PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy the Bigma if you have the 300mm 2.8?

Cathrine Stephansen
19th July 2011, 05:43 PM
There seems to be a Bigma for sale, and I'm wondering whether I should get one while I can...

I would like the extra reach, but am not expecting the quality of the 300 of course!

Would you buy it? I also have the 50-200 SWD, so I'm only really looking for the 300-500mm bit!

theMusicMan
19th July 2011, 05:48 PM
NO!

I'd use the EC20 and have a 600mm f4!!

David Morison
19th July 2011, 06:07 PM
I used to own a Bigma but because I was only using it at 500mm and because of my long held opinion that prime lenses are superior to long zooms (especially 10x) I decided to change to a 300. The Bigma gave me a lot of pleasure and was obviously lighter and more portable than the 300. However it is a lot slower and the focus was more hit and miss and slow compared to the 300. The step-up in the number of keepers and IQ was worth the change and expense. I did try it for a while with the EC20 but I found it offered no advantage and cost quite a lot in contrast. The EC14 works beautifully and I use it most of the time for birds - 420mm at f4 against 500mm at f6.3 with better IQ is a set-up I am very much happier with.

If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket and you want an extra piece of gear to have to make a choice of whether to use or not then go ahead, but I wouldn't be tempted.

David

Cathrine Stephansen
19th July 2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys, good assertive answers!

No, I don't have money burning in my pockets, I just bought my daughter a pre-owned E620 with two kit lenses :D

I often use the EC14 on the 300 mm. And with all the boat photography I do, hitting the birds with a 300 is difficult enough with the waves. I'll leave the Bigma for someone else to enjoy. I already need a larger camera bag with the new Sigma 105 macro...

wanderer
19th July 2011, 09:58 PM
I just bought my daughter a pre-owned E620 with two kit lenses

I expect to see some of her results here shortly. Just to worry us and yourself.:D

I already need a larger camera bag with the new Sigma 105 macro...

Me too with the new toys.:rolleyes: Or a porter or a lovely assistant built like a brick ****house to carry it.

Greytop
19th July 2011, 10:14 PM
NO!

That suggestions gets my vote *chr

David M
19th July 2011, 10:21 PM
NO!

Actually a 600mm f5.6

Cathrine Stephansen
19th July 2011, 10:50 PM
I expect to see some of her results here shortly. Just to worry us and yourself.:D

Me too with the new toys.:rolleyes: Or a porter or a lovely assistant built like a brick ****house to carry it.

That'd be a good idea. My hobby isn't as space consuming as my husband's, though. He goes kayaking, and I tease him that he collects kayaks, I can't get my car into the garage any more :D

wanderer
19th July 2011, 10:57 PM
I can't get my car into the garage any more

The last thing you put in a garage is a car.:D

Cathrine Stephansen
19th July 2011, 11:20 PM
Quite true! And there's more fun to be had with with lenses and kayaks.

zuiko-holic
20th July 2011, 06:45 AM
I would definitely prefer the Zuiko 300mm f/2.8.

The Bigma hasn't yet convinced me. None Sigma lens has. Especially for 4/3.

I've come to the conclusion that it's better to have better IQ in shorter focal lenghts than a higher focal length just for the sake of it.

I'm not saying that Bigma is not a good lens. But it is not a Zuiko.

An EC-14 or an EC-20 is a wiser investment IMO.

ozzie
20th July 2011, 06:52 AM
I can not see a reason I would spend so much money on a lens such as the 300 but it is obviously a fantastic lens, so my Bigma will have to do for my long range shots . I do enjoy using the lens tho and have been lucky and got some keepers with it.
Cheers
John

Melaka
20th July 2011, 08:35 AM
I have a Bigma but effectively it has been replaced by the 300mm and more recently the 90-250mm. I haven't used the Bigma for nearly a year but am hanging on to it just in case. As PeterD has demonstrated it can take very good photos and has the benefit of being lighter than the Oly Top Pro lenses. If you can't afford a Top Pro lens the Bigma is a good buy but you don't really need both.

Tordan58
20th July 2011, 09:08 AM
Hi Cathrine,

Since you are lucky owner of prime lenses I guess that you would in retrospective look at the Sigma as a downgrade from IQ point of view. Not that the Sigma is a bad lens, it is considered a very good lens, not as good as Zuiko primes though.
It has two main advantages as I see it.
- Size/Long zoom range - one lens fits all. Test I have read indicates it is at sharpest in the 300-400 mm range.
- Weight
I guess the Bigma would be best choice for travel where you have to comply to weight/size limits for hand luggage.

I read you do bird photography from a (rocking) boat which is a challenge in itself, and I guess that shutter speed and fast AF is of high priority. Someone mentioned the EC20. Bear in mind the -2EV loss. I have an EC20 myself that I sometimes use with the 50-200. It works fine up to ~150 mm, after which the AF is prone to start hunting. On static subjects and from a static platform the EC20 works fine, though. (AF hunt may not be an issue with the 300 which has F2.8, though)

If you are in urge of spending money (~1100€ for a Bigma) may I suggest that you get a second camera body to have both lenses available for use, facing a wider range of situations, with the EC14 a nice optional companion:
50-200 + 300
70-280 + 300
50-200 + 420

Or accept the need to change lenses once in a while

Sorry for long post and slightly off-topic.

/Tord

andym
20th July 2011, 09:23 AM
Well for a lens that's less than a fifth of the price of the 300mm I think it's very good.

Example coupled with the EC14 to make 708mm.

Redwing
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Redwing.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21319)

But you do need good light.

ozzie
20th July 2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks andym
You have just given me the motivation to keep experimenting with the Bigma thats a great shot
John