PDA

View Full Version : E-520?

Ian
20th April 2008, 04:40 PM
Is a new E-520 model going to make a miraculous appearance by the end of next week? It's not impossible, I suppose, but put it this way - I haven't heard one iota of a hint from trused sources that this is the case.

An E-510 replacement certainly is on the way - we have even seen trade show 'scoop' shots of such a thing, but I would be very surprised (though very pleasantly so) if one turned up by the end of the week.

As many of you know, John Perriment has arranged a Four Thirds User and E-Group users meet in Woburn for Saturday, 26th. If an E-520 makes an appearance by then, I'll be certain to bring it along. I'll definitely have the 14-35 f/2.0, E-420 and pancake lens, 50-200 SWD, and a variety of other lenses for attendees to try out!

For full details, see:

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420

I'm looking forward to seeing you there! :)

Ian

OlyFlyer
21st April 2008, 08:32 AM
On DPReview there is a guy spreading some rumour about a new flat top body. I think it is just to create some attention, I have problems to believe Olympus will spend money on the concept which was proven a failure. I hope I am right, not that I wish those who love the design anything bad, but I see no advantage in the camera's shape.

Ian
21st April 2008, 09:06 AM
On DPReview there is a guy spreading some rumour about a new flat top body. I think it is just to create some attention, I have problems to believe Olympus will spend money on the concept which was proven a failure. I hope I am right, not that I wish those who love the design anything bad, but I see no advantage in the camera's shape.

Well, there is one key advantage of the E-330 and that is the implementation of a secondary sensor for full time live view. Whether that's enough to make a MkII E-330 economically justifiable is a big question. But the live view system has been considerably enhanced since the E-330, so it now displays changes in exposure and colour balance. The E-420's imager live view also has face recognition - which is not as useless as some might assume, and contrast detect AF - again quite useful for some circumstances. Combine all these features and you have an attractive live view DSLR. I personally think there are are other priorities for Olympus, but you never know.

Ian

OlyFlyer
21st April 2008, 12:42 PM
Yes, but flat top is not a pre requisite of Live view Mode A, is it? It surely can be implemented in any body shape. Honestly, I don't understand why it is not implemented in the E-3 and the other LV bodies. The only reason I can think of is that it makes the OVF dimmer, and if that is absolutely not possible to avoid than I am happy it's not implemented in the E-3.

Ian
21st April 2008, 01:06 PM
Yes, but flat top is not a pre requisite of Live view Mode A, is it? It surely can be implemented in any body shape. Honestly, I don't understand why it is not implemented in the E-3 and the other LV bodies. The only reason I can think of is that it makes the OVF dimmer, and if that is absolutely not possible to avoid than I am happy it's not implemented in the E-3.

Sony has implemented Mode-A style live view in its Alpha A300 and A350, and these are - I understand - pentamirror designs, but the live view involves tilting the pentamirror inside the camera to deflect the view to the secondary sensor. I wonder if this is vulnerable to alignment issues compared to the porro finder Olympus uses in the E-330. Yes, the E-330 does have a relatively dim viewfinder, though my main concern wasn't the brightness, but the visible size. I got used to the brightness issue quite quickly.

Flat top interchangeable lens cameras are likely appear eventually - thanks to electronic viewfinders. I'm sure I can imagine you recoiling in horror as you read this :D but EVFs will get better and the ability to overlay information on the viewfinder is a positive benefit.

Ian

Ellie
21st April 2008, 01:45 PM
Is the 520 a reality now then Ian, instead of a rumour generated by a typo?

I've spotted this "E-520 Photos from dcwatch" (http://www.4-3system.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=131) but I can't make head nor tail of the page it eventually leads to.

OlyFlyer
21st April 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm sure I can imagine you recoiling in horror as you read this :D
IanYou are definitely right about this. The day Oly introduces EVF in their top models I'll be looking elsewhere for cameras.

Ian
21st April 2008, 02:39 PM
Is the 520 a reality now then Ian, instead of a rumour generated by a typo?

I've spotted this "E-520 Photos from dcwatch" (http://www.4-3system.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=131) but I can't make head nor tail of the page it eventually leads to.

The whole point of this thread was to say that I have no knowledge of an 'actual' E-520 :)

But the pictures from DC Watch would logically be such a camera.

Ian