PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM

Adagio
11th July 2011, 03:43 PM
Would be glad to hear from any forum member with experience or thoughts on this lens.

DekHog
11th July 2011, 03:55 PM
I had one and really liked it, although found it a bit of an odd focal length - not really long enough for portraits, but not really short enough for anything else specific. I had no focus issues, and even at F1.4 it gave very good results. Nice and compact and a decent price as well.

zuiko-holic
11th July 2011, 05:53 PM
Avoid.

I tested it on my E-620 at Photovision 2011 in Athens.

Unusable for my standards until f/2.8 and even then, not particularly sharp.

Somewhat hard to find a copy with no front/back focus issues. Probably "fixable" on an E-620 or E-30 that provide "AF adjustment".

Even though Olympus with its crop factor of 2x cuts off the edges, resolution was mediocre, at best, at the edges.

30mm is odd for Olympus, 60mm is pretty unuseful. I'd rather but a cheap 25mm f/2.8 which is sharp wide open or save up for a Zuiko 50mm f/2. Both far better choices IMO.

DekHog
11th July 2011, 08:03 PM
You must have been one of the people with a copy where the QC 'slipped' (again!).

Many 4/3 users have had this lens and been delighted with it.... I can't believe I'm the only one!

Anything that fits 4/3 and states F1.x has to be worth a try.... the real problem with these lenses is that they aren't optically designed for 4/3, but for APS-C sensors, so the quality is normally down a bit on what the they actually can achieve....