PDA

View Full Version : Photo Safari in York... please help?

alert_bri
27th November 2007, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone,

as you may know, we're planning an Olympus Photo Safari on Saturday 8th December in York... if you have any suggestions for great photographic subjects in and around York then we would be very grateful for your help.

Also, if you would like to come along, or be kept informed/become involved in planning any future events, then please feel free to e-mail me via my profile here.

Kind Regards

Brian

Ian
27th November 2007, 10:15 PM
Hello everyone,

as you may know, we're planning an Olympus Photo Safari on Saturday 8th December in York... if you have any suggestions for great photographic subjects in and around York then we would be very grateful for your help.

Also, if you would like to come along, or be kept informed/become involved in planning any future events, then please feel free to e-mail me via my profile here.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian, welcome to the E-Group site.

Can I remind you that the you agreed to find out from the participants of the earlier photo safari you arranged if they would be able to provide some feedback about their initial experiences with the pre-production E-3 provided so that I could write an article for FTU?

Have you contacted anyone yet? Not heard anything since our last chat on the phone... a couple if weeks ago.

Looking forward to an update!

Ian

alert_bri
27th November 2007, 10:24 PM
Hello Ian,

I take it you didn't check your e-mail before posting this message then...

No need to remind me, I got the message loud and clear last night when you stormed off in a huff! lol

I contacted everyone in the group immediately following our chat week before last, and made sure they had your contact details so they could give you their impressions directly - they're all *very* independant free agents I'm afraid! I presume they felt they'd said everything in their own words in the field review, which I'm sure you've read here :
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3ult.html

The good news is, many of our group now have production level E-3's so hopefully will contribute their impressions here in due course - I'll pass the message on for them to register.

Kind Regards

Brian

Ian
27th November 2007, 10:59 PM
Hello Ian,

I take it you didn't check your e-mail before posting this message then...

No need to remind me, I got the message loud and clear last night when you stormed off in a huff! lol

I contacted everyone in the group immediately following our chat week before last, and made sure they had your contact details so they could give you their impressions directly - they're all *very* independant free agents I'm afraid! I presume they felt they'd said everything in their own words in the field review, which I'm sure you've read here :
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3ult.html

The good news is, many of our group now have production level E-3's so hopefully will contribute their impressions here in due course - I'll pass the message on for them to register.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian, sorry you got that impression? I thought we all had a great time.

You've not answered any of my emails apart from the ones arranging the shipping of the pre-pro E-3 I was evaluating on FTU at the time so you could use it on your first photo safari. It was disappointing because part of the deal for the supply of the pre-pro E-3 for the event was to gain some interesting feedback for FTU.

If you contacted everyone two weeks ago as you said you would and nobody felt inclined back then to get in touch, that's fine, there is of course no obligation or anything like that. I just had no confirmation - or anything one way or another.

Never mind, the moment has clearly passed now. Thank you for - at last - updating me.

I do hope your new photo safari goes well.

Ian

rich s
27th November 2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Ian,

Very pleased to support you on this forum. I was one of the original group using the pre-production E3's with Brian, and since this last week-end, am the owner of an E3!

I would be delighted to add my thoughts on the E3 - time with the pre-production model was very limited, and following that group meeting I added some notes in the Group report Brian has referred to.

Now I have become (almost) fully acquainted with the E3 - perhaps it would be more relevant and useful to add my findings from my current useage.

Let me know what would be best. :)

Sorry to have missed you last night, but spent an enjoyable time talking cameras and use of French language with your wife! (I work in beautiful Brittany!)

Regards
Rich Simpson

alert_bri
27th November 2007, 11:10 PM
Ian, I was simply responding to your 'reminder' above... there's no need to reframe what happened (although I can appreciate why).

I want to apologise again, that I should have tried harder to keep you informed as we were moving very quickly as a group effort on the review.

Why not join us in York? we're really only interested in working together!

Kind Regards

Brian

Ian
27th November 2007, 11:24 PM
Hi Ian,

Very pleased to support you on this forum. I was one of the original group using the pre-production E3's with Brian, and since this last week-end, am the owner of an E3!

I would be delighted to add my thoughts on the E3 - time with the pre-production model was very limited, and following that group meeting I added some notes in the Group report Brian has referred to.

Now I have become (almost) fully acquainted with the E3 - perhaps it would be more relevant and useful to add my findings from my current useage.

Let me know what would be best. :)

Sorry to have missed you last night, but spent an enjoyable time talking cameras and use of French language with your wife! (I work in beautiful Brittany!)

Regards
Rich Simpson

Hi Rich, Julia was telling me she really enjoyed chatting to you and your wife (I'm really sorry I had to drag her away as the Art of Lee Miller guided tour had just started). Julia is trying very hard to learn French and we have some very good friends in The Vendee who have done the old farm house routine and we're really impressed with what they have achieved. The husband, David, is one of our technical people who helped set up and maintains this site, among several others.

Thanks for the offer of feedback as a new E-3 owner :) A feature article on how everyone is getting on with their new E-3s would be excellent. If you could drop me an email (or private mail here) with some brief comments on what you really like about the camera, including anything unusual or surprising, and even anything you feel could be improved, I would be very grateful.

If there is anything we can do to help you or if you have any suggestions concerning the site, we're all ears! :D

Ian

rich s
28th November 2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the offer of feedback as a new E-3 owner :) A feature article on how everyone is getting on with their new E-3s would be excellent. If you could drop me an email (or private mail here) with some brief comments on what you really like about the camera, including anything unusual or surprising, and even anything you feel could be improved, I would be very grateful.

If there is anything we can do to help you or if you have any suggestions concerning the site, we're all ears! :D

Ian

Will do Ian!
Its quite a camera - and unlike anything else I've used, I'm struggling to find any real negatives about it. Main thing for me is to push the boundaries with it, get deeper, and see how it can work for the sort of stuff I like to do. Like Brian, I enjoy using legacy lenses - in my case Leica R's, so will do some street testing with those soon. With the big OVF - it all becomes possible!

I'll be taking it to Normandy / Brittany from 10 - 14 Dec and will have another chance see some of the early morning landscapes there. Would be interesting to base a report around that as well.

alert_bri
28th November 2007, 12:09 AM
I think the biggest thing that strikes me about the E-3 is that it's just so *flexible*... I get better exposure metering with my legacy lenses, the IS and high ISO capability makes low light shooting practical, the twisty flippy screen is far more useful than I ever imagined it would be... and the 5fps and general responsiveness, once you've gotten used to where everything is, this camera as a whole package is phenomenal.

The biggest problem E-1 shooters would have is the culture shock of the user interface for the first hour or so... but if you get stuck in, the camera reveals itself to be hugely capable.

Kind Regards

Brian

rich s
28th November 2007, 12:27 AM
I think the biggest thing that strikes me about the E-3 is that it's just so *flexible*... I get better exposure metering with my legacy lenses, the IS and high ISO capability makes low light shooting practical, the twisty flippy screen is far more useful than I ever imagined it would be... and the 5fps and general responsiveness, once you've gotten used to where everything is, this camera as a whole package is phenomenal.

The biggest problem E-1 shooters would have is the culture shock of the user interface for the first hour or so... but if you get stuck in, the camera reveals itself to be hugely capable.

Kind Regards

Brian

I agree about the exposure and metering. I was out with it today in very gloomy weather by the river, trying it at ISO's of 800 - 1250, and while I used -0.3 EV as default, adjustment was entirely predictable according to the subject tone, and there was never any blown highlight problem to deal with.

http://i.pbase.com/g3/29/3029/2/89567012.mmT0oYim.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g3/29/3029/2/89566983.hqpTpWfj.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g3/29/3029/2/89567026.RgLZFGAh.jpg

Ian
28th November 2007, 12:50 AM
I agree about the exposure and metering. I was out with it today in very gloomy weather by the river, trying it at ISO's of 800 - 1250, and while I used -0.3 EV as default, adjustment was entirely predictable according to the subject tone, and there was never any blown highlight problem to deal with.

http://i.pbase.com/g3/29/3029/2/89567012.mmT0oYim.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g3/29/3029/2/89566983.hqpTpWfj.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g3/29/3029/2/89567026.RgLZFGAh.jpg

Ah - now I can't see your pix in this thread - could it be a bandwidth allowance issue on PBase?

Ian

rich s
28th November 2007, 12:56 AM
Ah - now I can't see your pix in this thread - could it be a bandwidth allowance issue on PBase?

Ian

That's odd - I'm seeing the pix both on my post and your reply!
I can edit and re-post?

Ian
28th November 2007, 01:03 AM
That's odd - I'm seeing the pix both on my post and your reply!
I can edit and re-post?

It could be a cookie thing - as it's your PBase account, you can see your pictures?

Very odd! Anyway - off to get my much-needed beauty sleep :cool:

Ciao!

Ian

Glyn R
28th November 2007, 05:10 PM
I can't see the pix either.

alert_bri
29th November 2007, 07:20 AM
That's strange, I couldn't see the images initially, but now they show up fine? maybe it was an addressing issue...

Kind Regards

Brian

Glyn R
29th November 2007, 02:03 PM
I still can't see them.

Yorkie
30th November 2007, 12:50 PM
Hi All,

York is holding a festival of angels; ice sculptures and other Christmas events. Also there is an outdoor ice ring which provides some good shots.

http://www.yorkfestivals.com/metadot/index.pl?id=3295

Where and when are you meeting?

All the best.

alert_bri
30th November 2007, 01:25 PM
Yorkie, thank you so much!!!

I've contacted the organisers, and I'm meeting them tomorrow to scout out the area... this is absolutely perfect timing!

Please e-mail me (click on alert_bri top left corner) if you would like to be included in the planning, and kept informed of all the event details etc...

It looks like this is going to be a superb event for us!

Kind Regards

Brian

Barr1e
30th November 2007, 05:35 PM
No pix here either.

Regards. Barr1e

photonutter
30th November 2007, 06:54 PM
Not sure how far from York your safari will take you but if you get a chance check out Eden Camp. http://www.edencamp.co.uk/
Surely a good test for any photographer and camera and great experience.

alert_bri
30th November 2007, 07:13 PM
I think we'll stick to Park & Ride, everything within walking distance of the Minster... there will be plenty to keep us occupied I think, I'll do the scouting tomorrow.

If you think you can come, please e-mail me quickly, as I'll be negotiating the best deal on a meal and need to know numbers...

Kind Regards

Brian

RogerMac
30th November 2007, 07:24 PM
Hello everyone,

Kind Regards

Brian

Almost everything! A good view of the Minster is from the Nortern Eye. The Abbey ruins by night are also good - they are in the Museum Gardens which close at 5.30pm at present. You will probably need either IS or a tripod to get a usable picture.

photonutter
30th November 2007, 07:34 PM
I think we'll stick to Park & Ride, everything within walking distance of the Minster... there will be plenty to keep us occupied I think, I'll do the scouting tomorrow.

If you think you can come, please e-mail me quickly, as I'll be negotiating the best deal on a meal and need to know numbers...

Kind Regards

Brian

Something I'd love to do but unfortunately I work weekends and no holidays left for this year, so I'm unable to attend.

alert_bri
30th November 2007, 09:12 PM
Hi RogerMac, thanks for the advice... I think I'll just take my Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom - to keep things light and compact. I've bought my York Pass. and I'm looking forward to getting up there early in the morning to do some scouting for the main party next week - it makes all the difference when you can plan in advance, so hopefully my advance trip will be worthwhile.

Kind Regards

Brian

Ian
1st December 2007, 11:06 AM
We've done a number of photo safaris on DPNow this year and this one reminds me a lot of the one we did in Oxford in the summer. Myself and one other (Mike Parr) had Olympus gear to use that day. The gallery, if you are interested, is here :):

http://dpnow.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/808

Ian

alert_bri
1st December 2007, 05:08 PM
Hi Ian, some lovely shots there from your DPNow members... thanks for the link, I hadn't seen DPNow before.

We like to think of the UK Photo Safari group as a unique initiative... quite different from Photography clubs, Forum members meetings and the like. The difference will become more obvious over the coming weeks and months as our more ambitious projects come to fruition.

Watch this space ;)

Or better still, join us and become part of the movement!

Kind Regards

Brian

Ian
1st December 2007, 06:07 PM
Hi Ian, some lovely shots there from your DPNow members... thanks for the link, I hadn't seen DPNow before.

We like to think of the UK Photo Safari group as a unique initiative... quite different from Photography clubs, Forum members meetings and the like. The difference will become more obvious over the coming weeks and months as our more ambitious projects come to fruition.

Watch this space ;)

Or better still, join us and become part of the movement!

Kind Regards

Brian

I'll leave the revolution to you Brian. However, E-Group members will be very welcome on future DPNow meets and photo safaris :)

Ian

alert_bri
1st December 2007, 09:58 PM
Cool, you take care of the DPNow meets, we'll take care of the Photo Safari's ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Glyn R
1st December 2007, 11:08 PM
Park and ride is the only way to go to York this close to Christmas!!!!!

alert_bri
2nd December 2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, I parked at the Designer Retail Outlet just south of York and took the bus, dead easy and cheaper than sitting in traffic jams + paying for parking in the city!

Thanks for the tip!

Kind Regards

Brian

p.s. I've uploaded a few shots from my scouting trip to a gallery here :
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/york_photo_safari_dec_2007

Here's a favourite :
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/89765243/original.jpg

Kind Regards

Brian

Glyn R
2nd December 2007, 12:27 PM
There is a park and ride on the Ring Road which is closer and may suit depending on the direction you approach York. The railway museum is a great place on a wet day and its free.

alert_bri
2nd December 2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks Glyn, can you give us a location? I'd appreciate it...

Kind Regards

Brian

rich s
2nd December 2007, 01:46 PM
Nice pics Brian - you're enjoying your E3 aren't you!
Good to see the people shots as well.

alert_bri
2nd December 2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks Rich,

I've only recently started to take people shots in the street... it's a bit scary! lol

I took these with the E-3 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2 at f1.2(!) last week, on the train into London... the first is of my friend Andrew, the 2nd is of another passenger - happily in a good mood!

http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/89771027/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/89771038/original.jpg

I think this shows the E-3 is more capable, regarding legacy lens support than any previous Olympus DSLR - the improved AE system, together with the larger focusing really helps things.

Kind Regards

Brian

clickinhistory
2nd December 2007, 03:32 PM
Had to laugh at this, just taken some members of the Fuji site round York last weekend, well i say Fuji, but the majority were all using olympus cameras.

Not only is the city busy, well this weekend was the ST Nicholas Fair and no hotel space was available, the Xmas lights are on so the tourist trade is kicking in again.

My tips from living in the city are, park and ride or train, secure everything as the "borrowers" will be out in force, bring a mono rather than a tripod, look for the lesser known streets and views, York is full of classic views, some better known than others, looking at details rather than big images can be a joy sometimes, allow time for staying till it gets dark, so the lights really jump, in fact when it rains and it gets dark the older parts of the city really come to life.

Some images are available on http://www.clickinhistory14.blogspot.com look back at some of the older pictures for more of the unusal shots as I can not provide the floods, though given the recent rain, that might not be an issue.

alert_bri
2nd December 2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks very much for the tips... I hadn't considered the "borrowers" - but will remind everyone to be vigilant. We will certainly stick around for some evening shots, and park and ride is a given.

You have some interesting shots on your blog, do you have any from your Fuji group last weekend?

Kind Regards

Brian

rich s
2nd December 2007, 05:46 PM
Hi - enjoyed looking through your Blog pics. Nice moody and misty at Fountains Abbey - early morning start I guess ...! Which Fuji are you using? - S3 or S5 Pro? Interested to know how you feel colours are handles v Olympus.
Rich S

clickinhistory
5th December 2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks very much for the tips... I hadn't considered the "borrowers" - but will remind everyone to be vigilant. We will certainly stick around for some evening shots, and park and ride is a given.

You have some interesting shots on your blog, do you have any from your Fuji group last weekend?

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian just posted a few up on the same blog, not had time to really go through them yet.

clickinhistory
5th December 2007, 09:34 PM
Hi - enjoyed looking through your Blog pics. Nice moody and misty at Fountains Abbey - early morning start I guess ...! Which Fuji are you using? - S3 or S5 Pro? Interested to know how you feel colours are handles v Olympus.
Rich S

LOL Rich, thanks for the kind words. Fountains opens around 10, but it was winter. The pictures on the blog are taken with my old Fuji S5000 and over the last year or so, my Olympus E500.
Prefer the Olympus and yet miss the ease of use of the Fuji sometimes, but the Oly wins in the end.

alert_bri
5th December 2007, 09:57 PM
I like that first shot of the wheel... have you tried taking any shots from there?

By the way, I've uploaded some more shots from my scouting trip last week here :
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/york_photo_safari_dec_2007&page=2

Kind Regards

Brian

alert_bri
11th December 2007, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone,

we had a fantastic event on Saturday, and we're busily compiling a field report now... but just to say, the E-1 and E-3 certainly proved themselves once more as flexible all-weather cams!

Kind Regards

Brian

alert_bri
20th December 2007, 08:08 AM
Hello everyone,

we've been working hard to quickly prepare a field report following our latest UK Photo Safari in York... and I'm happy to announce it is ready for you to read here :
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3york.html

Thank you very much to everyone who made the event such a success - we were joined in York by :
Andrew Parsons
Andrew Swan
Rich Simpson
Tom Heslop, and his wife Marie
and last but not least, local photographer Peter Elven (a godsend!)

...apologies by Stephen Elliott who was called to work a weekend shift - unavoidable but sadly missed on the day.
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/90522487/original.jpg

I think the report reads very well, but I'd appreciate your feedback - we're going to be adding some more impressions by Andrew Swan and further photos to the slide show collections in the near future, I will post a message when the report is updated.

http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/90522488/original.jpg

We've also decided to include a ProShow Gold presentation at the end of the report, to showcase everyone's best shots from the event - I apologise to all the non-PC using audience, but we're planning to create a compilation DVD to go with our Calendar next year, which will include shows from every event - it should become a very interesting photographic guide to locations in the UK.
Please install the plugin if requested, to view the show - it's quite safe.

Well, that's enough from me, except to say a huge thank you to John Foster of biofos fame, for once again supporting our efforts by creating and hosting this report for us on his site...
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3york.html

Merry Christmas everyone! we're planning a massive campaign of growth for Olympus users throughout 2008 - I hope you will consider joining us at an event near you!
Kind Regards

Brian

PeterD
20th December 2007, 10:05 AM
A beautiful range of images on your site. Thankyou

PeterD

alert_bri
20th December 2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Peter, it's not my site... and I hope that we can eventually get together with Ian to do something with one of his sites in the near future. We're an organic group and rely on the kind support of the wider Olympus community...

Kind Regards

Brian

alert_bri
22nd December 2007, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone, just to let you know, we've updated the report with a further section by Marie Predki, and updated the slide show with further shots in the collection by Tom Heslop.

Thanks for your interest, the report has so far been read by over 800 visitors! if you would like to be involved in the planning and support of further events in the future, please feel free to pm me and I will send you more info.

Kind Regards

Brian

theMusicMan
22nd December 2007, 04:06 PM
Hey Brian

I am sure you will get loads of involvement from members here over the next few months. Count me in if possible, I'd love to come along... work and family permitting of course.

When / where is the next one schedule for ?

alert_bri
22nd December 2007, 04:16 PM
Hi John,

that's fantastic, thanks for your enthusiasm! it's much appreciated... we're just about to plan the next 12 months of events, so if anyone would like to be involved please e-mail me at this address : info@ukphotosafari.org

and you can register for our planning discussions & announcements for all events.

Kind Regards

Brian