

;)

Sprocketdog23
19th November 2011, 11:53 PM
On a PC monitor, and viewed as 'fit image to screen', and then taking into account the differences of the 'in camera processing' by both the E-1 and the XZ-1, it would just come down to which image you liked best, there would be little to separate them quality wise.

The real difference won't be apparent until you start to print the image, and print it large too. I had (but now sold) a HP A1+ printer and used it commercially to print images for clients. I would be given images from compacts, from SLR's and from scanned film. Any SLR from about 6MP (none of the clients ever supplied an image from an E-1 to print though) upwards produced stunning results even at A1, but images from compacts (even very expensive ones), with their tiny but packed sensors never quite matched on print the way they were on screen.

So, if you do very little printing, then expect the XZ-1 to match your E-1 quite well, but start zooming into those pixels, or making a large print, and you E-1 will leave the XZ-1 way way behind.