PDA

View Full Version : Monday 1st August Hayling Oysterbeds

Chevvyf1
10th July 2011, 12:20 PM
Peter D had agreed to show a few of us around the Oysterbeds at Hayling Island. In the early part of August as the Tern will still be around gathering into migratory flocks. Last year, the Common and Little Tern used the islands as a post breeding roost. Breeding pairs of Sandwich Tern have also joined them on the islands so it should be very interesting to see. It is also the time when the birds from the north start to return to the harbour which will be their winter quarters. Passage birds should also be present. All-in-all a great opportunity

Some will be up for Sunsets ... if the sun obliges.

Peter is letting us know what time we are to meet and start (depends on the tide).

Some friends from another 4M are meeting on Sunday lunch time @Chichester Festival Theatre - for some street & urban togging- as they are staying at Fishbourne Sunday night :D

Farlington Marshes is very worthwhile visiting too. The best time is about an hour before high tide as this is when the harbour birds arrive here and you get a greater concentration of numerous species.

gwpics
10th July 2011, 02:09 PM
See my post above re the Clipper race if you want to make a weekend of it.

Gerry

PeterD
11th July 2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you Chevvy for starting this post*chr.

To give a little more detail to the day out -

Opportunities (to name a few) for the following:

* Landscapes from the top of Portsdown Hill.
* Macro of the numerous chalk down insects and invertebrates on Portchester Common.
* Landscape shots along the coastline.
* Birds on Portsdown, Farlington Marshes and the Oysterbeds.
* Sunrise or sunset from Hayling Island (depending on interest).

If you are interested in joining us, please let us know on this thread. Could you please indicate your preferences or suggestions.

Thank you

Melaka
11th July 2011, 08:05 PM
Sadly we shall be in France. I had a day out with PeterD earlier this year and can thoroughly recommend the oysterbeds. Peter is highly knowledgeable and excellent company as well as being a seriously good photographer.

Chevvyf1
11th July 2011, 08:26 PM
David Thank You - yes he is a pretty good chap with his Olys !

Chevvyf1
27th July 2011, 08:30 AM
Peter Nick and I are bringing an armchair for you (pop up but very comfy for lunch rest!
We are Chevvy + Nick + Zahra; Dave+Lexie; Barry+Norma; Jane+Neil so 10 total !

Lunch is Speghetti Bolognese (garlic; mushrooms; Tarragon; beef steak; tomatoes; red onions) + Pasta; with Garlic Bread all piping hot ... slurp

Nick & I have share of a Beach Hut 50 meters from the Inn on the Beach at Hayling Seafront, we could eat there (and have some beach hut/sea maybe sailing togging?)

I now shall update the other 4m thread!

PeterD
28th July 2011, 08:30 AM
Peter Nick and I are bringing an armchair for you (pop up but very comfy for lunch rest!
We are Chevvy + Nick + Zahra; Dave+Lexie; Barry+Norma; Jane+Neil so 10 total !

Lunch is Speghetti Bolognese (garlic; mushrooms; Tarragon; beef steak; tomatoes; red onions) + Pasta; with Garlic Bread all piping hot ... slurp

Nick & I have share of a Beach Hut 50 meters from the Inn on the Beach at Hayling Seafront, we could eat there (and have some beach hut/sea maybe sailing togging?)

I now shall update the other 4m thread!

Hi Chevvy,

I have had a MAJOR computer crash which I am sorting out. All my images are safe thanks to having the forsight to back everything up.

I have to re-build my system from the ground up and have just now got the e-mail working again.

Monday is on and I shall post more details later. Lunch sounds very good - can't wait*chr.

Sorry my reply is a bit short but I have lots to do to try and recover from the disaster.

Chevvyf1
28th July 2011, 08:42 AM
Oh! Dear ! sorry to hear about your PC Peter ! :eek:just the job you dont need to do right now ! Glad your photos are safe ! *chr

Chevvyf1
28th July 2011, 08:45 AM
Hayling Tides + sunrise/sunset for Monday 1st August
Mon 1/08/11
TIME HEIGHT (m) 06:17:50 L +0.60 13:10:16 H +4.78 18:38:16 L +0.79
Sunrise 05:30 / Sunset 20:49