PDA

View Full Version : Lens cleaning

andym
20th April 2008, 10:35 AM
Anyone got any tips on cleaning muck off lenses.I am alway a bit scared of doing this.
I have been using the new 50-500 without a filter and have a few marks on it.

Thanks

Invicta
20th April 2008, 11:32 AM
Try a lens pen:

e.g.

http://www.newprouk.co.uk/LENS%20Lenspen.htm

I have a lens pen and the square verson for cleaning the LCD display and they are very good at removing marks.

Jim
20th April 2008, 05:40 PM
Try and get a good quality lens pen, i had a freebie one that seemed to shed little black bits all the time.

j.baker
20th April 2008, 08:03 PM
I do use lens pens when I am out and about, but to get a good clean I use lens paper and lens clean from visible dust.

The problem with lens pens is they can leave a black resedue on glass. This does not appear to affect any photos, but you can see it.

I used the lens clean solution on the bigma after water drops got on the front lens.

It looked like new after cleaning. Its not cheap, but it works.

ianc
20th April 2008, 08:07 PM
I never use anything except a brush and microfiber cloth.

Ian C.

Jim
20th April 2008, 08:09 PM
I do use lens pens when I am out and about, but to get a good clean I use lens paper and lens clean from visible dust.

The problem with lens pens is they can leave a black resedue on glass. This does not appear to affect any photos, but you can see it.

I used the lens clean solution on the bigma after water drops got on the front lens.

It looked like new after cleaning. Its not cheap, but it works.

John,

Can you post any links to what you use?

Cheers.

j.baker
20th April 2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.visibledust.com/products_4a.php?pid=304

I got mine from 7dayshop.

I use hama lens tissues/paper

Hiding_Pup
20th April 2008, 09:15 PM
Thought this might be of help:

"Why do LensPen and MiniPro leave a residue on my lenses after I clean them?

Excess cleaning compound might be left on the lens after cleaning. If this occurs, pat the tip on a clean chamois or a clean soft cloth to remove the excess compound from the cleaning tip. Pressurized air or a "blower brush" will also work to blow off any excess compound on the lens."

From Lenspen.com

Wreckdiver
20th April 2008, 11:08 PM
Pec Pads: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1001963

and

Eclipse cleaner: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1001956

One drop in the centre of the lens and a very gentle wipe around with a pad.

Evaporates in a second and leaves a perfectly clean lens without any residue.

Steve

David M
20th April 2008, 11:20 PM
I never use anything except a brush and microfiber cloth.

Ian C.

Same here although in the past I have been known to use the cleanest part of my T-shirt in an emergency.

The excuse 'I was cleaning my lens' is not one an editor/client wants to hear.

knikki
21st April 2008, 10:56 AM
Bit of spit and polish on a soft cloth. :)

Wreckdiver
21st April 2008, 11:03 AM
Bit of spit and polish on a soft cloth. :)

A traditionalist and die-hard to the end eh? ;)

Steve

DerekW
21st April 2008, 11:12 AM
Dirty lens or a full ash tray in the car are nature's warning that it is time to buy a new lens or car. <g>

Scapula Memory
21st April 2008, 11:21 AM
Wire brush and Dettol !! :D:D I must admit I have pro 1 clear filters on my lenses and the lens pen does a great job. I personally would not want to touch the front element if at all possible.

andym
21st April 2008, 11:24 AM
Wire brush and Dettol !! :D:D I must admit I have pro 1 clear filters on my lenses and the lens pen does a great job. I personally would not want to touch the front element if at all possible.

The problem is my new lens takes an 86mm filter.I use Hoya Pro1 Shmc on my other lenses but dont think Hoya go above 82mm.I'll have to wait till after pay day to get a decent 86mm filter.In the mean time guess I'll stick the the end of an old T shirt.

j.baker
21st April 2008, 01:03 PM
same here andy. the bigma is a big bit of glass. it also shows any dirt.