PDA

View Full Version : Some shots with the new Olympus m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8

Four Thirds User
6th July 2011, 10:30 AM
My first encounter with the Olympus m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 was super-impressive. See why in this article.

Update: Unfortunately, Olympus has asked that our sample pictures of the 45mm f/1.8 be taken down because a) the lens was pre-production and b) it was taken using a pre-production Pen Lite E-PL3 camera This is despite the excellent quality of the results we have enjoyed with our limited time with both camera and lens, and I'm sorry if this decision has inconvenienced you.

Ian
6th July 2011, 10:46 AM
Impressive isn't it?!

Ian

StephenL
6th July 2011, 11:03 AM
Good and sharp. How's the auto-focussing?

Ian
6th July 2011, 11:25 AM
Good and sharp. How's the auto-focussing?

Fast! :) Really!

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas
6th July 2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for posting a picture along with your link : I'm always amazed how many people don't do this simple thing ...

Looks good so far.

I see the new cameras limit ISO to 200, right? How's that for wide-open in brighter sunlight, as (even a false) ISO 100 allows for another stop before bouncing off the shutterspeed limit.

DekHog
6th July 2011, 02:37 PM
Probably as good as I've seen for any lens wide open. The detail of the hair at the front is amazing considering it's at F1.8 - beginning to look like a bit of a bargain! Is it mostly plastic, with the mount and front filter ring made of metal, Ian?

Ian
6th July 2011, 02:49 PM
Probably as good as I've seen for any lens wide open. The detail of the hair at the front is amazing considering it's at F1.8 - beginning to look like a bit of a bargain! Is it mostly plastic, with the mount and front filter ring made of metal, Ian?

It's difficult to distinguish the build quality from the 12mm to be honest - whatever it is, it's absolutely fine. There is no snap focus mechanism so that makes it simpler. The mount is not plastic. The hood is plastic and silver on the outside but, of course, matte black on the inside. I think both lenses have a 49mm filter thread (the 12mm definitely).

Ian

DekHog
7th September 2011, 08:32 PM
Dragging up an old thread here, but could Ian enquire if they have any plans to make this lens in black or is it to be (horrible!) silver only? :)

Not sure what's going on with all the silver only accessories at the moment... :confused:

Ian
7th September 2011, 08:49 PM
I'm only aware of silver options, but many recent lenses seem to end up in both silver and black.

Ian

DekHog
7th September 2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll just have to use it with my eyes closed in that case!

DekHog
7th September 2011, 09:17 PM
Actually, I've had a better idea.... I'll buy a silver E-PL2 body to put it on; looks great on the 4/3 matching simulation..... :D

Graham_of_Rainham
7th September 2011, 11:45 PM
I've always thought silver to be a better colour, as they don't get so hot on the rare days we get sun and they don't attract as much interest from "them" as they look less like a DSLR and more like a compact...

Zuiko
8th September 2011, 12:14 AM
If someone gave me one I wouldn't mind if it was Barbie pink! :D

gregles
8th September 2011, 12:16 AM
If someone gave me one I wouldn't mind if it was Barbie pink! :D

No thats just wrong John:eek::D:D

DekHog
8th September 2011, 12:23 AM
I just had a look around. I thought the E-PL2 bodies would have been plummeting in price by now.... how wrong can one person be? :(

Ian
8th September 2011, 08:57 AM
I just had a look around. I thought the E-PL2 bodies would have been plummeting in price by now.... how wrong can one person be? :(

I have a feeling that the E-PL2 is now discontinued and so you may find that most have been sold and so are unlikely to be discounted.

Ian

StephenL
15th September 2011, 05:01 PM
I was so impressed with these (now absent) and other sample pics that I've pre-ordered one from SRS.

DekHog
15th September 2011, 07:11 PM
I've pre-ordered one from SRS.

I hate you sometimes..... :rolleyes:

Zuiko
15th September 2011, 09:09 PM
I was so impressed with these (now absent) and other sample pics that I've pre-ordered one from SRS.

At least when it comes we'll be able to see some samples (Please!) :D

StephenL
16th September 2011, 06:43 AM
At least when it comes we'll be able to see some samples (Please!) :D

I'll just have to find something interesting to shoot with it (I'm getting bored with the trees on the estate!).

snaarman
16th September 2011, 07:59 AM
I'll just have to find something interesting to shoot with it (I'm getting bored with the trees on the estate!).

Hmm.

Nice backdrop. Portrait length lens.

Do you know any attractive young women?

Ah, erm, that came out all wrong didn't it...

StephenL
16th September 2011, 08:06 AM
Hmm.

Nice backdrop. Portrait length lens.

Do you know any attractive young women?

Ah, erm, that came out all wrong didn't it...

Attractive? No.

Young? No.

At least, none that would speak to me, let alone pose. :o

Umm... I could ask the foresters, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to post shots of mooning....