PDA

View Full Version : Signatures on photos or watermarks?

Cathrine Stephansen
10th July 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm going through all my Zenfolio-images and updating with larger resolution. At the same time, I've upgraded my account, and am applying watermarks to all photos. I am assuming that if someone should buy an image, the watermark doesn't stay, but a signature on the photo as part of the JPEG will.

My question is: What do you do when selling photos from your own website? Do you keep a small, discrete signature or sell photos without? I suppose that signatures would limit some uses, but for printing, I'm used to artwork and framed photos being signed by the artist or photographer.

Ian
11th July 2011, 07:48 AM
I don't think any marking of the image would really be acceptable to a buyer. But embedding of details in the file metadata is fine.

Ian

Cathrine Stephansen
11th July 2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks Ian. I'm not really expecting any sales, as I'm not very good, but I want to make certain they're not used commercially without my knowing. I suppose the market is over-saturated with images available from microstock etc., and I take them for my own enjoyment, and not with sales in mind. But there seems to be a growing belief that if an image is available on the internet it can be used free of charge and without crediting.

I take photos as part of projects related to my work with environmental sensitivities and oil spills, and those photos are geo-referenced and placed in e.g. Google Earth or similar GIS solutions as small JPGs with keywords and copyright in the metadata. They are also marked on the image with a copyright and name and company in small writing in the corner. But that's mainly to avoid our competitors from using the images and also for marketing reasons :)

Selling images from my private gallery on Zenfolio would be different, thanks for the clarification. I'm going to use the option that I have to approve all sales so I can control what they are used for and that they're not printed any larger than the resolution allows. Which means I wish they had a post card option :D

David M
11th July 2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks Ian. I'm not really expecting any sales, as I'm not very good, but I want to make certain they're not used commercially without my knowing. I suppose the market is over-saturated with images available from microstock etc., and I take them for my own enjoyment, and not with sales in mind. But there seems to be a growing belief that if an image is available on the internet it can be used free of charge and without crediting.

I take photos as part of projects related to my work with environmental sensitivities and oil spills, and those photos are geo-referenced and placed in e.g. Google Earth or similar GIS solutions as small JPGs with keywords and copyright in the metadata. They are also marked on the image with a copyright and name and company in small writing in the corner. But that's mainly to avoid our competitors from using the images and also for marketing reasons :)

Selling images from my private gallery on Zenfolio would be different, thanks for the clarification. I'm going to use the option that I have to approve all sales so I can control what they are used for and that they're not printed any larger than the resolution allows. Which means I wish they had a post card option :D

Everything I post online is watermarked and less than 1,000 pixels on the long side. If someone wants to use a shot I supply a version without a watermark.

Nick Temple-Fry
11th July 2011, 11:28 PM
There is also Digimarc

http://www.digimarc.com/tech/dwm.asp.

I've no experience of this product.

Nick

Ian
12th July 2011, 08:52 AM
Digimarc looks interesting, but I wonder if it would work after the data header was deleted and the image was re-sized?

Ian

Melaka
12th July 2011, 09:04 AM
there seems to be a growing belief that if an image is available on the internet it can be used free of charge and without crediting.

That's what a sailmaker thought when they used a few photos taken by the joint owner of my boat. It cost the sailmaker a new suit of sails for our boat worth over 2,000.

Cathrine Stephansen
12th July 2011, 10:15 AM
That's what a sailmaker thought when they used a few photos taken by the joint owner of my boat. It cost the sailmaker a new suit of sails for our boat worth over 2,000.

Good for you!

I also have some photos taken at Uluru, which I have a licence from the National park there for showing on the gallery, and publishing in my book, but my licence doesn't apply to other sales. Uluru is sacred to the Anangu people, so any commercial use needs special licencing. My licence applies to the gallery and the book, but out of respect for the Anangu I won't make thos specific ones available for sale. The same applies to those taken on the Navajo reservation in May. My licence applies to the gallery and the blog, and I'm going to have to check whether they can be sold. (Monument valley and Antelope Canyon).

CallaWolf
12th July 2011, 10:21 AM
...as I'm not very good...

Interesting discussion...but I do object to the above statement. I think your work is VERY good

Nick Temple-Fry
12th July 2011, 11:02 AM
Digimarc looks interesting, but I wonder if it would work after the data header was deleted and the image was re-sized?

Ian

Well they say

A Digimarc digital watermark is a special message embedded in your photo by making subtle changes to its digital data. The changes to the image are so subtle that the digital watermark is imperceptible, without impacting the aesthetic integrity of your work. Plus, it's embedded in a way that ensures it remains through file manipulations such as resizing and cropping.

As I said I've no experience of the product.

Nick

Cathrine Stephansen
14th July 2011, 10:45 PM
Well they say

A Digimarc digital watermark is a special message embedded in your photo by making subtle changes to its digital data. The changes to the image are so subtle that the digital watermark is imperceptible, without impacting the aesthetic integrity of your work. Plus, it's embedded in a way that ensures it remains through file manipulations such as resizing and cropping.

As I said I've no experience of the product.

Nick

Sounds very interesting and worth looking into. At the moment I've uploaded my logo to Zenfolio and am using it as a water mark. It comes out a little too big, though. Especially on cropped images.