PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Another E510 focus issue

Phill D
4th July 2011, 08:13 PM
I've been having some focusing issues with my new 50-200 lens on my E510. I tried a couple of birds and they didn't look sharp at all. So I tried something at f2.8 that would show up dof and it looks like the 50-200 lens is focussing around 5 inches in front of the focus point when the subject was about 6 feet from the lens. Is this a lens issues or a camera one? I've not noticed it on any of my other lenses so I'm assuming it's a lens issue. As the camera is an E510 is there anything I can do or does it mean I have to send both camera and lens into Oly for calibration?

I just tried the lens on an E620 and it focusses perfectly so I guess it's a camera issue. Don't understand why it hasn't shown up on other lenses. Anyone had anything similar/know a fix?

Phill D
5th July 2011, 09:06 PM
Surely some one must have an inkling about this?

zuiko-holic
10th July 2011, 11:45 AM
Is your 50-200 the SWD version or not?

I have both the non-SWD and SWD version and on my E-510 the SWD version did miss many shots. The non-SWD version worked better.

Greytop
10th July 2011, 03:47 PM
I've been having some focusing issues with my new 50-200 lens on my E510. I tried a couple of birds and they didn't look sharp at all. So I tried something at f2.8 that would show up dof and it looks like the 50-200 lens is focussing around 5 inches in front of the focus point when the subject was about 6 feet from the lens. Is this a lens issues or a camera one? I've not noticed it on any of my other lenses so I'm assuming it's a lens issue. As the camera is an E510 is there anything I can do or does it mean I have to send both camera and lens into Oly for calibration?

I just tried the lens on an E620 and it focusses perfectly so I guess it's a camera issue. Don't understand why it hasn't shown up on other lenses. Anyone had anything similar/know a fix?

Sadly I think you will have to send your E-510 back to Olympus to get it calibrated together with the 50-200 .
Without in camera 'user' focus adjustment (like the E-30, E-620 and E-5) it's the only option open to you.

Phill D
11th July 2011, 09:57 PM
My lens is new to me but is a secondhand non SWD version so from your experience zuiko-holic it should work OK. Huw I decided to see how muct calibration would cost so I called a local dealer who was very helpful but said it would be around 170 for the camera and something like 80-90 for the lens ouch, this lens has suddenly got very expensive. Now I'm in a dilemma and need to do lots of tests on all my lenses to check if it's the E510 body or lens (or maybe both?!) before making a decision on what to do. Seems strange I hadn't noticed anything before using the 50-200 which points to the lens but the lens seemed to work fine on an E620 which points to the body. What seemed like a reasonable deal is turning into a nightmare.

zuiko-holic
12th July 2011, 06:33 AM
Hm, truth is that E-510 has a pretty obsolete AF system and working with a long telephoto can be a bit tricky, especially at the long end of the zoom.
The very small viewfinder doesn't help either.

Let me throw some long shots.

Is the dioptric adjustment set to its default setting? Maybe what you see clearly through the VF is not exactly focused.

Did you accidentally misplaced the mirror of the camera trying to clean it at some point?

Have you tried a sturdy tripod and shooting a static object, preferably with Live View (and magnification on)?

Shooting wide open at 150-200mm (300-400mm) makes DoF very shallow, even the slightest movement may cause a mis-focused shot. Have you tried a smaller aperture? (like f/8 or f/11).

Selecting the center focus point only can be of great help. Deactivate the side focus points.

Moody weather can greatly affect AF performance. Try again on a sunny day with a clear sky?

Ok, I know some points above may sound a bit strange and probably you have done everything right, but I don't know anything about the conditions you performed your tests and you must exclude everything before you pay for an expensive calibration, especially when the lens works OK on other bodies and your E-510 has no AF issues with other lenses.

Phill D
12th July 2011, 07:27 PM
zuiko-holic to answer your questions in order
- dioptric adjustment is set to show the screen in focus to my eyes as usual so the images do look to be in focus as well as can be seen on the small OVF. I've not been manually focussing the shots though so it's all done by the AF.
- misplaced mirror possibly but I've never cleaned it or dropped the camera. Plus wouldn't it be out on all lenses if that was the case?
- tripod yes I'll try it with some more test shots.
- yes tried some smaller apertures it does make things better but doesn't fix it completely, just stretches the DoF to gradually get back to the proper focus point. When I found the problem I deliberately tried large apertures at a fairly close distance (about 2m) to see how far out it was.
- yep always use centre focus point only
- taken shots on sunny afternoon and indoors in fairly sunny conditions so far.
Thanks for taking the time to suggest things I appreciate the help. I've tried to be systematic in what I've done so far but haven't done lots of rigorous test shots yet. I agree that's the next job when I get time to do it definitely before resorting to sending it back to Olympus.

zuiko-holic
12th July 2011, 10:54 PM
- misplaced mirror possibly but I've never cleaned it or dropped the camera. Plus wouldn't it be out on all lenses if that was the case?
- tripod yes I'll try it with some more test shots.
- yes tried some smaller apertures it does make things better but doesn't fix it completely, just stretches the DoF to gradually get back to the proper focus point. When I found the problem I deliberately tried large apertures at a fairly close distance (about 2m) to see how far out it was.
- yep always use centre focus point only
- taken shots on sunny afternoon and indoors in fairly sunny conditions so far.
Thanks for taking the time to suggest things I appreciate the help. I've tried to be systematic in what I've done so far but haven't done lots of rigorous test shots yet. I agree that's the next job when I get time to do it definitely before resorting to sending it back to Olympus.

It really is a strange case.

Camera works fine with other lenses, Lens works fine with other cameras.
A bit akward.

I strongly suggest you upgrade your camera. Spending so much money to calibrate both camera and lens; I just can't justify it.

Zuiko 50-200 can really benefit from cameras with a more advanced AF system, like E-620, E-30 or E-3.

Of course, you are the judge of that, I cannot tell you what to do with your money. But from my experience, if you want to make use of "serious" lenses, you need an advanced camera.
I loved my old E-510, it was sharp as a razor, but I had (focus) problems when I used my Zuiko 12-60 and 50mm f/2 (in less than ideal lighting conditions). With E-30 and E-3? Problems solved.
__

Another long shot: Are the camera and lens updated to their latest firmware?

Phill D
13th July 2011, 06:01 AM
Interesting comment about firmware no I have never updated the camera from new. The lens I don't know about as it is new to me and was second hand. Would the firmware make a difference to the AF operation with the long lens?
The comments you make about the E510s operation with other lenses are a bit concerning, so far mine has worked fine with the two kit lenses and a 70-300 and 18-180 and 35mm, it's only the 50-200 I've seen this problem with. As you say the E510 is usually razor sharp and that's exactly why I like it. I actually bought an E620 for Christmas and to be honest I've been struggling to get on with it as it just doesn't give me the sharpness of the 510. However, it does seem to focus the 50-200 properly without any change to the focus adjust. So my dilema is, I was going to sell the 620 to offset the cost of the 50-200 lens and stick with the 510 however, the lens issues have thrown this plan up in the air.

zuiko-holic
13th July 2011, 06:40 AM
Interesting comment about firmware no I have never updated the camera from new. The lens I don't know about as it is new to me and was second hand. Would the firmware make a difference to the AF operation with the long lens?

According to Olympus Website:

E-520 Version 1.1 : 30th September 2008
Improved brightness level of optical viewfinder AF target points.

50-200 (non-SWD) Firmware Ver. 1.1
Improved exposure precision at wide open aperture

Although AF accuracy is not mentioned above, manufacturers often do not report all the improvements made in a firmware.

You can easily update both camera and lens from Olympus Viewer 2.

Just make sure your battery is fully charged.

The comments you make about the E510s operation with other lenses are a bit concerning, so far mine has worked fine with the two kit lenses and a 70-300 and 18-180 and 35mm, it's only the 50-200 I've seen this problem with.

The kit lenses, 70-300, 18-180 and 35mm Macro are all Standard-Series lenses.

Zuiko 50-200, 12-60 and 50mm Macro are Pro-Series lenses.

Pro series lenses greatly benefit from newer and more advanced cameras.
That's why I said earlier that if you want to take advantage of more "serious" lenses (Pro-Series) lenses you need a camera with more sophisticated AF system.

I'm not saying that Pro-Lenses do not work on E-510. When there was plenty of light, E-510 was very fast with 12-60 for example. But in (not so) low light conditions, the E-510 was struggling to focus properly. Zuiko 12-60 would hunt like mad while on my E-3 was fast and accurate in (really) low light.

I was surprised by how much better my 50-200 performed when I tried it on an E-3.

As you say the E510 is usually razor sharp and that's exactly why I like it. I actually bought an E620 for Christmas and to be honest I've been struggling to get on with it as it just doesn't give me the sharpness of the 510. However, it does seem to focus the 50-200 properly without any change to the focus adjust. So my dilema is, I was going to sell the 620 to offset the cost of the 50-200 lens and stick with the 510 however, the lens issues have thrown this plan up in the air.

The E-510 is indeed a very neat camera. Its weak AA-filter produces razor sharp images. Far sharper than E-620. E-620 is however a newer camera with a better AF system and a better camera overall. Its small grip isn't ideal for use with big lenses (like 50-200 or 12-60) though, unlike E-510 which offers a small yet better balanced body.

Unfortunately, you cannot have everything in just one camera. There are always trade-offs.

Phill D
13th July 2011, 08:38 PM
Ok maybe a firmware update would be worth it. May give it a go at the weekend thanks.

Phill D
27th August 2011, 04:26 PM
Just got my E510 back from Olympus. Took nearly 5 weeks to get it fixed, Only time will tell I guess if it was worth it. I must admit if they had said it would take so long at first I'd probably have thought twice. Apparently there was an electronic fault but it doesn't look like they actually replaced anything. The information that Oly provide about repairs is pretty poor so what they did for their 177 I'm not sure. Anyway from the attached image it looks like they fixed it. Just need to try it with all my lenses now.

Byford
27th August 2011, 10:24 PM
You must like the E510 a lot - 177 must be more than the camera is worth?

Phill D
28th August 2011, 06:06 AM
Yes you are right I did like my E510 and I figured I'd get a camera back that I could rely on to af accurately. Time will tell how well it works as I try it with all my lenses. Was it worth it? in hindsite probably not as the camera was fine with the kit lenses so I could have sold it and put the funds together to buy a new camera. Using the E510 again now is almost like starting again as all my preferred settings I'd established over the years were reset and I didn't save them so I'm having to remember them (with Wrotniaks help). Not sure I've quite got there yet. Lesson learn't there definitely. Overall I probably should have taken the opportunity to buy into micro 4/3 as Woofmix has done.

Byford
28th August 2011, 09:03 AM
I wasn't really being critical it's just that I own an E510 and the thread caught my eye. I post on this forum with trepidation as my involvment in photogaphy is mimnimal due to my main hobby (obsession?) being aeromodelling. I have found trying to take shots of a flying model very difficult with the 510 and 70/300, the small ovf and 3 focal points cause the lens to hunt all the time however for static shots I am very pleased with it and wouldn't consider selling certainly not for micro 4/3 as I still prefer an ovf even the 510 one.

Phill D
29th August 2011, 06:15 AM
It's ok I didn't take it as critical I was really just agreeing with you and reflecting on what other course of action I could have taken. As for the E510 and the 70-300 I like that lens but yes as you say that hunting makes it a pain to focus. Other people seem to be able to get bird in flight and airshow shots with it but I've found it very difficult and frustrating. For slower things as you say and for close up and macro shots though it's great.