PDA

View Full Version : Whats your thoughts ?

ozzie
5th July 2011, 11:33 PM
Just finished going though my Bali photos picking my favoutites as usual then printing for display mostly in A3 or A3+ when I noticed that one of my A3+ prints was taken with my lx3 is IAUTO mode jpeg.
This got me thinking do we really need more than 12 mp if its from a quality camera? I have now convinced myself that a EP3 will be on my shopping list I love my E5 and E3 but a nice small and light camera with as good image quality and good AF will get just as much use.
What are your thoughts?
John

Phaedrus
6th July 2011, 01:08 AM
I've heard it said of really good musicians that they have a knack of making difficult peices seem easy. I seem to have the opposite knack - contorting my mouth and grunting while playing simple pieces.

I guess if a simple product can achieve comparable results to a complex product, and a simple product is what you prefer to use, then it makes more sense to use it.

Perhaps the modern photo newbie (a group to which I'm very much closer than experienced/enthusiast) is drawn to the complex DSLR? It gives the impression to the average Joe with his Argos compact (and perhaps even to the newbie himself) that he's a more serious photographer than most?

It could conversely be the case that seasoned & experienced photographers view the best modern compact digital cameras as plenty good enough for a majority of applications, perhaps even to the point of replacing, or at least taking a seat beside - rather than behind - the DSLR as the choice of the serious photographer?

Me? I like stuff than seems complex. I like working it out. The Gates Of Delirium by Yes, YYZ by Rush, the torque reaction on down-shifting a V-Twin, the rear wheels of a part-time 4WD sliding out on wet roundabouts...

A DSLR feels great to hold. It feels great to twist the barrel of a long lens, to hold the camera up to my eye, rather than squinting at the LCD screen.

I have a (sort of) waterproof Hitachi compact digital camera I got in Argos last year - wanna swap that for your E-5?

Mark

ozzie
6th July 2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the reply Mark
I know where you are coming from I to love to feel of the E5 with grip and 50-200 or 7-14 attached makes me feel like a real photographer :D
However what I was putting out there is the smaller cameras like the pen can produce very similar results without the heft and there is a place for such a camera for me. I tried the EP1 which I like but in the sunshine I couldnt see the LCD and the AF was a bit slow it looks like the EP3 with viewfinder could be what I am looking in a smaller kit and for what I print A3+ 12 mg seems fine.
Cheers John

Kiwi Paul
6th July 2011, 07:17 AM
I'm warming to MFT more and more, I don't have any MFT kit yet. I'm still not convinced the current range of MFT lenses match the IQ of the HG Zuiko lenses, but once they release lenses that convince me otherwise I will very seriously consider moving to MFT and ditching the bulky 4/3 gear.

I use to think I preferred the size and feel of the larger 4/3 gear but after using the MFT gear at a recent 4/3 gathering I'd be happy to use the MFT gear with the viewfinder.

Paul

ozzie
6th July 2011, 07:53 AM
I'm warming to MFT more and more, I don't have any MFT kit yet. I'm still not convinced the current range of MFT lenses match the IQ of the HG Zuiko lenses, but once they release lenses that convince me otherwise I will very seriously consider moving to MFT and ditching the bulky 4/3 gear.

I use to think I preferred the size and feel of the larger 4/3 gear but after using the MFT gear at a recent 4/3 gathering I'd be happy to use the MFT gear with the viewfinder.

Paul
Hi Paul
I agree MFT lenses are not in the same class but I am surprised how the four thirds lenses work on the Pen sure 50-200, and I would imagine the F2 SHG lenses would also not feel right however a grip that had two batteries and more heft to the side would go a long way to solve that problem.I have used my 50-500 sigma lens on the pen it looks out of place however on a tripod it works OK. I started this thread because I was surprised that an image from my LX3 on my last trip ended up in my best shots and it got me thinking about exactly what I need from my camera I am not a pro and don't have the pressure they have when taking images however there must be plenty of photographers like me around.
Again thanks for your thoughts
John

Ross the fiddler
6th July 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm warming to the idea of a PEN too with the latest models performance as there are times I prefer the smaller outfit where the larger outfit just attracts too much attention or just gets in the way.

Batman
6th July 2011, 02:09 PM
I haven't been around for a while due to other pressures. Just spotted this thread and find it interesting. I have an E-520, an E-30 and a Panasonic LX5, together with a range of FT lenses. The LX5 is a great little performer when you need to travel very light, and that is why I bought it. However, I really do have problems composing shots on the LCD screen in any conditions that are reasonably bright. Also, the camera is more difficult to hand hold steady without the reassurance of having a viewfinder up to the eye. For these reasons I much prefer to use one of the DSLR bodies when I can.

I'm sure all the mFT cameras have super 'performance', but unless they have an attached viewfinder, then surely they will give similar problems to the compacts.

Also, although mFT lenses are smaller than FT lenses, if you need a selection of lenses, then you need a camera bag, not as big as for the DSLRs though. My point is, don't the so called advantages of the mFT product range start to diminish if you are at all serious about photography and need/want a selection of kit?

One of the most experienced photographers in our club shoots with an up to date Fuji bridge camera. That's pretty compact, and doesn't have the disadvantage of needing to change lenses. I've moved from a 'bridge' camera to my E system cameras and do not intend to go back for many reasons that you will all understand.

Personally, I'm praying that Olympus do not send FT to the scrap heap. I would love an E-5 but can't justify it as an amateur. I just hope there is a future 'full sized' FT Olympus, if necessary with an EVF.

Am I missing something?

Ian
6th July 2011, 03:14 PM
Hi Paul
I agree MFT lenses are not in the same class but I am surprised how the four thirds lenses work on the Pen sure 50-200, and I would imagine the F2 SHG lenses would also not feel right however a grip that had two batteries and more heft to the side would go a long way to solve that problem.I have used my 50-500 sigma lens on the pen it looks out of place however on a tripod it works OK. I started this thread because I was surprised that an image from my LX3 on my last trip ended up in my best shots and it got me thinking about exactly what I need from my camera I am not a pro and don't have the pressure they have when taking images however there must be plenty of photographers like me around.
Again thanks for your thoughts
John

With bigger lenses I tend to hold the lens as much if not more than the camera body. I have no problem using a Pen with a 50-200, for example. But that's me.

As for 12MP, our recent poll confirms that 90% of us are content with 12MP.

Ian

Ian
6th July 2011, 03:19 PM
I haven't been around for a while due to other pressures. Just spotted this thread and find it interesting. I have an E-520, an E-30 and a Panasonic LX5, together with a range of FT lenses. The LX5 is a great little performer when you need to travel very light, and that is why I bought it. However, I really do have problems composing shots on the LCD screen in any conditions that are reasonably bright. Also, the camera is more difficult to hand hold steady without the reassurance of having a viewfinder up to the eye. For these reasons I much prefer to use one of the DSLR bodies when I can.

I'm sure all the mFT cameras have super 'performance', but unless they have an attached viewfinder, then surely they will give similar problems to the compacts.

Also, although mFT lenses are smaller than FT lenses, if you need a selection of lenses, then you need a camera bag, not as big as for the DSLRs though. My point is, don't the so called advantages of the mFT product range start to diminish if you are at all serious about photography and need/want a selection of kit?

One of the most experienced photographers in our club shoots with an up to date Fuji bridge camera. That's pretty compact, and doesn't have the disadvantage of needing to change lenses. I've moved from a 'bridge' camera to my E system cameras and do not intend to go back for many reasons that you will all understand.

Personally, I'm praying that Olympus do not send FT to the scrap heap. I would love an E-5 but can't justify it as an amateur. I just hope there is a future 'full sized' FT Olympus, if necessary with an EVF.

Am I missing something?

I would put some money on an updated E-620 - but nobody at Olympus has said anything concrete about that. But I feel the same way as I did when anticipating what would become the E-5. In the longer term I think Olympus has to be working on a Micro Four Thirds body that is around the size of an E-620 for those with bigger hands and lenses. I say Micro Four Thirds because it would be pointless designing a mirrorless body for Four Thirds only. If the body is mirrorless, there is no disadvantage to using an adapter compared to a Four Thirds-only body. The only issue that has been expressed is the cost of the adapter. Many of us already have adapters anyway, and some kind of scheme to supply adapters at a sensible price would be easy to do.

I have been told that Top Pro lens manufacturing has increased to meet additional demand since the E-5 came out and there could be a similar bonus for Olympus with a smaller and more affordable updated Four Thirds body. I'm just hoping!

Ian

Chevvyf1
6th July 2011, 04:02 PM
John, I ride Ducati motorbikes ! but I could buy a cheap Moped or even a scooter - it would get me from a-b; it would be much cheaper than a Duc :eek: in Fuel; Servicing and Insurance ! much lighter to handle and Great in traffic too !

BUT when I get to a nice bit of road, like the A272; A339 or out through the Savanake Forest to Marlborough for lunch, with bends left and right and hills up and down - across some of the most beautiful country on fab road surfaces ... I would not be able to drop it down a cog; open the throttle full with a big handful of fuel and get my knee down and :D:D:D lots ! arriving on such a high I dare not tell you, of a real life comparison :eek:

I do have a little compact or two or three - I take them out with the children on outings - but every time I do not take a BIG E-1 or E-5 and a few choice lenses I regret it and it incurrs as second trip and the moment is sometimes LOST for ever !

So my ADVICE is STICK with the REAL THING ! The bigger, more powerful the greater the choice and the more MAGIC MOMENTS in life *chr *yes *yes *yes

ozzie
6th July 2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks Ross,Dave,Ian and Chevvy
I have no intention of getting rid of my four thirds gear but I can see a EP3 with viewfinder being a great addition to my kit and one that will see a lot of use.
Chevvy lucky we are in different countries because you and I would very likely meet on that road that you described as it just the type of road I seek out for my old Corvette when I have the "need for speed".:D:D:D
Thanks everyone
John

DerekW
6th July 2011, 09:43 PM
Do not get too excited about the A272, it is also notorious for convoys of tractors, and cars pulling caravans on their way to the west country.

Floribunda
7th July 2011, 03:42 AM
I'm warming to the idea of a PEN too with the latest models performance as there are times I prefer the smaller outfit where the larger outfit just attracts too much attention or just gets in the way.

Nah Ross .... If you've got the gear - flaunt the gear! :D

Ross the fiddler
7th July 2011, 07:01 AM
Nah Ross .... If you've got the gear - flaunt the gear! :D

:eek: You're not changing the subject are you? ;) :D

When I got the E30 I was after something that felt more like a real camera & that's great but when I go & see my daughters off at the airport for their trips, I take the E520 twin lens outfit only & that does fine. I'll take my E30 for my Mums 90th birthday party so I can get better lower light pics (with the better & heavier lens). These PENs are looking more appealing as each model comes out.

*chr

Chevvyf1
7th July 2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks Ross,Dave,Ian and Chevvy
I have no intention of getting rid of my four thirds gear but I can see a EP3 with viewfinder being a great addition to my kit and one that will see a lot of use.
Chevvy lucky we are in different countries because you and I would very likely meet on that road that you described as it just the type of road I seek out for my old Corvette when I have the "need for speed".:D:D:D
Thanks everyone
John

Oooh! an Old Corvette ... photos please ? :D

Chevvyf1
7th July 2011, 07:27 AM
Do not get too excited about the A272, it is also notorious for convoys of tractors, and cars pulling caravans on their way to the west country.

Derek, it is the only road with a book about it ? still I believe :) BUT it is a leathel road. 1 in 4 motorcyclists killed are over 40 and passed their test many, many years ago - often they have had a a "break in riding a motorbike of over 20 years" usually when they got married and had children :cool:.

When they come back to motorbikes they are far more powerful in bhp per cc and other traffic is also much fast and less likely to see a motorbike at all "I NEVER SAW THE MOTOR BIKE" is the most comment first words of the box driver who killed or just knocked off a motorcyclist !

On a Sunday there will be about 4 police traffic cars patrolling the A 272 and 4 or 5 police motorcyclists and at least 1 police speed camera van :(

So the A 272 is best on Mondays (Fridays is sunny Londoners pop out for a bike ride ... now that is seriously dangerous as they get "red mist" and crash all on their own :(

BUT defensive riding tactics learned on an advanced motorcyclist course help preserve life ;) and make biking more fun *yes

DerekW
7th July 2011, 08:26 AM
and the book was written by a Dutchman, yeah I know about the lethality of the 272 lots of signs warning of the potential dangers.

Vic2r
3rd September 2011, 03:50 PM
I think you should be shooting with the best camera you have considering the circumstances / conditions of the photo session.

The other day I was hiking and had with me the e520 + Oly Tough. At the time I wanted to submerge the camera in the water to get the shot I wanted. Hands down my best camera for the shot was the Oly Tough.

The Pen undoubtedly is a superb camera - get it!! I am sure it will serve its purpose based on the circumstances / conditions of the photo session. *chr*chr

Chevvyf1
3rd September 2011, 05:02 PM
I think you should be shooting with the best camera you have considering the circumstances / conditions of the photo session.

The other day I was hiking and had with me the e520 + Oly Tough. At the time I wanted to submerge the camera in the water to get the shot I wanted. Hands down my best camera for the shot was the Oly Tough.

The Pen undoubtedly is a superb camera - get it!! I am sure it will serve its purpose based on the circumstances / conditions of the photo session. *chr*chr

Vic, I bought an Oly Tough for the underwater use on hols - its a terrific little camera !