PDA

View Full Version : Berkshire alive and well!

Scapula Memory
27th November 2007, 09:48 PM
Hello all,

Excellent to see a dedicated Olympus forum. Hope it goes well. E1 user with a 14-54 welded on, the best camera I ever handled, had it nearly a year and still learning. Will certainly look in here often.

Regards to all,

John

alert_bri
27th November 2007, 10:16 PM
Hi John,

yes, the Internet is a wonderful way for us to find each other... even if we are spread thinly across the nation!

It's amazing how much more rewarding it is to speak with people you've met in real life though, which is why I'm keen to get together with other Oly shooters at every opportunity!

The E-1 + 14-54 is an incredible package... you have to use it to feel the magic.

Kind Regards

Brian

theMusicMan
27th November 2007, 10:53 PM
Welcome John... it looks as though this forum - expertly managed by Ian - is catching on very quickly. We've more than 200 members now and still growing.

emirpprime
27th November 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi and welcome John.
The E1 and 14-54 was my favourite combo too, very versatile :)
Look forward to seeing you around,
Phil

ps - when we think we know it all and can stop learning, it just means we're missing something

Ian
27th November 2007, 11:39 PM
Hello all,

Excellent to see a dedicated Olympus forum. Hope it goes well. E1 user with a 14-54 welded on, the best camera I ever handled, had it nearly a year and still learning. Will certainly look in here often.

Regards to all,

John

Welcome John!

The site is rather saturated with enthusiastuic (mainly!) E-3 chat, understandably, at the moment, but we mustn't forget the other parts of the system!

Ian

Scapula Memory
28th November 2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yes Ian I can understand why the E3 is such a big draw, for me though getting one right now would not make me a better photographer. It amazes me why people think a camera that is 2 or 3 years old is dead in the water. I was reading DC magazine yesterday that referred to the Nikon D80 as long in the tooth!

Technology certainly moves fast.

regards

John.

alert_bri
28th November 2007, 09:24 AM
Hi John,

there's a lot to be said for 'lagging edge wisdom'... some of my best camera purchases have been just before the end of line. imho, there's never been a better time to pick up an E-330 (tesco direct have them still I think) or an E-1 + 14-54mm s/h bargain! (my E-1 kit was £320 and had <1000 actuations!)

I managed to get one of the very last Sony R1's in a Jessops looney sale... haven't used it nearly enough, and now I think it's really been superseded (for my needs) by the E-3.

While the E-3 is incredibly flexible, every other camera in the Olympus DSLR range has its' unique qualities... and of course they all take 4/3rds lenses, and that's where the *real* magic resides!

Kind Regards

Brian

Scapula Memory
28th November 2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Brian,

I did exactly the same as you. Waited for the E1 the camera I wanted to approach the end of its production run and watched the Warehouse Express site every day. Got it with the 14-45 brand new for 399.

Totally agree about the lenses. When I got the 14-54 the difference was amazing from the 14-42. Build quality being one thing but being faster with better optics has certainly started to make a difference.

I nearly went for a 330 and also eyed up a 410 recently. Thing is with the E1 the controls fall right where my fingertips go, its a tough act to follow for ergonomics!

best regards

John

biggles3
28th November 2007, 09:33 PM
:) Hi everyone,
I have loved and continue to love every minute with my E-1, 14-54, 50-200 and the teleconvertor. I always use the HLD-2 with it and can't speak highly enough of the FL-50 and its Power Grip. I use some of my Contax exotica - Zeiss 55 1.2, 85 1.2, 135 f2 on the E-1 - giving me a 110 1.2!!, 170 1.2!!!! and a 270 f2. I bought my E-1 from Photo-Optix in Windsor in 2003 (after the E-10 and E-20) and have never looked back. I've persuaded some friends to buy a 410 and 510 - all great kit.
I can't wait to get my hands on the E-3 (need to sell some gear to afford it) even though I know the sensible thing is to wait six months or so for the price to drop but.... Even so, my E-1 is in still mint condition despite a few thousand actuations in extreme conditions - so I'm keeping it as a back-up to the E-3. What a combo!
The one thing that's missing from Olympus - a bellows unit for real macro work. I get round it by using one of my Contax swing and tilt bellows via a Cameraquest adapter with a Zeiss lens on the end. Bang a magnifier on the E-1 to help focus and you're away! Great fun....
Delighted to have this Forum.

Scapula Memory
28th November 2007, 11:49 PM
Hi biggles3,

Excellent to hear from fellow E1 users, you certainly have an interesting array of options with the contax gear. Funny you should mention Windsor that is just up the road from me, it is on my list for a day out with the E1 and often think about the best way to tackle the castle. Actually I have to own up to going there already with the E1 but it was a family picnic on the long walk and my wine intake on the day was quite high because my wife was driving!

Just out of interest when you added the HLD-2 to your E1 did you notice any difference to the AF? When I got mine it seemed the AF was slightly faster though nothing is documented in the Olympus instructions regarding this.

best regards

John

Ian
29th November 2007, 12:06 AM
Hi biggles3,

Excellent to hear from fellow E1 users, you certainly have an interesting array of options with the contax gear. Funny you should mention Windsor that is just up the road from me, it is on my list for a day out with the E1 and often think about the best way to tackle the castle. Actually I have to own up to going there already with the E1 but it was a family picnic on the long walk and my wine intake on the day was quite high because my wife was driving!

Just out of interest when you added the HLD-2 to your E1 did you notice any difference to the AF? When I got mine it seemed the AF was slightly faster though nothing is documented in the Olympus instructions regarding this.

best regards

John

It may not be documented, but I was told at the E-1 launch seminar four years ago that it would focus faster with the power grip and - indeed it does :)

Ian

biggles3
29th November 2007, 12:20 AM
Hi John,

As I've only ever used the E-1 with the HLD-2, so I couldn't comment but Ian seems to confirm your experience. Can't wait to see the speed of focus with the E-3. I have to confess that I've always been a bit of a luddite and have preferred to focus manually. It was buying a Contax AX a couple of years back that changed me - cleverest design ever in a 35mm SLR. Because all the Zeiss lenses were manual focus, autofocus was achieved by moving the film-plane back and forth - brilliant as it had the added benefit of giving every lens a macro capability. Expensive to make though (as was all Contax gear!).

I've often had AF problems with the E-1 in low light (a common problem in most DSLRs) - I wonder how the E-3 performs? Part one of a hands-on review is in this week's British Journal of Photography by the way.

alert_bri
29th November 2007, 12:22 AM
If you can see it, the E-3 will focus on it! low light focusing with the 12-60mm SWD lens is fantastic.

Kind Regards

Brian

Ian
29th November 2007, 12:24 AM
Hi John,

As I've only ever used the E-1 with the HLD-2, so I couldn't comment but Ian seems to confirm your experience. Can't wait to see the speed of focus with the E-3. I have to confess that I've always been a bit of a luddite and have preferred to focus manually. It was buying a Contax AX a couple of years back that changed me - cleverest design ever in a 35mm SLR. Because all the Zeiss lenses were manual focus, autofocus was achieved by moving the film-plane back and forth - brilliant as it had the added benefit of giving every lens a macro capability. Expensive to make though (as was all Contax gear!).

I've often had AF problems with the E-1 in low light (a common problem in most DSLRs) - I wonder how the E-3 performs? Part one of a hands-on review is in this week's British Journal of Photography by the way.

Anders Uschold's BJP review is quite positive so far.

I think manual focus is much improved with the new SWD lenses as you can feel closest focus and infinity through the focus ring. I have no problem with fly by wire apart from the inability to know which end of the focus range one was.

Low light AF is definitely improved.

Ian