PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone On Here . . .

Phaedrus
7th July 2011, 11:13 PM
Actually own a 90-250?

It'd take one of the bigger lotto wins for me to even consider it, but I wonder how many people actually own such an expensive lens. And what would they use it for? Wildlife stuff being published?

Mark

Zuiko
7th July 2011, 11:23 PM
Actually own a 90-250?

It'd take one of the bigger lotto wins for me to even consider it, but I wonder how many people actually own such an expensive lens. And what would they use it for? Wildlife stuff being published?

Mark

Woolfmix (Paul) did but he was selling. Don't know if he's sold it yet.

The great thing about Ian's lens hire service is it gives us the opportunity to use exotic lenses like this for a very reasonable charge. :)

Nick Temple-Fry
7th July 2011, 11:30 PM
I do.

Doorstop, birds (especially in winter), wildlife.

Probably less used than I initially hoped, but an excellent lens especially when you are hunting for light.

Nick

David M
7th July 2011, 11:42 PM
To short/not fast enough, take your pick. :D

Ian
8th July 2011, 12:44 AM
To short/not fast enough, take your pick. :D

I do tend to pick the 300 in preference to the 90-250 and then curse myself when I can't move back enough occasionally to frame a subject properly!

The 90-250 is a lovely performer, but I think its Achilles heel is its weight and bulk. But like all the top pro lenses you can trust it to work brilliantly - even wide open.

Ian

Bikie John
8th July 2011, 08:27 AM
I use it for sport - mainly rugby and cricket - sometimes even with the 1.4 converter. It is big and heavy though, so if light and distance permit I prefer the 50-200.

Ciao ... John

Zuiko
8th July 2011, 09:23 AM
I do.

Doorstop, birds (especially in winter), wildlife.

Probably less used than I initially hoped, but an excellent lens especially when you are hunting for light.

Nick

I forgot you had one, Nick, might be time to see a few more pics from it! :D

Zuiko
8th July 2011, 09:25 AM
I do tend to pick the 300 in preference to the 90-250
Ian

Oh, isn't it nice to be able to pick and choose! :p :D

Melaka
8th July 2011, 09:34 AM
Woofmix's 90-250 has found a new home here alongside the 300. I've lusted after the zoom ever since trying one at the Wooburn meet a few years back. The 300 was cosmetically damaged although optically sound but at the price I paid (less than for the 90-250) I couldn't let it pass by. The dilemma now is whether to take the 90-250 or the 300! Do I need the longer reach or the flexibility?

What with one thing and another I've only had the 90-250 out once, at WWT Barnes. There wasn't much around apart from numerous school parties but I did overhear the following

1st little girl "That must have been expensive."
2nd little girl "Sshh, don't talk about money."
1st little girl "It's quite cool though."

I suspect that by the end of this thread we'll find more people with the 300 than the 90-250. Maybe we ought to have a meet to show them all off.

David M
8th July 2011, 09:48 AM
I do tend to pick the 300 in preference to the 90-250

Ian

To short/not fast enough, take your pick. ;)