PDA

View Full Version : Want to analyse your lens usage?

Chillimonster
18th April 2008, 07:36 AM
Found a link to this freeware app on another forum in a thread about lens usage.

The program analyses the EXIF data on a set of pictures and displays the results in nice easy to read graphs.

It may be helpful to people that want to know if it worth buying or selling a particular lens.

http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html

Chris

j.baker
18th April 2008, 08:15 AM
I am just backing up my 50GB of images.

I will see what the program can do.

I will post an update back here later on.

DTD
18th April 2008, 12:11 PM
One thing I notice about lens useage is how often I set a zoom on a figure very close to prime lens focal lengths.

Steve Lane
18th April 2008, 02:27 PM
This is cool! I have just run it on a backup bunch of jpegs. I am particularly interested in the F stop info. From the folders analysed, it is interesting to note the majority of pictures were taken with the 11-22mm lens at F8. This is pretty much what I hoped for as most of the images were landscape types.

A seperate folder I ran it against when I used only my 50mm F2 shows that stacks were taken at F2 - which confirms one of my reasons for purchasing this lens - beatiful bokeh!

Cheers
Steve

Graham_of_Rainham
18th April 2008, 03:25 PM
That's typical. It seems I take the vast majority of my pictures at 26mm (52mm in old money) Now I'm going to have to buy the 25mm pancake:(

j.baker
18th April 2008, 03:29 PM
I rann it ony m 50GB of images. It tool about 10 mins to scan them all.

A lot of my old photos did not contain and EXIF info. This messed up my results a bit.

Not a bad program, it just need to be able to export the data.

shenstone
18th April 2008, 05:05 PM
I rann it ony m 50GB of images. It tool about 10 mins to scan them all.

A lot of my old photos did not contain and EXIF info. This messed up my results a bit.

Not a bad program, it just need to be able to export the data.

Took about 5mins to analyse about 80Mb of JPG's so speed obviouslt depends on processor power or disk speed or something

I find I use my 11-22 wide open a lot and tend to lower ISO's

All the rest shows a good spread of usage though

Not sure I'd ever be bothered about an export as it's just a bit of fun

Regards
Andy

j.baker
18th April 2008, 05:06 PM
Took about 5mins to analyse about 80Mb of JPG's so speed obviouslt depends on processor power or disk speed or something

Quad core, 4GB Vista 64bit :D

shenstone
18th April 2008, 05:33 PM
Quad core, 4GB Vista 64bit :D

Ah... that will be what's slowing your PC down :rolleyes:

Regards
Andy

j.baker
18th April 2008, 05:34 PM
True, True.

akwaaba
7th May 2008, 07:11 PM
That is a nice little utility. Another tool to justify buying more glass ...