PDA

View Full Version : Resize Question

Graham_of_Rainham
16th April 2008, 04:18 PM
Hi All,

What is the quick any easy way to resize a file from RAW to 512kb ready for upload to this site?

Thanks

Ian
16th April 2008, 04:51 PM
Hi All,

What is the quick any easy way to resize a file from RAW to 512kb ready for upload to this site?

Thanks

This rather depends on what software you are using. If you can give details, I can formulate a procedure for you.

I recommend uploading to around 800 pixels on the longest side of the image and aiming for a file size of no larger than around 200K.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
17th April 2008, 04:37 PM
Ian,

Thanks for the advice, that is useful. However...

I need to change the question a bit.

What is the best software (quickest and easiest) to convert RAW to Web-Post size pictures.

Preferably freeware or shareware (cheap) and able to do batch process of files would be useful

Thanks

Graham

Ian
17th April 2008, 05:18 PM
Ian,

What is the best software (quickest and easiest) to convert RAW to Web-Post size pictures.

Preferably freeware or shareware (cheap) and able to do batch process of files would be useful

Thanks

Graham

I'd still like to know what photo editing software you use as it's possible that could be configured to work exactly as you need :)

I'm now using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom with increasing enthusiasm. You can set a preset that remembers the size of image, file format, colour space, compression, etc. and you can then output any number of selected images, which it will do automatically, one image after another.

If you have Photoshop, you can do something similar using Actions, though it's not as elegant and streamlined as Lightroom, but it can work very well.

As usual, I'd recommend that in Photoshop, don't use Save for Web if you wish to retain your image exif metadata info.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
17th April 2008, 05:28 PM
Ian,

As always that's really helpfull. Thank you

I have Elements 4, PS2, Master 2 and Picassa, each of which I use for different things (often on different computers)

Regards

Graham

theMusicMan
17th April 2008, 05:40 PM
I echo what Ian has suggested regarding Post Processing i.e. that Lightroom is indeed very hard to beat. One can create a 'preset' that does everything you want to an image, then export it at a certain size, pixel depth, etc - all with minimal clicks of the mouse.

I even have a plug-in for Lightroom that allows me upload images directly to my Zenfolio gallery account once I have processed them. I don't have to do any uploading from other applications - simply select an existing gallery, or even add the details for a new one, and let Lightroom do the rest.

Chillimonster
17th April 2008, 06:04 PM
another Lightroom user here, but i ten to do my pics in batches using the synchronise tool (for example last night i shot raw, and deliberatley underexpose the pictures as it was indoor skiing, adjusted one then sync'd the batch)

But agree that the output features of Lightroom are hard to beat. *yes

Graham_of_Rainham
18th April 2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys,

Looks like Lightroom is going to get seriously "Looked at"

Regards

Graham

Ian
18th April 2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys,

Looks like Lightroom is going to get seriously "Looked at"

Regards

Graham

There is a fully functional 30 day trial version available for download from the Adobe site. It has been difficult to log on since the 1.41 update was released last week, so good luck :)

Ian

shenstone
18th April 2008, 04:47 PM
Ian,

Thanks

Graham

Faststone fits yout specifications by a mile !
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Easy to install, free, Batch processing options are very good and it handles E500 ( which I believe you have) very well thanks...

Regards
Andy