PDA

View Full Version : PEN Lenses Question

pandora
9th July 2011, 07:50 PM
Given a Lens Mount Adapter, is there an IQ difference when using SWD lenses instead of m43 lenses on a PEN?

Example: E-PL1 + Zuiko F2.8 12-60mm SWD + IS1 @ Landscape mode @ 1/200 @ f/7.1 @ ISO200
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/OlyE3/P7070048EM.jpg
Wikipedia: Edward "Ned" Kelly (June 1854/June 1855 – 11 November 1880) was an Irish-Australian bushranger,
considered by some merely a cold-blooded killer, while by others a folk hero and symbol of Irish-Australian resistance
against oppression by the British ruling class for his defiance of the colonial authorities.

Kelly was born in Victoria to an Irish convict father, and as a young man he clashed with the Victoria Police.
Following an incident at his home in 1878, police parties searched for him in the bush.
After he killed three policemen, the colony proclaimed Kelly and his gang wanted outlaws.

A final violent confrontation with police took place at Glenrowan on 28 June 1880.
Kelly, dressed in home-made plate metal armour and helmet, was captured and sent to jail.
He was hanged for murder at Old Melbourne Gaol in November 1880.
His daring and notoriety made him an iconic figure in Australian history, folklore, literature, art and film.

Who's_E
9th July 2011, 08:26 PM
Not due to the adaptor, the adaptor is a hole. Any difference will be down to the 14-42mm on the Pen being about 1/5th of the price of the 12-60mm.

How do you find the SWD on the Pen? I have both but they are unmarried so I am keen to find other opinions, especially regarding AF.

Nick

pandora
9th July 2011, 08:44 PM
Nick - I bought the PEN as a body only deal so presently I have no m43 lenses.

I've shot a dozen frames only with the 12-60 SWD since it arrived 7 days ago and I am satisfied with the sharpness of those images. I have yet to try the 50-200 SWD with the PEN, possibly today.

My question is really about whether an m43 lens, for example the 14-42, would have produced an even crisper image.

David M
9th July 2011, 08:51 PM
Hey, it's a giant Mick Jagger!

Who's_E
9th July 2011, 08:59 PM
Mark,

Apologies, I misunderstood slightly.

I always chose my 12-60mm over my 4/3 14-42mm on the grounds of quality (and cost) and this article shows the m4/3 14-42mm to be slightly less sharp than the 4/3 version.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEP1/page22.asp

Hope that helps,

Nick

pandora
9th July 2011, 09:26 PM
Nick - thanks for the edifying link, my reading of it seems to indicate that 43 lenses produce sharper results than M.Zuiko lenses.

Would I be correct then in assuming that the only benefit of using an m43 lens is solely its compact size?

If the PL1 is close to the E-5's resolution, and given the interchangeability with my E-3 and possible future upgrade to an E-5, am I better off continuing to expand my SWD lens collection?

Who's_E
10th July 2011, 10:12 AM
Mark,

I can't answer that directly. Your signature says that you have 12-60, 50-200, 14-42 and 40-150 (mk2?) and I think that is a great set of lenses because it is almost exactly the same as what I have and works for all scenarios.

It depends on what you want to do. m4/3 is the lightweight option but if you don't mind carrying a bit extra then why not stick with 4/3 to keep the compatibility?

From your selection you could go wider (a 7-14mm is available in both mounts), you could go longer (300mm is probably better camera-shake-wise on a 4/3 body), you could go prime (panasonic 20mm looks great from the reviews), you could dabble in old lenses (my Nikon 100mm f2.8 E is awesomely sharp and fits both mounts with an adaptor). Do you have a teleconverter? The EC14 on the 50-200 is a brilliant combination.

There are so many options that I can't help, really. Sorry, there are just so many options.

Nick

pandora
10th July 2011, 11:30 AM
Nick - firstly my 40-150 is not a mk2, it came as an E-520 kit lens with the 14-42 and after adding two SWDs to my bag I've not used either.

I took the PEN out today, this time with the 50-200 SWD to look for some early wildflowers. Clearly the PEN's IQ is closer to an E-5 than an E-3. I am quite staggered with the colours and clarity of the pictures.

So if I'm going to use 43 lenses only with the PEN I'm asking myself the very question you pose, what do I want to do with it and why did I buy it. I bought it as a body only, refurbished by Olympus from B&H NY on impulse because of the price, I could see that by spending a little more on a lens mount adaptor I would already have 4 compatible lenses and a 12 megapixel camera with extremely good reviews. I have been somewhat disappointed in the E-3's IQ, only marginally better than an E-520 but with some redeeming features.

An EC14 will extend the reach of the 50-200 but am tempted to buy another 70-300 as I loved what that lens did before it broke down, and presently the price is about half what I originally paid.

The PEN was delivered to my door just one week ago but I've had little time to play with it and shot less than 50 frames. At some time I will buy an m43 lens for compactness, possibly the 14-42, a camera to carry when not specifically out shooting but already I am given to understand that 43 lenses on an m43 body deliver a higher IQ than the more compact lenses that are designed for it.

Ulfric M Douglas
10th July 2011, 01:25 PM
Please note that SWD means "super wave drive", the lens quality is described by Olympus as "High Grade".
Since most m4/3rds lenses and all their kit zooms are Standard Grade you should find an improvement in image quality, nothing at all to do with the letters SWD, although there aren't any Standard Grade & SWD lenses ... but there are plenty of non-SWD High Grade ones.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/index.html

pandora
10th July 2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks Ulfric, I know what SWD stands for. I used the designation to make clear that I am using 43 lenses with lens mount adaptor. The PEN is a new camera just 7 days old for me, I have shot less than 50 frames with it and am as yet unfamiliar with all the terminology of the format.

Greytop
10th July 2011, 03:59 PM
My question is really about whether an m43 lens, for example the 14-42, would have produced an even crisper image.

Quick answer Mark...:)
In my opinion currently there isn't any m4/3 glass that matches up to HG or SHG 4/3rds glass. That may be not always be down to sharpness but also includes other factors like CA and distortion. Having said that given their compactness (m4/3) they are pretty impressive performers. I would say the sharpest m4/3 lens I currently own is the Panny 20mm (f/1.7).

This is becoming not such a quick answer...

Just add with the latest 12mm and 45mm primes just released by Olympus we may be getting to a point where they will compete with 4/3 HG glass.

pandora
10th July 2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Huw - sorry, but this tired old brain is unfamiliar with the acronyms, HG or SHG and can't even hazard a guess.

HG according to web slang dictionary means Holy Grail with no other def's so I would be grateful if you would tell me what these letters stand for so that I can fully grasp your meaning.

If you know of a glossary of these new acronyms, that would be helpful too.

Greytop
10th July 2011, 08:57 PM
Sorry Mark,

HG = High Grade
SHG = Super High Grade

Have a look here (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_slr.asp?section=lens)

pandora
10th July 2011, 09:47 PM
Quick answer Mark...:)
In my opinion currently the there isn't any m4/3 glass that matches up to HG or SHG 4/3rds glass. That may be not always be down to sharpness but also includes other factors like CA and distortion. Having said that given their compactness (m4/3) they are pretty impressive performers. I would say the sharpest m4/3 lens I currently own is the Panny 20mm (f/1.7).

This is becoming not such a quick answer...

Just add with the latest 12mm and 45mm primes just released by Olympus we may be getting to a point where they will compete with 4/3 HG glass.
Ah ... of course, obvious enough when spelled out! Now back to your first thread.

That's what I was hoping to hear and what seemed to me most likely at this point in m43 development.

As aforementioned it is my intention to build my collection of 4/3rds HG or SHG glass with a future upgrade to E-5 in mind. Meanwhile I can get the best out of the PEN while new lenses for the format are evolving.

So much to learn, impatient, doesn't handle User Manuals well - that's yours truly. :rolleyes:

Thanks Huw. :)

Nick Temple-Fry
10th July 2011, 11:19 PM
As aforementioned it is my intention to build my collection of 4/3rds HG or SHG glass with a future upgrade to E-5 in mind. Meanwhile I can get the best out of the PEN while new lenses for the format are evolving.

Thanks Huw. :)

The ?? in the woodpile for that strategy, and something that is exercising me as well. Is the different characteristics of lenses defined for the PENs or for 4/3'rds.

The focussing strategy of the the PENs is based around light lens elements that can be repeatedly moved very quickly to find the maximum contrast. Traditional 4/3'rds lenses actually have heavier lens elements, but have phase (rather than contrast) detection focussing systems, this means the camera can 'see' which way the lens needs to move to achieve focus.

Now I use an E-PL1, it's great for landscape and people. But stick a long 4/3'rds lens on and you can hear the lens motor working as it attempts to find the contrast. It'll get there but you know you are waiting in a way you wouldn't with an E-3.

Now I haven't had a chance to see what the latest iteration of Pens can achieve with long SHG lenses, nor what Olympus has planned for owners of SHG lenses on 4/3'rds mounts. But for any any Olympus owner aiming to build up a collection of longer lenses a significant question mark still remains.

Nick

pandora
11th July 2011, 05:59 AM
Nick, I see your point, my strategy may well be flawed. I noticed yesterday how the 50-200 hunted to focus on wildflowers (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15835) as it sought contrast. The thought crossed my mind then that it was likely due to a heavier lens that the PEN was adapting to but not specifically designed for.

I bought the PEN largely on impulse from B&H NY but without really doing my homework. As the AUD is currently worth about 8% more than the Greenback I paid little more than beer money for an Olympus refurbished body with a 90 day warranty, so what did I have to lose said I.

From all I've read I do believe that Olympus is committed to the m43 concept as the way forward - from what I can see of the startling IQ of the PL1 (even in my first few frames) it isn't rocket science to see that the future trend will be to smaller, smarter cameras just as it was with the automobile and the cellphone.