PDA

View Full Version : Olympus PEN family gets new electronic viewfinder

Four Thirds User
27th July 2011, 08:40 PM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Olympus has released a new high resolution electronic viewfinder for compatible Pen Micro Four Thirds cameras, the VF-3.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/07/olympus_pen_family_gets_new_electronic_viewfinder. php)

DJMC
27th July 2011, 09:36 PM
:)

...and only 180!!

Bargain!!

:eek:

Kees
27th July 2011, 09:53 PM
If that translates to the same price level in Euro, it would be 205 euro. The VF-2 costs 235 euro here, not a very big difference....

stevednp3
27th July 2011, 11:54 PM
It's frustrating how none of the new pen accessories are compatible with the epl1 I bought the pen thinking or should I say advertised at the time that loads of add ons was to be released in the future, disappointed :mad:

OlyPaul
28th July 2011, 06:09 AM
It's frustrating how none of the new pen accessories are compatible with the epl1 I bought the pen thinking or should I say advertised at the time that loads of add ons was to be released in the future, disappointed :mad:

And one of the reasons I will not be getting one until (if ever) there is a built in EVF. I will not be held to ransom for expensive accessories that could be outdated and unusable on another body in a couple of years time when Olympus decide what the next buzz thing is for the Iphone masses.

Zuiko
28th July 2011, 03:25 PM

Is the new viewfinder not compatible with the E-PL1 then? :confused:

stevednp3
28th July 2011, 03:34 PM
Is the new viewfinder not compatible with the E-PL1 then? :confused:

No it isnt, just like all the other addons that came out when the EP2 was released :mad: :mad: :mad:

Zuiko
28th July 2011, 05:49 PM
No it isnt, just like all the other addons that came out when the EP2 was released :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ouch! I think Olympus just dropped the ball on this one. :mad: Considering that the E-PL1 accepts the VF-2 there is simply no reason I can think of why the VF-3 should not be compatible. :confused:

smartwombat
28th July 2011, 10:30 PM
VF-3 is lower resolution, so there must be some protocol that tells the camera if it's a VF-2 or VF-3 connected and it gets fed 1.4MP or 920KP data.
I could understand that the older models of camera might not have this built in, though it may be it could be a new firmware feature in a few months.
Depends if it requires the new TrupicVI diual core engine to do it or not.
Whether it's necessary depends on how good the OLED display is in sunlight on the E-P3, or how good the tilting LCD is on the E-PL3.

smartwombat
28th July 2011, 10:32 PM
But over at dpreview it says "Compatible with all PEN cameras that have an accessory port, the VF-3 has a street price of $179.99, offers a 100% field of view and can be tilted by up to 90 degrees."

That's the same accessory port on E-PL1,2,3 and E-P2,3 then?

stevednp3
28th July 2011, 11:30 PM
But over at dpreview it says "Compatible with all PEN cameras that have an accessory port, the VF-3 has a street price of $179.99, offers a 100% field of view and can be tilted by up to 90 degrees."

That's the same accessory port on E-PL1,2,3 and E-P2,3 then?

Hopefully I'm very much wrong, as I do fancy getting the vf-3 :D but some of the sites I have read have said not, Ill go back through my history to find links.

stevednp3
28th July 2011, 11:40 PM
Whoops sorry :o back pedal, it will be compatible soon with a firmware update
http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1501&page=accessories

Oh well faith restored :D

gregles
28th July 2011, 11:59 PM
http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1501&page=accessories

Oh well faith restored :D

Oops:D

See the trouble you cause*chr:D;)

stevednp3
29th July 2011, 08:05 AM
Oops:D

See the trouble you cause*chr:D;)

:o:o:o:o:o:o

smartwombat
29th July 2011, 06:56 PM

I could understand that the older models of camera might not have this built in, though it may be it could be a new firmware feature in a few months.

I'll turn my precognition down a notch.

DJMC
2nd August 2011, 11:45 AM
Any ideas when the VF-3 will be out?

My XZ-1 arrived yesterday and although I'm impressed with it's screens's useablility (like using the E-620 in Live View) I may be interested in the add-on finder at a reasonable price. That still has to be sub-100 for me.

:confused: