PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 105 mm 2.8 Macro - any good?

Cathrine Stephansen
4th July 2011, 01:47 PM
For lack of finding a Sigma 150 mm macro, I see that 105s are still available. Can anyone tell me if the 105 is any good? Image examples?

Melaka
4th July 2011, 02:35 PM
Good but not as good as the 150mm.

Cathrine Stephansen
4th July 2011, 02:40 PM
Maybe why it's still available :p

Thanks!

Jezzer
4th July 2011, 04:15 PM
Hello Cathrine,
Don't really feel qualified to comment on the 105mm having seen your posts but I have personally found the lens to be very good for what I take. The build quality is good, the AF/MF switching works well and I think I use it for a larger variety of subjects than I might perhaps with a 150mm.
I've also recently used it with my EC14 and that seemed to work pretty well. I've recently posted some images with the E30 I've just got, some macro, some close up, some distance - it seems to produce across the spectrum.

Regards

Cathrine Stephansen
9th July 2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I ordered it and it's now waiting in the post-office for me :-)

Ross the fiddler
10th July 2011, 09:52 AM
Good but not as good as the 150mm.

I believe the optical quality is very good but the use is less conveniant (than the Sigma 150 macro) with changing from MF to AF. The focus ring has a push/pull action to engage & disengage the connection to the focus drive (it will turn in AF if left engaged) & there is also a switch to change from AF to MF. I believe it is recommended to turn off the auto lens return at power off (of the camera) to avoid damage to the lens. This needs to be confirmed by users of the Sigma 105. The other consideration with this lens is that the front moves in & out for focus & is fully extended for the closest focusing distance (which is the same for Olympus ZD35 & ZD50 macro lenses). The Sigma 150 is more conveniant with the internal focusing but is much heavier.

Other users of the Sigma 105 lens have found it very good & hopefully other members with it can add to this thread.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

*chr

Cathrine Stephansen
19th July 2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Ross! I hadn't seen the push/pull function on the focus ring to disengage... :o It seems to be focusing a little faster now...

yorky
19th July 2011, 07:14 PM
I love it, yes it takes a little getting used to the focusing as it needs to use 2 settings but optically it is superb. Good luck with it, I am sure you will enjoy it.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/505/Lilacea2_copy.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/37034)

Cathrine Stephansen
24th July 2011, 04:54 PM
I actually found that Japan Photo in Oslo DOES have the 150 mm for four thirds as well, so I must confess that I have gone and bought it...

(Get it while it lasts...)

I will try out both the 105 and the 150 before deciding whether to sell one of them, but I doubt that will if I find they can be put to good use. They both seem to be rather slow at focusing compared to what I'm used to with Zuikos, but they do bring me closer and were sharp enough... :D

Ross the fiddler
24th July 2011, 10:36 PM
I actually found that Japan Photo in Oslo DOES have the 150 mm for four thirds as well, so I must confess that I have gone and bought it...

(Get it while it lasts...)

I will try out both the 105 and the 150 before deciding whether to sell one of them, but I doubt that will if I find they can be put to good use. They both seem to be rather slow at focusing compared to what I'm used to with Zuikos, but they do bring me closer and were sharp enough... :D

Choices, Choices! ;)

That sounds like a dilemma for you, but I'm sure you will have fun deciding which one to keep & maybe you might even keep both of them. :D

I like the convenience of the constant (& longer) working distance of the 150 because of the internal focusing lens & the bayonet lens hood plus the tripod mount, but the weight is the disadvantage here (the more I use it, the more I build up my muscles). When the SWD fast drives to close to lock on, it is faster (& quieter), but it has to be remembered that it is still a macro lens & macro lenses don't necessarily focus fast for normal use (or any use). The good part with the focus ring on this one is that it can be manually focused to get it close before pressing the shutter button for focus lock & it doesn't have to be disengaged & this can speed up the focus lock considerably (so long as the subject is static). I believe both lenses are very good optically, so the 105 might be more convenient for size & weight in your kit bag, while the 150 is better for specific macro shoots where more distance is an advantage in not disturbing the subject & also lighting can just be a normal external flash (diffused is my normal use here) with the more generous working distance.

I'm glad you were able to get the 150 so you won't be regretting missing out on it, but now you have the opportunity to try both of them to decide which is best for your purposes, or maybe have the luxury of having them both.

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with them. *yes

Cathrine Stephansen
25th July 2011, 07:03 AM
And I did get my daughter an E620 with kit lenses 14-42 and 40-150, so I'm going to need a lot of lenses...:D