PDA

View Full Version : e5 RAW and Fuji P3000 storage & viewer

quickben
20th July 2011, 04:47 PM
I am getting myself organised for the South African trip next month and thought I should see how my P3000 viewer would cope with the E5's RAW files. I checked for any relevant firmware upgrades (I have version 1.32 installed) and did not find any for new models so with some trepidation copied over some RAW files from CF and SD cards and found that they all could be previewed quite happily so I now have a backup solution albeit at just 40Gb.

I now have to determine whether I will need a further device if we encounter a lot of good material in the 3 weeks we are away, as we have the Western Cape flowers and 5 days of game drives in Phinda and Sabi Sands....

There is also an upgrade to 1.33 firmware available which I have installed with no issues. Hope that is of use to someone

Ian
20th July 2011, 10:29 PM
P3000? Do you mean Epson rather than Fuji? :)

The preview is more than likely to be of a low res JPEG embedded in the RAW file.

Ian

quickben
21st July 2011, 05:40 AM
Doh! I did - brain scrambled. It is Epson.

My experience with the display of Olympus RAW files previously was that it had no ability to decode these images with newer model releases. A similar experience with codecs for display in Windows Explorer. That it displays the E5 ORF files off the bat is great as previewing the material is easier with a 4" screen and zoom in maintains the quality as much as I need until I get back to Lightroom.

So, it is possibly not an embedded JPG but an image that the device is rendering but I do not know level of resolution

Ian
21st July 2011, 07:26 AM
Doh! I did - brain scrambled. It is Epson.

My experience with the display of Olympus RAW files previously was that it had no ability to decode these images with newer model releases. A similar experience with codecs for display in Windows Explorer. That it displays the E5 ORF files off the bat is great as previewing the material is easier with a 4" screen and zoom in maintains the quality as much as I need until I get back to Lightroom.

So, it is possibly not an embedded JPG but an image that the device is rendering but I do not know level of resolution

It's an embedded JPEG :)

Epson, as you point out, has not released updates for the P-series storage viewers for ages, certainly not since the E-5 came out.

Ian